What's new

Astra Superior.... Which One?

I see there are two varieties. Astra Superior Stainless...and Astra Superior Platinum blades. Is there a difference? Which should I get? Why?

Thanks!

The Astra Super Platinums get a lot of high praise here. I find them to be a smooth blade with above average sharpness at a reasonable price.

The Astra Super Platinums get a lot of high praise here. I find them to be a smooth blade with above average sharpness at a reasonable price.
+1 As far as the blades that I've personally tried, this particular blade stands out in the crowd, i.e. Derby, Israeli Personas, Dorco ST-300s, and Super Iridium.

+1. The Superior Stainless Astras are excellent blades, as well. I find the Platinums to be a bit smoother, myself. Of course, YMMV!:001_rolle:laugh:

They are both decent blades. To my measure, the Superior Stainless is a tad sharper, while the Superior Platinum is a little smoother.

Nick,

I recently got some packs of the Superior Stainless (PTFE coated), and have found them to be very good; they feel (for me) sharper than the Platinum & Keramik, and gave an excellent shave.

Well worth a try :001_smile

Have fun !

Best regards

Russ

Both of these blades have quickly become reliable favorites for me. Only gillette super thins and feathers seem to deliver similar satisfaction.

The Superior Stainless Astras come in the blue/white packing, I believe. I bought a few recently and liked them. I don't know if there is a logical explanation to be found, but I have always preferred stainless over chrome or platinum blades regardless of brand. I find them smoother though that may be contrary to conventional wisdom.

I doubt a pack of $1.50 razor blades contains any Platinum, which sells for over $1600 per ounce.

However it is nice knowing that the two varieties are different.. I'll have to try the Stainless to see what all the fuss is about. Only have tried the Platinum.

I find the Plats. a touch smoother.

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure it's the Plats that are PTFE coated and the Stainless are not. I believe in this case, the "Platinum" part is being used as a quality level indicator, like silver-class, gold-class, platinum-class, etc. I seriously doubt there's any platinum coating unless it's a tiny additive to the steel itself.

there are so less infos on the internet about these blades. connaught says the stainless are PTFE coated and the plats are "platinum coated".

maybe procter&gamble can tell us something more detail about the astra blades?

Top Bottom