What's new

Astra Superior Platinum, Real or ???

Just got these off Amazon, Astra SP's.

Can anyone tell if these are the real deal? I have three Genuine Astra blades and the blades them selves look identical to these but the Astra's I have, had a plain white wrapper. These have a printed wrapper. I also have four know bogus Astra blades and they are all barely etched with the astra name and no black lettering or numbers and also a white wrapper.

Asking because when I google Astra blades lots of folks mentioning fake Astra blades with pictures but none seem to match these or the box they came in. Picture of end of box shows what might be a lot # and date?

Was hoping these are the real deal?? If so going to order more.

EF3E3822-6538-46CB-A6B9-CEEAE4D15D7F.jpeg

88D7B4F8-E466-41CC-B0B8-EA78D1C7BDA7.jpeg

I got the same ones from Amazon about a month ago. They're legit and work well.
Thanks! Had a few in a sample pack and tried them out. Great blades, I'm able to get three good shaves out of them compared to my Personna reds and my Silver Knights at two shaves.

Thanks! Had a few in a sample pack and tried them out. Great blades, I'm able to get three good shaves out of them compared to my Personna reds and my Silver Knights at two shaves.
Yeah they're my favorite of all that I've tried. I get a week out of one but don't go ATG. Just swap it out every Sunday night for the week ahead. 👍

Real, and my overall favorite blade. The ones I’ve gotten recently from the past year like yours have been the best.

I have many batches from about 2017-now and they all vary a little with a couple batches being a little duller but still better then most blades. Some of my recent ones are very sharp and just as smooth as ever.

Are you sure your others are counterfeit? I know Astra has went through a few variations. Some of the ones I have are laser etched with barely visible logo and plain on the other side. I know they were made like that for awhile.

It seems crazy someone would want to counterfeit a blade that costs $8 a box when they can counterfeit one that costs $20-30 a box. Especially since $8 is about as cheap as even the junk blades cost so there isn’t a lot to gain by doing so. But I’m sure it’s been done since people have talked about it.

Real, and my overall favorite blade. The ones I’ve gotten recently from the past year like yours have been the best.

I have many batches from about 2017-now and they all vary a little with a couple batches being a little duller but still better then most blades. Some of my recent ones are very sharp and just as smooth as ever.

Are you sure your others are counterfeit? I know Astra has went through a few variations. Some of the ones I have are laser etched with barely visible logo and plain on the other side. I know they were made like that for awhile.

It seems crazy someone would want to counterfeit a blade that costs $8 a box when they can counterfeit one that costs $20-30 a box. Especially since $8 is about as cheap as even the junk blades cost so there isn’t a lot to gain by doing so. But I’m sure it’s been done since people have talked about it.
Exactly but I question whether it's even been done.

Can anyone tell if these are the real deal? I have three Genuine Astra blades and the blades them selves look identical to these but the Astra's I have, had a plain white wrapper. These have a printed wrapper. I also have four know bogus Astra blades and they are all barely etched with the astra name and no black lettering or numbers and also a white wrapper.

Asking because when I google Astra blades lots of folks mentioning fake Astra blades with pictures but none seem to match these or the box they came in. Picture of end of box shows what might be a lot # and date?

View attachment 1552809

View attachment 1552808

The barely etched ones could be the short lived lasered ones (2019/2020) that are also legit - how do they shave?

Have not tried those. Maybe in the near future I'll give one a try and see how it shaves.
I find the newer ones better but every batch is different. I believe all the newer ones say Ziletky on the box and the old ones say Jilet but it’s possible both were made at the same time. I don’t know what differences if any that name on the box means.

If you get a good batch of Astras it’s hard to beat. Almost as sharp as Nacet/Rubie while being smoother. Many blades just aren’t sharp enough for me but the Astra is almost perfection. Very similar to a GSB depending on the razor, I just find my good Astras a tad sharper then GSBs.

View attachment 1552809

View attachment 1552808
They look like mine. I've bought Astra SP blades for years on Amazon. There was a bad batch back in 2018 that had the laser etching you describe. They were unusably bad and I pitched them. All the others have had printing on both the blades and wrappers and have been excellent quality.

I just looked on Amazon for Astra blades and saw some for about $9.50/100 that said they were made in the Russian Federation, but the cheaper ones (currently about $9) say they were made by "Derby International LLC, dba KANAR". I wonder if Gillette has made arrangements to avoid Russian sanctions??

I find the newer ones better but every batch is different. I believe all the newer ones say Ziletky on the box and the old ones say Jilet but it’s possible both were made at the same time. I don’t know what differences if any that name on the box means.

If you get a good batch of Astras it’s hard to beat. Almost as sharp as Nacet/Rubie while being smoother. Many blades just aren’t sharp enough for me but the Astra is almost perfection. Very similar to a GSB depending on the razor, I just find my good Astras a tad sharper then GSBs.

I'm pretty sure the Ziletky and Jilet markings both translate to razor in English from Czech and Turkish. The blades are packaged with intent to be sold in different regions around the world. I've seen some packs with Arabic on them too.

I just looked on Amazon for Astra blades and saw some for about $9.50/100 that said they were made in the Russian Federation, but the cheaper ones (currently about $9) say they were made by "Derby International LLC, dba KANAR". I wonder if Gillette has made arrangements to avoid Russian sanctions??

Kanar is a beauty supply wholesaler that I've seen from several years ago. They have lots of brands they deal in and definitely predate the sanctions.

View attachment 1552809

View attachment 1552808
Glad you posted this. I LOVE this blade! I stepped away from the forums for a while and when I returned it seems as if they changed the packaging. I have heard there were some quality issues, but you all seem to think all is well? Glad to hear it.

Top Bottom