What's new

Astra SP vs SS... Are The Blues Really Sharper?

Hiya Everybody! :)

Anybody have any opinions on whether the Astra SS or SP's are the sharper blade? I honestly cannot believe the image below (lower number means sharper)... I've found Green > Blue TBH...
Shredder.PNG

Since I started using a DE razor my main blade has been the Astra SP's. I recently tried the SS while in the middle of trying a whole bunch of new blades. After 2 uses I think I prefer the SS. But I'm going to have to used them back to back to know for sure. Try a sample pack & see what works better. With blades YMMV.

I actually prefer the SS but it’s a matter of degrees. The SP and SS are both good and I keep both in the stash.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
I've used both in an R41. The SSs proved a bit too edgy; SPs became my blade of choice in that particular razor.

May try a tuck of SSs in the Oristo, as it is a more forgiving razor.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Since I started using a DE razor my main blade has been the Astra SP's. I recently tried the SS while in the middle of trying a whole bunch of new blades. After 2 uses I think I prefer the SS. But I'm going to have to used them back to back to know for sure. Try a sample pack & see what works better. With blades YMMV.

I actually prefer the SS but it’s a matter of degrees. The SP and SS are both good and I keep both in the stash.
My face does better with the SS's, but...as the War Department will beat me if I by more blades I'll only be buying GSB's, as I probably have enough blades to last my lifetime honestly, since I've been using my current GSB for 41 shaves!

I find neither of them are that sharp. Of the two I prefer the SS blue blades. The greens give me a horrible shave.

YMMV is the ‘rule’ with blades, especially with blades!!

That said, I prefer the SPs, a very nice blade for me!! :a14::a14:

I have several blades which I like but when I want a dependable good clean shave I reach for the SPs. I don’t question that the SS blades may be sharper but I do prefer the “greens”.

Have both in my Den. The SP are great in practically any razor. The SS are to me sharper, and better with a milder razor.

For me, the SS blows away the SPs when it comes to head-to-head sharpness and smoothness and it’s not even close. I tested these against each other blind where my wife loaded the blade and I didn’t know what I was using until the end. It was an interesting experiment. Of course YMMV.

I have used both. The first thing I need to say is both are not top sharpness blades. Maybe a bit above medium level. Regarding sharpness. In some razors for me it seems the SP is sharper, in some - the SS.
So, YMMV. As other users have said, you need to try for yourself.

I have been using the Astra SP's and curious how the Astra SS's compare. But right now my blade box is full.

Platinum ones are most used by barbers, even Astra SS has coatings. Platinums are smoother than Astra SS blades, each person is different when comes to the blades.

Top Bottom