What's new

Astra SS vs Silverstar

Now I have compared Astra SS and Silverstar for a couple of weeks.
I have tested the blades in the same way, each blade used three times each in Gillette Fat Handle Tech, Lady Gillette (for headshave) and Gillette Rocket HD 500.
Sure, there are differences between the blades, but I can't say that one blade is better than the other at all points.

If we start with Lady Gillette that I use for headshave, I experience Silverstar as a bit sharper than Astra SS.
I don't need as much buffing up on my Q-ball with Silverstar. At the same time, Astra SS is more smooth and comfortable.

In my Fat Handle Tech I find Silverstar a little sharper and more efficient than Astra SS, while at the same time Astra SS feels more smooth and comfortable.
And just like Lady Gillette, you don't need as much buffing with Silverstar.

If we move on to my Rocket HD then Astra SS is more efficient, more comfortable and even slightly sharper than Silverstar.
Silverstar and Rocket HD were not a good combination for me, it felt more like the blade was trying to pull off the stubble. It may have been a defective blade (poor QC?) So I'm going to test with a new blade later.

I tested a Silverstar blade in my Feather Popular and it didn't produce as good results as I get with Feather's own blades, or with Voskhod blades.

I like both blades quite a bit. I agree the Astra's seem smoother to me, but the Silver Stars get the nod for sharpness. Both provide smooth, comfortable, and trouble-free shaves for me at bargain prices. They live in the zone just under the high-end Gillette blades for me.

Next 6 shaves will be with my beloved English Ball End Tech.
First three shaves with Astra SS, and then three shaves with Silverstar.

@BigJ I do like the Silverstar this far, but I don't know if it's better than Lord Platinum (for me)...

Now I have compared Astra SS and Silverstar for a couple of weeks.
I have tested the blades in the same way, each blade used three times each in Gillette Fat Handle Tech, Lady Gillette (for headshave) and Gillette Rocket HD 500.
Sure, there are differences between the blades, but I can't say that one blade is better than the other at all points.

If we start with Lady Gillette that I use for headshave, I experience Silverstar as a bit sharper than Astra SS.
I don't need as much buffing up on my Q-ball with Silverstar. At the same time, Astra SS is more smooth and comfortable.

In my Fat Handle Tech I find Silverstar a little sharper and more efficient than Astra SS, while at the same time Astra SS feels more smooth and comfortable.
And just like Lady Gillette, you don't need as much buffing with Silverstar.

If we move on to my Rocket HD then Astra SS is more efficient, more comfortable and even slightly sharper than Silverstar.
Silverstar and Rocket HD were not a good combination for me, it felt more like the blade was trying to pull off the stubble. It may have been a defective blade (poor QC?) So I'm going to test with a new blade later.

I tested a Silverstar blade in my Feather Popular and it didn't produce as good results as I get with Feather's own blades, or with Voskhod blades.
Just like you I found Silver to be very dull with a mild Merkur. With my new aggressive razor it might be better.

I like both blades quite a bit. I agree the Astra's seem smoother to me, but the Silver Stars get the nod for sharpness. Both provide smooth, comfortable, and trouble-free shaves for me at bargain prices. They live in the zone just under the high-end Gillette blades for me.
+1

It's hard to choose between these two blades.
They are both great in different ways.
Astra SS is smooth, sharp and very comfortable, Silverstar is sharper, not as smooth and not as comfortable.

I do get closer shaves with less buffing with Silverstar but on the other hand Astra SS is more of a "feel-good" blade.

I bought 50 each so I have time to further investigate the blades and see wich one I prefer in the long run 😊

Top Bottom