What's new

Asylum RX razor

Tonight at 8pm central time I just happened to be checking news on computer and got notice of back in stock from BullGoose. I promptly completed an order, probably in about 20 seconds and got a confirmation, so one should be on the way tomorrow, or early next week at the latest.

Looks like that batch did not last long. I looked a few minutes less than an hour after ordering and they are all gone.

Yep, they went quickly. I happened to check my email about 5 minutes after the notification reached my mailbox. I immediately placed my order, and got word on another site that all the orders should go out today. Apparently they sold out in just over an hour.

I hopped on BG around midnight last night looking for A/S and noticed the RX in stock so I dropped one in the cart. I must have just got lucky? I'm a noob at SE's and haven't paid much attention to these threads. I picked up a Colonial General 2-3 weeks ago and love it. The General has been my gateway drug introducing me to this SE world. I'm looking forward to trying the RX. It looks like an interesting razor.

I hopped on BG around midnight last night looking for A/S and noticed the RX in stock so I dropped one in the cart. I must have just got lucky? I'm a noob at SE's and haven't paid much attention to these threads. I picked up a Colonial General 2-3 weeks ago and love it. The General has been my gateway drug introducing me to this SE world. I'm looking forward to trying the RX. It looks like an interesting razor.

I hear it comes with a barber to shave the whiskers that are popping up from your face. :)

Adding a few photos to the mix. The tongue and groove design of the razor's head is truly amazing.

I have now had a handful of shaves with the razor. Admittedly it took me a bit to find the right angle which, at least for me, was with the face of the head almost flat against my face compared to how I would typically angle my Cobra Classic or King Cobra. However, once I dialed it in the shave was incredible. Two passes was all that was required.

I am really going to enjoy getting acquainted with the Rx.

Those are some great photos - thanks for taking them and putting them up.

I also needed a few shaves to get the angle figured out, but I've got it dialed in now and this morning I enjoyed a great shave. :thumbup1:

I think the reason that the angle takes a few shaves to get right is because the blade is presented at more of a downward angle (in relation to the handle) than most razors of this type.

$angle2.jpg

Above, the Asylum Rx is compared to an ATT SE1. Both razors are positioned with the handle vertical. While there is some variation in various models, the downward angle of the Rx is to some degree greater than any of them. The Cobra Classic is the closest, although it is difficult to say with the Cobra Classic, as the handle itself is curved.

This is not a bad thing. It's just a little different, and takes a few shaves to figure out.

--Bob

Excellent shots! This looks like a truly unique and excellent quality razor that Phil has brought to market. I hope he keeps production up as it has unique attributes that other Artist Club razors do not have.

I started reading through threads about this razor here and other forums and the general consensus for best blade seems to be either the Feather Pro or the Kai Mild. Has anyone found a different blade they prefer?

I started reading through threads about this razor here and other forums and the general consensus for best blade seems to be either the Feather Pro or the Kai Mild. Has anyone found a different blade they prefer?

These are the two blades it was designed for.

Got up this morning and checked the tracking number. Mine should be here Tuesday afternoon.

I placed the order around midnight Friday night and he had shipped it and forwarded shipping conf by Saturday afternoon. TBH that's the level of service I have come to expect from BullGoose but I almost wish someone would tell Phil to take a weekend off once in a while. :001_smile

Yes, I placed my order early Friday night, and had a shipping confirmation and tracking number by 2 PM Saturday, This morning it showed in his local post office by 9:30.

I know these are in high demand, and are getting a lot of attention, ie my post here, but he does need to take some time off. Work is not everything.

I have now had a handful of shaves with the razor. Admittedly it took me a bit to find the right angle which, at least for me, was with the face of the head almost flat against my face compared to how I would typically angle my Cobra Classic or King Cobra. However, once I dialed it in the shave was incredible. Two passes was all that was required.

I have now had 3 shaves with my Asylum & after promising start, the shaves have been getting progressively worse. Today, when I applied the alum block, I nearly passed out with the pain!! The shave wasn't even super close. I used a a Feather Pro blade with 4 shaves on it & it felt like the blade was a blunt. I normally get 10-12 shaves with one of these blades in my Mongoose.

I can use a shallow angle with the Asylum (head almost flat against my face) going WTG on my cheeks, but on my upper lip, the shallow angle pulls & does not cut, so I have to go steep. Likewise, I also have to use a steep angle when going ATG.

I have ordered some Kai Milds to see if these suit me better than the Feather Pros, but until these arrive, I will swap back to my trusty Mongoose B2, using the Feather Pro from the Asylum. This should prove whether the blade is in fact blunt.

Last edited:
Is there a particular benefit in placing a used blade from another razor with a particular shaving angle in a new razor with a different shaving angle?

Maybe I'm not understanding it correctly. Or, there is a logic to it I'm missing.

Just seems that if you can afford a new $230 razor, then why wouldn't you use it for its first time with a new $1 blade?

Can you explain?

Is there a particular benefit in placing a used blade from another razor with a particular shaving angle in a new razor with a different shaving angle?

Maybe I'm not understanding it correctly. Or, there is a logic to it I'm missing.

Just seems that if you can afford a new $230 razor, then why wouldn't you use it for its first time with a new $1 blade?

Can you explain?

Apologies if I appeared miserly by using a blade with one shave on it in my new Asylum.

I always find the first shave with a new Feather Pro a bit harsh, so I didn't think it would be s good idea to load a new blade, which I knew would give be a slightly harsh shave, into a razor I had never used before. I hope that this is an acceptable explanation.

After swapping the Feather Pro into my Mongoose today, I can confirm that three shaves with the Asylum had blunted it. I find that when the Feather Pro blades have gone past their best in the Mongoose, they still shave smoothly enough, but the shave is just not as close. This was my experience this morning. I find that this also happens with the GEM SE blades I use in my vintage razors.

Top Bottom