What's new

Astra Stainless vs Permasharp

Read good things about Astra SS Blades & have used Astra SP's for a long time. Always regarded stainless stel blades as the lower end of a brand, but experience with Voskhod, Shark SS, and now Astra SS indicates otherwise. The Astra SS was every bit as close & smooth as a Permasharp. A few more comparison shaves will give me an idea of the blade longevity.

How about SS vs SP comparison?
Both are good blades but personally I like the Astra SS blades over the Astra SPs. But between either of the Astras and the PermaSharp blades it’s too early for me to decide yet. I’ve only got one shave in with the PermaSharps

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
What Permasharp blade are you comparing them to?
I am going to go back and use those awesome "Silver Star's" you sent me last fall after this Arko-Sharko thing I've committed myself to is done. That is one awesome, underrated blade my friend. I'm gonna go research how much a "brick" of those are going for......

I am going to go back and use those awesome "Silver Star's" you sent me last fall after this Arko-Sharko thing I've committed myself to is done. That is one awesome, underrated blade my friend. I'm gonna go research how much a "brick" of those are going for......
$8 for a 100 on Amazon

FarmerTan

The Red and Gold Permasharps made in the PPI plant in Russia are some of my favorite blades. I also like the Astra SS.
Brother. Why do you do that to me? Did you know I have a cart full of stuff on the 'Zon at this moment waiting for me to check out? I'm buying a weather station to replace the one that the transmitter died on. Lol, when you're retired you actually need to get out of yer Lazyarseboy and look at the weather display thingy for the exercise!

And what are those Permasharp things? I'll to go look and see if I have any. I'll bet ya a hundred bucks that someone here sent me at least one in the over 4 years I been bothering you all!

Actually I used PermaSharp this morning. It is nice sharp and smooth blade, again, used in Karve with plate B. Comparing to Astra SS is it maybe a bit sharper and maybe it has a bit more feel on the face, but it is actually fairly smooth.
But, my problem is, (if it is a problem) that Karve gives a great shave with any blade I put in it, so sometimes is hard to say if one blade is better than other.
Astra SP never really did anything special to me, it was ok, but I take SS over it.

Brother. Why do you do that to me? Did you know I have a cart full of stuff on the 'Zon at this moment waiting for me to check out? I'm buying a weather station to replace the one that the transmitter died on. Lol, when you're retired you actually need to get out of yer Lazyarseboy and look at the weather display thingy for the exercise!

And what are those Permasharp things? I'll to go look and see if I have any. I'll bet ya a hundred bucks that someone here sent me at least one in the over 4 years I been bothering you all!

No need to get out of the LazyBoy!! You can get all the exercise you need debating blades here on B&B!! :a29: :a29:

FarmerTan

If you really want to raise some folks’ blood pressure just mention Williams or Arko
I'm at the end of my ARKO-SHARKO August and here's what my shave looked like today:
IMG_20200827_150035670.jpg

In the old Avon Capitol bldg. is some Tribute, with some drops of this mixed in:
IMG_20200827_150231289.jpg
It makes for a really nice face feeling, Summer time scent!

Astra SP's are sort of my dividing line. If you aren't as good as an SP you don't deserve to be in my collection. They are a great combo of smooth, sharp, and inexpensive. The SPs usually provide a drama-free and perfectly acceptable shave. I don't need to chase 'cheaper' blades to save money as the SPs are pretty darn inexpensive already.

And the Astra SS's are just a touch better :)

FarmerTan

Astra SP's are sort of my dividing line. If you aren't as good as an SP you don't deserve to be in my collection. They are a great combo of smooth, sharp, and inexpensive. The SPs usually provide a drama-free and perfectly acceptable shave. I don't need to chase 'cheaper' blades to save money as the SPs are pretty darn inexpensive already.

And the Astra SS's are just a touch better :)
Great minds!

Lol! Don't take offense my friend! I still ain't checked out on the 'Zon! I got some stuff on the 'Bay as well.

As soon as I get budgetary approval from the War Department I'm good to go. HOPEFULLY TONIGHT!

Top Bottom