What's new

Astra Superior Platinum testing

I received a couple of tucks of Astra Superior Platinum blades in a sampler recently. Today was my first shave with one. I first stropped the blade as I normally do with all new blades, then loaded it into my 1957 Gillette Red Tip.

My normal shave is 3.5 passes: the first down the face and neck, the second across the face and neck from outside to inside, the third upwards on the face and neck, and then the last is a pass across the neck only from inside to outside.

The shave cream I used for this shave was the Hershey Lodge Cocoa-infused shave cream. It gives good protection and a nice chocolate scent when applying it.

Overall, the shave was outstanding. I ended up with a BBS shave, with just a very slight amount residual irritation. I had couple of weepers in the usual spot for me, which is the center part of my lower neck. I really was amazed at how smooth the shave felt, to the point where I was wondering if it was actually cutting anything!

Compared to my recent test of the Astra Superior Stainless in the same razor, I would have to say that the first shave with the SS was just a tad better because of the complete lack of irritation with the first shave with the SS. But the SP is really a close second, right on its bumper.

I normally expect four shaves from a blade before I toss it out. I'll report back on subsequent shaves.

Astra SPs are my go to blade, along with Gillette Platinums and Silver Blues since Polsilver Super Iridiums have gotten to be very expensive and almost non-existent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AstraSP USED TO BE my go-to blade, but the Astra Stainless has been much better for me, so I have ditched the SP altogether. That said, depending on the razor, there are some blades I like even better than the Astra SS.

AstraSP USED TO BE my go-to blade, but the Astra Stainless has been much better for me, so I have ditched the SP altogether. That said, depending on the razor, there are some blades I like even better than the Astra SS.

When I tried the Astra superior stainless I felt the blade was too rough for my skin. However, as with everything with wet shaving, your mileage may vary. As you stated, you prefer the superior stainless to the superior platinum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Astra SP was my first DE blade and I loved it. I bought a mild blades sampler pack which had Astra SS, and I actually thought they were even a bit better. Both are among my top blades.

I’ve only used a coupe of Astras, but I was happy with them. At this point and my limited experience, I would rate them number 3 behind Feather and BIC. But, there are still a lot to try.

My daily driver. Smooth and effective from first to last (about a dozen). Never feels rough, but I'll get some weepers if I push it to 15 or so.

Overall, the shave was outstanding
I find they do a fine job on the first outing, but they feel even smoother and just as sharp on #2.

Good for at least 7 shaves. I can get 14 out of them, but when I tried to take them further, they fell off the "sharp and smooth" plateau before reaching 21.

This morning was shave number 2. It was better than shave 1 relative to the irritation, as I had none today. I had the usual number of weepers. I still think the SP is slightly behind the SS, but will make the final determination after I'm done with four shaves.

This morning was shave number 2. It was better than shave 1 relative to the irritation, as I had none today. I had the usual number of weepers. I still think the SP is slightly behind the SS, but will make the final determination after I'm done with four shaves.
SP is cheaper and more easily available than SS from what I see.

I like to complete a tuck of blades (5) before coming to a view on a blade but the Astra SP is very close to the Astra SS. I feel the SP is a very little ahead of the SS but the GSB is still king. The 7 O'Clock SharpEdge is also a nice blade. Astra blades are very competitively priced at the moment so either version is great value for money.
I had couple of weepers in the usual spot for me, which is the center part of my lower neck. I really was amazed at how smooth the shave felt, to the point where I was wondering if it was actually cutting anything!
The weepers should be resolved by a change in technique for the lower neck; weepers are usually a problem with technique.

Astra blades are my daily blades and my favorite with the Feather (but way less expensive than the Feather blades).

They usually last me 6 shaves, with a blade flip midweek. I encountered one or maybe two blades that must had a small defect and gave me the impression of having a waxing instead of a nice clean shave.

I like to complete a tuck of blades (5) before coming to a view on a blade but the Astra SP is very close to the Astra SS. I feel the SP is a very little ahead of the SS but the GSB is still king. The 7 O'Clock SharpEdge is also a nice blade. Astra blades are very competitively priced at the moment so either version is great value for money.

The weepers should be resolved by a change in technique for the lower neck; weepers are usually a problem with technique.
The ss blades are sharper and less irritating if you prep well.Tatra blades and the Astra SS blades are very similar with the Tatras being just a bit sharper!

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom