What's new

Asylum RX razor

Regarding blades for the RX. Is it limited to only 2, the Feather Pro and Kai Captain Titan Mild that will fit? I know that the Feather Pro Lite will not fit due to the size and spacing of the tabs on the RX. I'm wondering if anyone that has some of the other AC style blades that also has an RX could comment? Specifically I'm wondering if the Kamisori blade will fit, or the Kai Capt original? I understand from other comments posted that the RX was only designed to use those 2 blades (Kai Mild and FP), but I'm curious if anyone has tried any others yet? Thanks.

I know that the Kai Captain Original fits also. I haven't tried one, but I have a package of them and it will probably be the next blade I'll shave with. So far, I've used the Feather Pros only with great results.

I have both the Asulym and the OneBlade. They are great, but quite different, razors. The biggest disadvantage of the OneBlade is the blade availability. Only a few vendors carry them worldwide. Also, the blade doesn't last for more than two good shaves, so it's very expensive for just two uses. The AC type blades last about 10-12 shaves. Finally, the OneBlade is a very mild razor comparing it to the other SE razors and that's a reason why many gentlemen sold their OneBlades after a few uses.

Asylum Rx is a great razor, in my opinion. I just had my third shave and it continues to impress me. I have many SE razors in my collection but don't use all of them. This one will possibly be a part of my rotation from now on.

I just ordered the ATT SE2 yesterday because I have never gotten a in stock notice from Bullgoose, even though I submitted my email address the very day Dave (@skypsyd) posted his first review.

The SE2 is the open comb version, apparently accepts Pro Super blades, and since I already have the full line of DE baseplates, I decided this route because I already have handles. I entered my email address again to see if I ever get an in stock notification, but this has been pretty disappointing as I was really looking forward to getting an Asylum.

I just ordered the ATT SE2 yesterday because I have never gotten a in stock notice from Bullgoose, even though I submitted my email address the very day Dave (@skypsyd) posted his first review.

The SE2 is the open comb version, apparently accepts Pro Super blades, and since I already have the full line of DE baseplates, I decided this route because I already have handles. I entered my email address again to see if I ever get an in stock notification, but this has been pretty disappointing as I was really looking forward to getting an Asylum.

SE1 takes professional supers also.

I do kind of want one of the Asylum razors however with the introduction of more new offerings into the marketplace the price of these seems to be going down as opposed to the mark that the King Cobra's used to be when they pretty much had the market. I'm having a harder time justifying this one when the ATT SE1 razor is truly outstanding razor and runs $185 (I already have that one).

If the price was lower, or if it came out a while back,when there weren't as many options, I'd likely already have pulled the trigger on this one.

Not that I haven't paid this much for other razors before, but with it at the $230 mark and with me already owning four other Feather Pro blade style razors, I'll likely just skip it.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Regarding blades for the RX. Is it limited to only 2, the Feather Pro and Kai Captain Titan Mild that will fit? I know that the Feather Pro Lite will not fit due to the size and spacing of the tabs on the RX. I'm wondering if anyone that has some of the other AC style blades that also has an RX could comment? Specifically I'm wondering if the Kamisori blade will fit, or the Kai Capt original? I understand from other comments posted that the RX was only designed to use those 2 blades (Kai Mild and FP), but I'm curious if anyone has tried any others yet? Thanks.

I tried the Feather Pro Super before realizing that the Asylum wasn't designed to use it, as that had been my go to blade in both the Feather SS and ATT SE1. It loaded but I could tell it was going to be balky coming out. The shave was quite aggressive, and somewhat edgy. When I finished it wouldn't release without using a knife blade. That's the only other blade I've tried besides the base Feather Professionals.

http://www.feather.co.jp/barber_e/barbers&hairdressers_2014.pdf

Above is the link to the Feather brochure that gives specifications to the various blades that they make. Of particular note is the difference in size between the different blade types, and the different blade exposure in their DX and SS handles as a result of this. I have a folding handle and Kami style DX, and I use Pro supers in both. It is my understanding that the only difference between the Pro and the Pro Super is in fact the size of the blade, and the blade exposure in the Feather handles. The KAI Captain Mild blades are similar, if not exactly, the same size as the Feather Pro blade.

It is not surprising that the Asylum will not happily accept the Pro Super blade given that it is larger. Regarding the ATT SE2, Stan has said that both the Pro and the Pro Super works in the BP and Cap, and the Pro Super is a more aggressive shave.

I tried to resist but couldn't. These have been in stock for a much longer amount of time than I anticipated. I could only let it sit in my cart for so long without pulling the trigger. Can't wait to give it a whirl!

