What's new

Asylum RX razor

I like the uniqueness and design of the razor. When used properly it does provide a great shave. It's quite efficient. I can't say it will ever be a daily tool for me but will be fun to use occasionally.

Your experience with the RX pretty much mirrors my own & you sum up my own feelings about the RX very well with your last paragraph above.

I find the RX to be a pretty aggressive razor that demands concentration at all times. However, despite the aggression/extreme blade feel, it doesn't shave much closer than my other AC blade razors (Mongoose B2, B3 ATT SE1). In fact under my jawline, the other AC blade razors shave closer.

I have tried Feather Pro & Kai mild (non pink coating) in my RX & haven't noticed much difference in the shave. The RX does blunt blades very quickly & I only get 6 shaves from a blade, whereas with my other AC razors, I get 10 - 12 shaves. I only use 2 passes with the RX (WTG, then ATG), as if I use a third pass, I do get some irritation on my face.

My current favourite out of my AC blade razors is my ATT SE1. I do have to employ a 3 pass shave with the SE1 to get a BBS shave , but it is super smooth in use & never feels like it might bite.

Last edited:
Those are some great photos - thanks for taking them and putting them up.

I also needed a few shaves to get the angle figured out, but I've got it dialed in now and this morning I enjoyed a great shave. :thumbup1:

I think the reason that the angle takes a few shaves to get right is because the blade is presented at more of a downward angle (in relation to the handle) than most razors of this type.

View attachment 697421

Above, the Asylum Rx is compared to an ATT SE1. Both razors are positioned with the handle vertical. While there is some variation in various models, the downward angle of the Rx is to some degree greater than any of them. The Cobra Classic is the closest, although it is difficult to say with the Cobra Classic, as the handle itself is curved.

This is not a bad thing. It's just a little different, and takes a few shaves to figure out.

--Bob
Bob
Thanks for that insight comparison .

Seriously considering getting one....
$Sample-2_1024x1024.gif

I had been relieved when I received an email from DHL two days ago, to say that my Asylum had cleared UK Customs, as items I buy from the US are normally held by Customs until I pay a ransom via their website. I was therefore surprised when the DHL delivery driver arrived with my package & demanded £52 before he would hand it over. It appears that DHL pay the UK Customs, so any other UK buyers should make sure that they have sufficient cash, or a cheque book with them when the DHL man arrives, as they do not have any facilities to pay by card. QUOTE]

Mine arrived today after an abortive attempt to deliver by DHL, they then claimed that I was not at home after which the driver wanted to charge me £54 even though I had paid on line. Seems like, even though they have the Royal Warrant, they have a little work to do to catch up with some other delivery organisations. All sorted now and I can't wait until tomorrow to try it out.

Thank you snowman for the advise as I had the same experience with the RX, even using the straight razor approach with no pressure and long strokes. I think the pros are a bit too much for a precision tool like the RX so I have ordered a supply of Feather pro guards and hope they will do the trick for me as well.

10 straight perfect shaves now with the Pro Guard. For me it's the perfect combination and will continue to be my everyday shaving tool. The RX is the perfect single edge razor I have ever used and I have several.

First shave with the RX and a Feather Pro. Took a few strokes to dial in the correct angle but ended up with a near BBS. The blade had been used once in my Mongoose which, although it gives a great shave, is not my favourite due to it's ergonomics. The handle just doesn't seem quite right to me. The RX seems to be a natural extension to my hand.

LOVE this razor. Super intuitive and easy to use, way more so than my mongoose. My one complaint is it seems to clog easily if I am trying to shave a thick, multiple days growth beard with it, more so than other razors. When I use it every day, or every other day I do not see this as much, but it's not the easiest razor to rinse out between passes if you have some heavy facial hair. Otherwise, super happy customer here, this is the first single blade razor I can truly say that I love.

LOVE this razor. Super intuitive and easy to use, way more so than my mongoose. My one complaint is it seems to clog easily if I am trying to shave a thick, multiple days growth beard with it, more so than other razors. When I use it every day, or every other day I do not see this as much, but it's not the easiest razor to rinse out between passes if you have some heavy facial hair. Otherwise, super happy customer here, this is the first single blade razor I can truly say that I love.

+1 that was my only issue as well, but it is such a non-issue and just need to remember to rinse often, other than that it is one fantastic piece of hardware

I must be the only one who doesn't care for this razor. I really have tried to like it, but I just can't get a close or comfortable shave with it, with either Kai pinks or Feather pros. I have used both type of blades no problem in my other AC style SE's. I have many razors that I use successfully, both DE and SE including vintage injectors, which I do get great shaves with. On the SE side, I love the General, the Hawk, etc. Even my SE1 I do well with. It is a well made razor and I certainly am not thrilled I paid all this money for a razor I can't get along with. There is nothing wrong with my Asylum--no blade rattle and blade sits in there nicely with good blade stops. I have tried using different angles, no pressure, etc. I enjoy anything from mild to wild razors. I really enjoy the Merkur Futur and Mergress on the DE side, e.g. as well as the Muhle R41 and even the mild Feather AS-D2. Any ideas??

Some have successfully switched blades to the Feather ProGuard. Maybe that's an option for you. However if I'm remembering correctly, the switch was motivated by a desire for a smoother shave. But who knows, maybe it might offer you a solution. Best of luck.

I get a very good shave from it with various blades but it is not up to the standard of the ATT SE1. Still a great razor though.

I can not avoid weepers :-(
i am I can say an experienced wet shaver, i am also using a Mongoose without any problem..
I loaded a pro guard blade and tried different angles, long or short strokes ....and for sure no pressure ....
I am on my 3rd shave but can not have one without 3 or 4 small weepers....
I like the look the finish of my new (expensive) acquisition ,,,,but for the time being I am disappointed ...
What to do ?

thanks

TAM

So sorry to hear that weepers continue to be problematic, and I too have a tendency to get too aggressive with the ATG attempts, especially in the moustache area. What has worked for me is to start the ATG pass very conservatively, and slowly and gradually repeat the passes slightly more aggressively. If I try to nail it all at once, I usually am too aggressive and get weepers.

With the RX, I don't find it necessary to go ATG. I only do 2 passes WTG, XTG and I get BBS with the pro guard. I've tried the pro with it, but my technique needs improving. I'll be using the pro again when I feel confident I have improved sufficiently. It does behave like a straight so extra caution is needed. What a wonderful razor the RX is though. I get barber shop quality shaves without having to hone, strobe e.t.c.like a straight edge. This RX is shavers paradise. Glad I bought 2.

Top Bottom