What's new

Astra Superior Platinum

Did Astra's blade design change or fake? Old blades on the left, new on the right.No numbers on the right side.

proxy.php

Mine are the same as the ones on the right, got them about a month ago from Amazon UK so I'd imagine they are real. I think it must be a design change I didn't know they ever had a different design though as I'm new to all this. They seem to shave well anyway.

The last couple of Astras I have used hav eww been like those on the right. Weird thing is happened mid tuck.....

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

The newer stock have etched printing as on the right. It will take some time for old stock to diminish depending on how much vendors are holding.
General consensus is the blade seems to be performing the same.

I just requested and obtained a refund (220 baht - $7 USD) before seeing this thread.
I bought the Stainless, but similar issue - print one side and no numbering, but also the 'dispenser' box is so badly moulded there's no hole to get used blades in and no way to get new blades out without removing the end!

I destroyed the packaging to get the blades out...
I remember my grandfather's plastic boxes - push new blade out top, slide old one in the bottom.
IMG_7656 end.JPG IMG_7657 used blades.JPG IMG_7658 new blade slot closed.JPG

I guess from what I've read here maybe I should give them a test... otherwise I'm stuck with Gilette (Thai super thins) for a while longer. Not that they're bad - I'm too new to judge (still waiting for a stick of soap and brush to arrive...) but I have managed with care (using nivea soap/shampoo) to scrape myself pretty clean. First shave kept it BBS for 24 hours, but felt a bit too 'fresh' for a good 6 hours afterwards.

Update: I'm going to give them a rest until my soap comes - using my Alum (not a shaving alum - it's a deodorant) I got quite a lot more sting than with my Ming-Shi and Super Thin shaves.

Attachments

• IMG_7661 blade out.JPG
    IMG_7661 blade out.JPG
    139.3 KB · Views: 25
I just requested and obtained a refund (220 baht - $7 USD) before seeing this thread.
I bought the Stainless, but similar issue - print one side and no numbering, but also the 'dispenser' box is so badly moulded there's no hole to get used blades in and no way to get new blades out without removing the end!

I remember my grandfather's plastic boxes - push new blade out top, slide old one in the bottom.
View attachment 924586 View attachment 924587 View attachment 924588

I guess from what I've read here maybe I should give them a test... otherwise I'm stuck with Gilette (Thai super thins) for a while longer. Not that they're bad - I'm too new to judge (still waiting for a stick of soap and brush to arrive...) but I have managed with care (using nivea soap/shampoo) to scrape myself pretty clean. First shave kept it BBS for 24 hours, but felt a bit too 'fresh' for a good 6 hours afterwards.

Update: I'm going to give them a rest until my soap comes - using my Alum (not a shaving alum - it's a deodorant) I got quite a lot more sting than with my Ming-Shi and Super Thin shaves.
Those look like fake Astra.

Welcomed to B&B.

I have never seen Astra come in plastic dispensers, they were always in cardboard tucks. Those dispensers look awful!
still waiting for a stick of soap and brush to arrive...) but I have managed with care (using nivea soap/shampoo) to scrape myself pretty clean. First shave kept it BBS for 24 hours, but felt a bit too 'fresh' for a good 6 hours afterwards.
Definitely use the brush and soap to build up a good lather and prepare the stubble. I have heard of some shavers using hair conditioner, even shower gel, but I think you will get better results with good preparation.
I further reccomend you check out the Shave Wiki, link in main menu bar, to develop good technique if you want to avoid razor burn.

View attachment 924586 View attachment 924587 View attachment 924588

Looks like a good call on the return. The packaging and blades has been exposed to high temperatures at some time.
MM879

Did Astra's blade design change or fake? Old blades on the left, new on the right.No numbers on the right side.

proxy.php
Really? I got a pack like that on the right at a local shop some weeks ago. I Thought that they were fake and so I threw them away without trying. Oh boy...

I just received a new order from Amazon. One hundred Astra SP in new packaging $9.50 shipping included.
Tucks now read 2017 Gillette ...Proctor & Gamble UK.
I don't notice any difference in the shave, been using these blades for at least three years.

Top Bottom