What's new

Astra Superior Platinum old vs new

So, after I found that Gillette changed significantly the 7 O'clock Sharpedge I decided to compare all of the PPI blades very old double wrapped stock vs. the new blades that say ©2017 on the packs.

Here are the blades I compared. Astra Superior Platinum. The pack on the left has been bought in 2010. The right pack is 05/18 laser etched. Note that in 2020 Gillette went back to black paint on the blade on this model.

Comparison has been done as usual. 2 consecutive days using a brand new blade in the same razor with the same brush and cream. I even used the same aftershave to compare post shave feeling objectively.

The blades are absolutely the same. Same feeling during shave and after that. Same closeness of shave right after the shave and in the evening. So nothing changed here.

astra old vs new.jpg

Thanks! I know it’s not your blade, but any differences with Tigers? Given that Astra’s were produced in the same factory once (maybe in 2010 still or not?).

Guido

Thanks! I know it’s not your blade, but any differences with Tigers? Given that Astra’s were produced in the same factory once (maybe in 2010 still or not?).

Guido
Who told you it's not my blade? I think you have mistaken me with someone here. I like both Astra SP and SS.
Which Tigers do you mean? There are 2 current models that are completely different.
That Astra has nothing in common with both Tigers. Do you think when Gillette sold Czech blades S. R. O. to the Czechs they left them the machinery? Pretty sure that is not the case.

Astra used to be made in Czech. I actually thought they still were but they switched over to Russia well over a decade ago.

I used Gillette silver blues for about a decade and sometime around 2000-2002ish I switched to Astra SP. I don't really remember why. Probably because they were cheaper and I found them in bulk online.

Skip forward to now and they're still the only blade I use and I still buy them in bulk online. I totally missed the laser etched versions. I bought another 10 years worth around 2020 and currently using those.

I can't tell and don't remember feeling any difference between what I was using the previous couple decades and now.

I was - just wondering about differences in quality between blades that share the same background.

Thanks,

Guido
Very little common background here. One very important thing to mention after I have tried almost 200 blades (probably 90-100 of them Gillettes): when a certain Gillette model changes plants the blade always shaves differently. I have expereinced this so many times, that I can claim it is true with a 100% assurance.
And sometimes they change the blades even while they are made in one plant (like in the Sharpedge case)

Thanks Ivan, that’s exactly why you are my go to blade-source :thumbup:. And now I’ll be silent. Promise.

Guido

lasta

Blade Biter

Guido
Hi Guido,

You are not going to get more Tiger followers so quit trying! haha.

Gillette bought the Astra brand in 1996. I think they continued to be made for a while in the local factory, but both of these green packs are made in Russia.

Czech Blades SRO came around later (2005 I think, don't quote me), but Gillette/P&G still owns the Astra name, so they can't call it that.

I think the current Tigers are made to similar specs to Pre-Gillette Astras, but either the machines got old, or QC dropped, but they are ground rougher than the old Astras.

There is a Russian source that claims Gillette played around with blade specs in the past few years (not allowed to post the link), so 2010 blades being different from 2017 is possible. I do notice subtle differences from my 2014, and 2016/17 GSBs.

Gillette bought the Astra brand in 1996. I think they continued to be made for a while in the local factory, but both of these green packs are made in Russia.

Czech Blades SRO came around later (2005 I think, don't quote me), but Gillette/P&G still owns the Astra name, so they can't call it that.

I think the current Tigers are made to similar specs to Pre-Gillette Astras, but either the machines got old, or QC dropped, but they are ground rougher than the old Astras.
Until they started making the new stainless steel Tiger and Tatra Czech blades only made carbon blades for Africa that were not intended for shaving. I believe I have read a couple of years ago that they didn't have the equipment for stainless steel blades and had to buy new in order to start making the new Tatras and Tigers.

The old Astra blades made in Czech are superior to the new rubbish Czech blades makes. Tiger Platinums are so rough on my skin. Although the Tiger Superior is much better, it goes south after only one shave. What the heck! Can't even imagine they would make blades like that back in the 80s, when 100% of men in the Eastern bloc shaved with DE razors.

Top Bottom