Exposure Mode: Manual
Exposure Comp.: 0EV
Exposure Tuning:
Metering: Matrix
ISO Sensitivity: ISO 1000

$NGC_253__NGC_288 (1 of 1).jpg$NGC_253__NGC_288cropped.jpg

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
The object in the second picture appears much closer than in the first. This can only mean one thing- impending alien invasion.

Very cool! Have you ever considered getting a mirror lens for this kind of thing? Ive kicked around the idea since you can get a lens in the 500 and up to 800mm range for well under $300. Mirror lenses are not really good for normal photography as they give one heck of a strange out of focus area, however I've read they can be good for this as you are always focusing to infinity. You could probably get in a lot closer to things like planets, moons and galaxies.

$coming right for us.jpg

Nice work on the photo. I enjoy Hubble snap shots. It's amazing to know mere mortals can get this quality.
You are one of us, and not one of Them?

Very nice. Thank you for sharing.

BTW, I haven't checked but have you submitted a photo in this month's photo contest?

That's a great shot. Did you use any tracking? The trails look small for a 90 second exposure. Very neat!

Very cool! Have you ever considered getting a mirror lens for this kind of thing? Ive kicked around the idea since you can get a lens in the 500 and up to 800mm range for well under $300. Mirror lenses are not really good for normal photography as they give one heck of a strange out of focus area, however I've read they can be good for this as you are always focusing to infinity. You could probably get in a lot closer to things like planets, moons and galaxies.

Those lenses are not very good for astrophotography. They would work for the moon, but they are low contrast and prone to coma, making planets and deep sky work tough to get pleasing results. The other issue is focal length and speed: Those lenses are f/8, making them slow. At 500mm, without a sidereal tracking mount, you will get star trails/blur long before the f/8 lens can dump enough light on your sensor to resolve stuff like the OP's galaxy and globular cluster, even shooting at 3200 ISO. The quality of the coatings and alignment on even low priced mirror type telescopes will surpass the 500mm f/8 mirror type photo lenses. But no matter what long lens you use, you'll need to start using tracking.

Top Bottom