I bagged mine the moment it came on. Now waiting with my fingers crossed.
Can anyone tell me the difference in shaving experience between the Schick injector and an SE razor please. I use and love my E4 injector with the Chinese Schick blades, but as of yet I haven't used an SE. I have the RX, the El-Jefe and the Hawk in the mail, all arriving late this week or early next.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
I bagged mine the moment it came on. Now waiting with my fingers crossed.
Can anyone tell me the difference in shaving experience between the Schick injector and an SE razor please. I use and love my E4 injector with the Chinese Schick blades, but as of yet I haven't used an SE. I have the RX, the El-Jefe and the Hawk in the mail, all arriving late this week or early next.

I've used both. Both are obviously stiff, sharp blade systems. The Feather AC style SE is less maneuverable due to the significant extra width. Of course it shaves a wider swath per stroke, but while I can take an extra stroke or two with an injector it is difficult to compress the AC-type blade to get into certain spots. The Feather types are all heavier than a Schick, which some enjoy. There are presently more AC-style blades available than classic injectors, which allows some degree of "adjustability" with them with respect to aggression in a single razor.

I will continue to use them both, but if forced to pick just one (assuming blade availability) I still like my Schicks a bit better.

I tried to resist but couldn't. These have been in stock for a much longer amount of time than I anticipated. I could only let it sit in my cart for so long without pulling the trigger. Can't wait to give it a whirl!

Unfortunately, I signed up for in stock notifications for this razor twice, and have not received a single notice of availability. Checking their website this AM, I see that these are apparently in stock. I have no doubt that this razor is very well made, and is a very solid performer. However through the ensuing weeks I ended up getting the ATT SE2 for almost $100 less than the RX. I already have four baseplates, all in open comb, and three handles for the ATT system, so adding the SE2 to the stable was a logical approach to get into AC style SE shaving. I have only shaved with it twice, and both times I was hurried and did not spend a lot of time with the shave. Normally I am a straight razor shaver, so getting a smooth quick initial BBS shave after two passes has merits for me. And this is exactly what I got with the SE2.

What I do like very much about the RX is the head angle relative to the handle. It is much more pronounced than the SE2 that appears to be closer to 90 degrees; however, shaving with the SE2 presented no problems in obtaining and maintaining proper shaving angle in my use. Had I received notifications on availability on the Asylum RX, I would have purchased one for sure. In fact I was holding off a bit waiting for availability. But when a few cycles went by where there was availability and I never got any notification, I decided to go in a different direction. For those of you that have the RX inbound, I have no doubt that you will be absolutely pleased with your purchase. All indications are that it is a very well thought out design that excels in practice.

I have been shaving with the RX everyday for the last several weeks. Without a doubt the RX is more aggressive than my Mongoose B2. I totally enjoy shaving with the B2 which has been my everyday shaver for the last year. For me the RX is a totally different animal. I LOVE IT. The challenge for me has been finding the right blade. I started with a new Feather Pro and found the shave super BBS, but a bit harsh and left my skin irritated. It did smooth up from the 3rd shave to the 10th. I usually retire AC blades after the 10th shave. I then decided to try the Kai Pink and for me it was by far the most harsh and irritating shave I have ever had with an AC blade. I don't know if it's the PINK coating they are applying to the blade or what. Tried the Kai Mild without the PINK coating and it was smooth, BBS, and irritation free for the last five shaves. I then tried the Feather Pro Guard. Wow, I think I have found the perfect blade for the RX for me. By far the smoothest BBS I have ever had with a Single edge Razor. This was extremely surprising since I had not considered a Pro Guard in the past thinking it was going to be too mild. I was totally wrong. It pays to experiment a little. Glad I tried the Pro Guard. I'm only on the 3rd shave with it, but so far it may be my go to blade in the RX.

After using the RX and then setting it aside after a rough shave a number of times I feel that I finally found the best blade and technique for me. I have to say that in my experience this is not a razor that can be picked up and provide the best shaves it is capable of out of the gate. Some may get lucky, but I believe it requires some trial and error as it is a somewhat unique design.

As others have noted before me, the strokes and technique used more closely relates to a straight than a DE (I use both regularity). I kept falling back on using the RX like a DE and no matter how light of a touch I had or what blade I used I ended up with some razor burn. I was starting to think this razor just may not be a good fit for me. Then I started shaving with it just like I use my straight. Long strokes, and absolutely no going over a spot that doesn't have a layer of lather. I also switched to a Feather Pro Guard blade.

The combination of the Pro Guard, no pressure, long strokes, and not going over the same spot twice before reapplying lather was the charm for me. The last few shaves I used this approach, 2 passes, one north-south, the second south-north I achieved excellent results. As with most men my beard grows in every direction on my neck. With a mild DE I go WTG / XTG / ATG and some buffing if I want DFS - BBS. With a straight I do 2 passes, N-S and S-N, growth pattern be darned, and I get a DFS - BBS. With the Asylum RX I used the same number and direction of passes as my straight and got...DFS - BBS in 2 passes. No irritation, no ingrown, no weepers.

I like the uniqueness and design of the razor. When used properly it does provide a great shave. It's quite efficient. I can't say it will ever be a daily tool for me but will be fun to use occasionally.

Top Bottom