What's new

Astra SP quality issues?

There’s a bunch of reviews on Amazon that say the Astra blades have changed are not as good as they used to be. Has anyone experienced this?

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
The Mods will likely take care of it for you eventually.
They will. Just one of the parts of their thankless job, lol.

As to Astra: I find, that if anything, the Astra SS is better now than it was. I have no idea about the SP, as I don't have or want anymore SP blades. They are not as kind to my face as the SS.

Astra SPs are definitely part of my ‘top-tier!’ :a14: :a14: :a14:

That said, my stash is from several years ago so I cannot comment on current quality.

Received a 100 pack of ASP recently. I am surprised to get those with the black print on the blades. It's ok for me, I like them. The new ones apparently have a light laser print instead. As I have not tried the new ones (by Procter & Gamble) I cannot comment on any differences.

On the other hand, I have read a few critics in other forums about the new blue Astra SS (Astra Stainless Steel). But that goes into the Astra SS thread.

FarmerTan

Received a 100 pack of ASP recently. I am surprised to get those with the black print on the blades. It's ok for me, I like them. The new ones apparently have a light laser print instead. As I have not tried the new ones (by Procter & Gamble) I cannot comment on any differences.

On the other hand, I have read a few critics in other forums about the new blue Astra SS (Astra Stainless Steel). But that goes into the Astra SS thread.
My Astra SS have that light laser print on them. My old ones didn't.

This light laser print on the new blades, as opposed to the black print on the older versions, is the main visual difference. Since ASTRA has been taken over by Procter & Gamble there is also a minor difference on the outside cardboard package.
Many blades have begun to replace the black print with that light laser print. Not only the green and the blue ASTRA. My SPUTNIK has the laser print now too (without change of quality IMHO).

These are all visual changes. The question though is, did the shaving quality of the blades change too? Did the production process of the blades change?

I bought a box of Astra SP's off ebay, and they aren't as good.

They also have no etchings on the blades.

I think they might be counterfeits.

FarmerTan

I bought a box of Astra SP's off ebay, and they aren't as good.

They also have no etchings on the blades.

I think they might be counterfeits.
Could be. If a person makes one penny off of one blade, that ain't bad money if you sell a whole bunch.

That's a beautiful dog! My neighbor was a coon hunter back in the day. I grew up playing with puppies and coons, ha.

I got Astra SS (laser etched) which are good. I find them better than the painted Astra SP.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

FarmerTan

I got Astra SS (laser etched) which are good. I find them better than the painted Astra SP.

I'll have to compare the two you mentioned. The SP did get better for me after a half dozen shaves, but I won't be buying any. Who'm I kiddin'? I don't need to buy any blades in this lifetime!

I bought some off amazon and had a mix of printed and laser etched. I am not able to tell any difference in the shave quality.

Could be. If a person makes one penny off of one blade, that ain't bad money if you sell a whole bunch.

That's a beautiful dog! My neighbor was a coon hunter back in the day. I grew up playing with puppies and coons, ha.

Thanks.

She has long since gone on, but I still have some of her blood in my kennel.

I hunted one of them tonight.

If you don't mind me asking, where were you raised?

I find, that if anything, the Astra SS is better now than it was. I have no idea about the SP, as I don't have or want anymore SP blades. They are not as kind to my face as the SS.
I always thought Astra SP blades were somewhat harsh. The Gillette 7O’Clock SharpEdge trumps it. So does Astra Superior Stainless.

IMO the Astra SS is sharper and smoother than Astra SP. Astra SP longevity may be better. YMMV

Top Bottom