What's new

Asylum RX razor

RX razor is finally out the door. Coming in in small batches. Bullgoose has them now (don't know for how much longer). Will set you back a car payment, but might be worth it.

Less than 30 minutes and already sold out. At least they have a notification list now.

I think it's a nice design. It has all the attributes of the Cobra but in a solid stainless 3 piece design without the wobbly latch mechanism. I always felt that made the Cobra very cheap feeling for its price. I think it will be a winner!

It was, if I get it correctly, 5 razors or so. I understand delays, but why such a small size of batch. After design is finished/verified/tested, it's completely automated. It's not a spaceship, car, submarine just 3 pieces of stainless steel processed by, I think, on programmable CNC. Sure it's more complicated design than top bottom plate, so it naturely takes more time to get it right initially, but when it's done it's done. ATT SE took time, but when it was completed there was no need to wait 3 days in the rain to get it.

Wow 230$ is a word! I don't like the way it looks, but it might work well as a razor design. I would go first with a Mongoose head only.

It was, if I get it correctly, 5 razors or so. I understand delays, but why such a small size of batch. After design is finished/verified/tested, it's completely automated. It's not a spaceship, car, submarine just 3 pieces of stainless steel processed by, I think, on programmable CNC. Sure it's more complicated design than top bottom plate, so it naturely takes more time to get it right initially, but when it's done it's done. ATT SE took time, but when it was completed there was no need to wait 3 days in the rain to get it.

Phil was talking many different scenarios as he was in conversation with the people producing the razor. One scenario was that the first batch of 100 was gong to come in four batches in the first week of 5/15/15. Then that changed to 50 each week. I don't know what it finally came as, but even at 100, there was just a lot of demand and it sold out quickly. What we need to realize is that CNC machining of stainless steel is not an easy process especially when there is more details to work out like the tongue and groove design over a top plate/bottom plate design. Even Joe at IB can produce only 100 Wunderbars per month. ATT is a different story because Stan pushes out a large volume of stainless steel razors and probably has more manufacturing resources at his disposal. This is not something that could be contracted to a factory in China to do.

I would say $230 is a little high for what it is, but then the Cobra razors were around the same price I think and they were made of Zinc alloy. But then again this is not Razorock Joe we are dealing with here(he prices items fairly).

I read a scoop about the shop that Stan uses somewhere in TN. That shop didn't look like a "shop". It looked like a small scale factory.

Can't wait for reviews by few lucky ones ( I was subscribed to the news, but didn't get any notification). I realize now the only way to buy it was to park on the webpage for the entire Friday which being at work I couldn't do.

Hope in a few days it will be clear if it was worth the long wait and high expectation. I don't know if it really noticeable improvements in quality of shave over att se, colonial, mongoose or old cobra ( don't have hawk yet ) is possible or its mostly intend to be a collector item.

When I initially saw design ( huntley razor) many years ago, Cobra was the only dude on the block,, now it' like half dozen of them, really tough market. Att Se is a terrific choice if one insists on stainless steel, and in term of price performance Colonial rules, ( might be displaced soon by 20$ hawk ). So it's difficult to see how asylums will fare in this new reality and if it can push beyond few hundreds of 'must have'

Phil said there were 45 razors in the first batch and in 2 weeks there will be 50 razors in that batch. And then in 2 more weeks it will be 100 razors in the 3rd batch.

I also was waiting for the newsletter from Bullgoose and then found out by accident that it was announced on their special members only FB page (which I subscribed to but didn't check on Saturday after diligently watching on Friday). Lucky for me, I got one about five minutes before they sold out. I also was following this razor ever since it was a plastic model of a HuntLee Katana. Was impressed because it had all the good features of a Cobra but was a three piece design and not a complicated many small pieces design. Anyway, on Tuesday, I should be taking delivery of the RR Hawk and this razor and will immediately do a comparison between the two. One will be the cheapest of the Feather AC safety razors, and the other the most expensive. Result will probably be like when I compared the Fine Superlite with the RR Wunderbar (both which I got within a week of each other), where the Wunderbar beat the Superlite, but was it really by $100 worth? This time it will be by $200 worth?

Can't wait for your review, If you are going to have them at the same day, are you going to consider using both in the same shave (on different sides), so it will be identical growth / soap etc?

I also was waiting for the newsletter from Bullgoose and then found out by accident that it was announced on their special members only FB page (which I subscribed to but didn't check on Saturday after diligently watching on Friday). Lucky for me, I got one about five minutes before they sold out. I also was following this razor ever since it was a plastic model of a HuntLee Katana. Was impressed because it had all the good features of a Cobra but was a three piece design and not a complicated many small pieces design. Anyway, on Tuesday, I should be taking delivery of the RR Hawk and this razor and will immediately do a comparison between the two. One will be the cheapest of the Feather AC safety razors, and the other the most expensive. Result will probably be like when I compared the Fine Superlite with the RR Wunderbar (both which I got within a week of each other), where the Wunderbar beat the Superlite, but was it really by $100 worth? This time it will be by $200 worth?

I also thought it would be a newsletter like for other items. I do not follow social media sites, so the first I heard of a release was this forum. I did sign up for an in stock notice so maybe that will help in the future.

I have no FB account, so I couldn't have been notified. Subscribed today via the website, not sure if it helps with following batches, can't compete with people who can afford watching it. What Stan did for att se was way more reasonable, a simple waiting list in order of times of request, same with mongoose. I don't thinkit's that difficult to maintain.

Got Mine in today, 1st shave in the am This thing is a heavy weight, the handle is a perfect homage to the Tradere, tolerances are perfect and fit and finish is fantastic, the unique design of the 2 piece head is very nice, especially how it fits together. Looking forward to this shave. Here are some pics.

proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

proxy.php
proxy.php

Yes please, will be a while before mine arrives. Just read a review on the UK forum and there are some things that could have been better it seems.

Thanks Gents, Well the 1st shave will be in the am, however I did get a chance to inspect in more detail once I got it home. Again, the fit, finish are outstanding, and tolerances at the mating points are perfect. Almost too much, as to separate the head from the base you need to be exact, but that to me just shows the workmanship, so it is a plus for me. Loading the blade is simple, however just have to be a bit careful while you load the scalpel. Once loaded however the razor seem to become just one solid unit, with the lines from the 3-pieces almost disappearing. Blade seats perfectly and even and just awaits your facial garden resting just behind the safety bar. All that is left is the shave and balance, but so far this razor is outstanding everywhere else. more to follow....

Wow. I have to say this is the first offering to make me consider buying a second safety razor to go with my Mongoose. Truly gorgeous and a unique mechanism. I'm also a fan of the satin finish.

Can't wait til you guys tell me how it shaves and compares to the other AC razors.

Top Bottom