What's new

Astra SP's Discontinued??

I've read several comments, including one from a retailer, telling that Astra SP blades will be discontinued, to be replaced with Czech Tiger blades. Any verification that this is actually true?

I've read several comments, including one from a retailer, telling that Astra SP blades will be discontinued, to be replaced with Czech Tiger blades. Any verification that this is actually true?

It seems crazy to stop selling the blade that is typically the most popular blade on Amazon and to replace it with a blade from another country nobody ever heard of.

Reactions: abj
I am doubtful about that information. Who is this retailer you refer to? Astra was an old blade produced by the Czech Blade Co, but the Astra SP is produced by PPI. Here is a discussion on it; Tiger Platinum (made in Czech Republic) - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/tiger-platinum-made-in-czech-republic.573834/

I went a read the seller's listing and scrolled through the thread Invicta referenced.

The seller's description is convoluted. It could mean they the seller will no longer stock Astra blades. They should have also have expanded on the fact that Czech blades used to make Astra blades, a long long time ago.

I am doubtful about that information. Who is this retailer you refer to? Astra was an old blade produced by the Czech Blade Co, but the Astra SP is produced by PPI. Here is a discussion on it; Tiger Platinum (made in Czech Republic) - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/tiger-platinum-made-in-czech-republic.573834/

It could mean they the seller will no longer stock Astra blades.
That is what I gather as well the retailer will no longer carry them, not that they are discontinued. He more than likely will get the Tiger blades cheaper and have a better potential profit margin than with the Astras.

Those Czech blades Tiger and Tatra are amazing, well packed double wrap, little glue, laser etched on both sides, so smooth and long lasting. Premium blades. Astra is just okay.

Looking at the Executive Shaving web page it is almost deliberately ambiguous, bordering on misleading. That seemingly intentional lack of clarity is enough to stop me using them as a supplier, for blades or anything else.
Maybe it's a cynical attempt to inflate the price of Astra SPs like what happened to Polsilvers.

Those Czech blades Tiger and Tatra are amazing, well packed double wrap, little glue, laser etched on both sides, so smooth and long lasting. Premium blades. Astra is just okay.
Could you please post a complete picture details of these blades Tiger and Tatra :thumbup1:

Astra SP blades are not sharp enough to give a great shave with my coarse beard. However, since that brand is one of their best sellers, I doubt P&G/Gillette/PPI would discontinue producing them.

If someone told me that the Toyota Corolla were being discontinued in the USA, I might believe that. With the rising popularity of SUV and crossover products, many car models have been discontinued, including the Toyota Corolla iM, which was originally a Scion product. However, other Corolla models are still being sold.

Top Bottom