What's new

Astra SP, Still a Good Blade?

I don’t like the glue but if I had to pick one blade it would be the Astra SP. it works extremely well with my face and the type of razor I gravitate to. There’s nothing wrong with the “SS” option either.

I used to like astra sp long time ago last time I used one was probably 5 years ago. I took a chance and ordered 100 off amazon and surprisingly they all have ink with the numbers instead of laser etching I don't see a date, but maybe idk where to look I guess I got old stock?

I bought a 100 pack a few weeks ago based on recommendation. Mine are the ones with ink printing on the blades. They are awful. I was using them in my new Mergress trying to find a more mild blade than a Feather. What a disaster. I finally loaded an Astra in my trusty 37C - the razor of razors for me. I ended up with two nicks and three weepers. Done with Astras. Glad I didn’t pay much for them.

I bought a 100 pack a few weeks ago based on recommendation. Mine are the ones with ink printing on the blades. They are awful. I was using them in my new Mergress trying to find a more mild blade than a Feather. What a disaster. I finally loaded an Astra in my trusty 37C - the razor of razors for me. I ended up with two nicks and three weepers. Done with Astras. Glad I didn’t pay much for them.
If you are used to Feathers, Astra SP will be a disappointment in sharpness. I do not like Feathers because they only last me a couple of shaves. If you are looking for something almost as sharp as Feather, I suggest BIC Chrome Platinum, Gillette Nacet, 7 O'Clock Black, PermaSharp Super, or Personna Israeli Reds.
If you do not need something as sharp as these, you might try 7 O'Clock Green, Gillette Plaitnum, Gillette Silver Blue, Polsilvers, and 7 O'Clock Yellow. If you are using the Mergress on an aggressive setting, the 7 O'Clock Yellows might be just what you are looking for. They are my favorite blades in a Muhle R41.

If you are used to Feathers, Astra SP will be a disappointment in sharpness. I do not like Feathers because they only last me a couple of shaves. If you are looking for something almost as sharp as Feather, I suggest BIC Chrome Platinum, Gillette Nacet, 7 O'Clock Black, PermaSharp Super, or Personna Israeli Reds.
If you do not need something as sharp as these, you might try 7 O'Clock Green, Gillette Plaitnum, Gillette Silver Blue, Polsilvers, and 7 O'Clock Yellow. If you are using the Mergress on an aggressive setting, the 7 O'Clock Yellows might be just what you are looking for. They are my favorite blades in a Muhle R41.
Thanks @RayClem

Top Bottom