What's new

Astra SP

Had my first ever shave with an Astra SP today and it turned out pretty well. I took off almost a 2 day growth of beard with it. The blade performed adequately but I’ve used better ones before , like GSBs and Gillette Yellows. It didn’t feel super smooth but not rough in anyway.It was decently sharp. I have some Astra SS that I use at times so I will be comparing the 2....Great thing is the economy of using these blades. I paid only 6.67 for the 100 I bought.

The attractive feature of Astra SP blades is that your last shave will be the same as the first, and you might just forget how many shaves are on it. The SS max out at 8 for me, and SPs have gone as far as 41. No shave fantastic, but no shave a dud either. The blades are consistent throughout the lot also.

Had my first ever shave with an Astra SP today and it turned out pretty well. I took off almost a 2 day growth of beard with it. The blade performed adequately but I’ve used better ones before , like GSBs and Gillette Yellows. It didn’t feel super smooth but not rough in anyway.It was decently sharp. I have some Astra SS that I use at times so I will be comparing the 2....Great thing is the economy of using these blades. I paid only 6.67 for the 100 I bought.
Your experience mirrors mine exactly.

These should really be the default starter blade in my opinion. I was late to the game with them. While I have other blades I like a bit more, I am always happy to load one into my razor and look forward to good shaves ahead. I use blades considered much sharper, but this one I find will cut me easily if I get sloppy. Any cuts I get are entirely because I fail in my focus on technique, but with moderate focus, these shave as good as my best.

The attractive feature of Astra SP blades is that your last shave will be the same as the first, and you might just forget how many shaves are on it. The SS max out at 8 for me, and SPs have gone as far as 41. No shave fantastic, but no shave a dud either. The blades are consistent throughout the lot also.
Likewise, it's a workhorse of a razor. I've gotten 3 digits out of an Astra SP several times. Others, not nearly as far.

They have never worked for me. I have used one for the last two shaves having been encouraged by the thread replies, but no - it still leaves my face rough and sore-looking. The one thing that I always get from SP is a lot of inflammation. Sadly I'll have to leave them alone for a long time and then try them again - I don't like to give up on a blade.

They have never worked for me. I have used one for the last two shaves having been encouraged by the thread replies, but no - it still leaves my face rough and sore-looking. The one thing that I always get from SP is a lot of inflammation. Sadly I'll have to leave them alone for a long time and then try them again - I don't like to give up on a blade.
[/QUOT
Unfortunately they just don’t work for me.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I quite like them. I have a few here that I might have to dig out. I have not used them for a while. I used to easily get 7 shaves out of a blade.

SPs were the first 100 pack I bought after my initial sampler pack at the beginning of my wet shaving career. Great blade for me that work in all of my razors. Worked through all 100 before picking up 100 Personna Reds and working through those.

For me, it's THE blade. Just as effective as any other, smoother first to last, long lasting, and even when at the end of it's run it gives fewer weepers than other blades at their best. Oh, yeah, and cheap.

My first blade in my first DE, Merkur 34c. A top tier performer for me, both the SP & SS, with the latter maybe a touch better.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
I was pleasantly surprised by the Astra SS blades, but the SP I am leaving behind.

For years I used Wilkinsons & Personnas. Then things began changing & I went to straights on weekends & electrics weekdays. I hadn't used Astras until just a few years ago. Astra SP may not be the sharpest blade, but it does shave smooth & close. I'll always have some on hand.

Top Bottom