What's new

Astra SP vs. Astra SS

I’ve read so much about each of these blades. Figured I would finally test them out myself.

Shave #1: SP left side SS right side Gillette Slim on setting 4

SP was smooth, however had more blade feel than SS. Seemed to fall behind on pass 1 & 2 however ended with a BBS finish on pass #3 it did require some extra buffing on that third pass.

SS was oh so smooth. Barely any blade feel, but was so efficient! Smoother than the SP, and took down more stubble per pass. Ended BBS on pass #3 with minimal buffing. Even on my problem neck area.

Overall great BBS shave, I’d argue one of my best. Round one goes to the Astra SS. Round two in a couple of days, blades will be switching sides.
38B6BE5B-E5A3-41D6-85DC-4B542885D20D.jpeg

Just to elaborate.

Platinum sounds like a kind of precious metal.
Stainless sounds like boring stainless steel you find in watches.
Chrome sounds like the chrome pipe on a bike.

Psychologically a shaver is more than likely to go for platinum anything.

I’d expect the main advantage of the platinum over stainless is that the platinum alloy is supposed to wear harder and last longer. That’s how Gillette pitched their Platinum Plus blades back in ‘70, but it’s not as though their stainless blades stopped being great. A platinum blade doesn’t have to provide a better shave just because of the alloy. So try both.

I find it’s generally true - almost all my blades are Gillettes of various origins, and I have stainless blades I really, really like, but except for the occasional exceptional Spoiler they don’t hold up quite as long as similar platinum Gillette blades. But for me the longer life isn’t much of an advantage when I have a lifetime supply of blades. Might as well use them up. I don’t feel the need to hypermile blades.

All that aside, chalk me up as another who has had better shaves from the Astra SS than the SP, though it’s a very limited sample since I generally prefer to spend the extra money to get actual Gillette branded blades including vintage US made ones. I’ve never had as much as a whole tuck of any Astra blade.

SP was an ok blade, but nothing spectacular.
SS is better for me, smoother but as sharp as SP. I use it for 3 shaves (just like any blade), maybe if you are pushing the number of shaves on one blade to like 5 you may find a difference, but for my style, I like SS better.
Astra SS is candidate for 100 pack when the time comes.

Astra SP has been a good blade for me, don't know if I ever tried the SS. Youngest son likes the SP so we just buy in bulk.

Maybe I'll order a few and try them out.

Good man! The only way to decide is to try both for yourself!!

I enjoy both, but prefer the SP (just my $0.02!) :thumbup: :thumbup:

Round one goes to the Astra SS. Round two in a couple of days, blades will be switching sides.
You need to use a tuck of each to get a true picture on performance. I find they are very similar and it is hard to tell them apart. In use the SP seems smoother than the SS as shaves are added on the blade and I usually use both for > 14 shaves.
I have been trying to tell people that the SS is a better blade than the SP for a number of years. Clearly superior. I've never really understood the fascination for the SPs.
I don't know if there is enough of a difference to call the SS superior but they are certainly worth trying. They cost the same so a bit of Platinum does not seem to affect the price although I expect more of the SPs are sold to forum members. For some reason the outer packaging is different so I expect they are intended for different markets.

Does anybody else get bitten by these blades? I’ve tried so many blades but when I use any Astra blade I’m guaranteed to get a few nicks. With my normal favorites in my rotation I generally don’t cut myself.

You need to use a tuck of each to get a true picture on performance. I find they are very similar and it is hard to tell them apart. In use the SP seems smoother than the SS as shaves are added on the blade and I usually use both for > 14 shaves.

That’s impressive that you are able to get 14+ shaves out of those blades! I think the most I’ve pushed a blade to was 6 shaves. And I think it was an accident. 😬 I thought it would be fun to have a shave off between the two and see which one I preferred. YMMV of course. Both blades get a lot of love on this forum! Thank you for sharing!!

I have both SS and SP and wich one is the better depends on what razor I use.
Yesterday I tried my Fatip Grande OC with an Astra SP for the first time and it was a great match, better than with Astra SS.
I didn't feel the blade at all and it was incredibly smooth.
In some razors the SS is better and vice versa.

I’ve used both of these and I tend to always gravitate towards the SP blades. They’re cheap, and they feel the smoothest out of all the blades I’ve ever tried.

It’s worth noting I can never achieve a BBS shave. My face just gets torn up no matter what. So a pass with the grain and across the grain is all I generally do. In my pursuit of a decent shave with no irritation plenty of blades are serviceable. These just happen to be the ones I’ve had the best experience with over the years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've enjoyed both SP and SS but my go-to is SP for some reason. I haven't done a direct comparison but I've only gotten good shaves with both.

I tried the SP when I first started wet shaving and wasn’t all that impressed with them but I recently bought a box of 100 SS and waiting to try them out . Heard a lot of good things about them .

For years I used the personna red (UK packaging ) and felt they were good but decided this year to experiment with different blades .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom