What's new

Astra SP, Kai, GSB, Feather - Long-term Impressions

I like the fact that you use one blade as a comparison point against other blades you are trying. I did the same when I went through close to 30 blades last year. Only difference is that my comparison blade (shark) kept being either better or at least strong competition with everything else I tried.

I like the fact that you use one blade as a comparison point against other blades you are trying. I did the same when I went through close to 30 blades last year. Only difference is that my comparison blade (shark) kept being either better or at least strong competition with everything else I tried.
I didn't really plan having a reference blade as a strategy, but it was because all I used for my first year was my DE89 & a carton of Astra SP! :D

But I think it worked well, because Astra SP is so commonly used. Everyone seems to have at least tried an Astra once.

Thanks for the insight. I'm still in the DE89 Astra SP honeymoon phase myself.
You're welcome.

If I were you, I wouldn't hesitate to try Gillette Silver Blue too, when you get a chance. I would have been very happy with them as my first blade, and really like them now.

And when you start getting a bit more demanding in your razor's efficiency, Feather should be on that list to try at least once.

Good Luck!

You're welcome.

If I were you, I wouldn't hesitate to try Gillette Silver Blue too, when you get a chance. I would have been very happy with them as my first blade, and really like them now.

And when you start getting a bit more demanding in your razor's efficiency, Feather should be on that list to try at least once.

Good Luck!
I'm cheating on my DE89 at the moment and trying other razors, I have found the Astra SP is a good equalizer, as well as the Voskhod. I will definitely continue my tour of blades and GSB is still on the to do list, as well as Feather. I think the only "sharp" blade I have tried so far is the shark. It was just fine, but not something I would go out of my way to use. When I do try the sharp blades, I will probably run them through the DE 89 first, just because I am familiar with what it is capable of. Thanks for the tips.

I'm cheating on my DE89 at the moment and trying other razors, I have found the Astra SP is a good equalizer, as well as the Voskhod. I will definitely continue my tour of blades and GSB is still on the to do list, as well as Feather. I think the only "sharp" blade I have tried so far is the shark. It was just fine, but not something I would go out of my way to use. When I do try the sharp blades, I will probably run them through the DE 89 first, just because I am familiar with what it is capable of. Thanks for the tips.
No problem, buddy.

Enjoy the journey! :thumbsup:

Some people say shark are blunt, others say they are sharp. I tend to get on with less sharp blades better, and shark is one of my favourite - yet I still couldn't tell you whether I consider them a sharper or a duller blade.

I can't feel the sharpness of them like I can with a gillette yellow or a polsilver. Yet I can't feel that sharpness with a feather that I know is sharpest.

Some people say shark are blunt, others say they are sharp. I tend to get on with less sharp blades better, and shark is one of my favourite - yet I still couldn't tell you whether I consider them a sharper or a duller blade.

I can't feel the sharpness of them like I can with a gillette yellow or a polsilver. Yet I can't feel that sharpness with a feather that I know is sharpest.

Yeah I have even less knowledge as to what is sharp. I just go by what feels better and gets the job done. Astra SP and Voskhod blades seem to feel the best to me at the moment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah I have even less knowledge as to what is sharp. I just go by what feels better and gets the job done. Astra SP and Voskhod blades seem to feel the best to me at the moment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Where I am not a big fan of Astra and consider Voskhod to be one of the worst blades I have tried (but better than derby, dorco and swedish supersteel).

I just ordered a trial pack of Kai. So fat I get along well with
Polsilver
GSB
7 O'clock black

Feathers are a bit harsh in my world. I'll approach the Kai with eyes wide open. Thanks for the honest review.

I just ordered a trial pack of Kai. So fat I get along well with
Polsilver
GSB
7 O'clock black

Feathers are a bit harsh in my world. I'll approach the Kai with eyes wide open. Thanks for the honest review.
You're very welcome!

Feel free to add your user opinion to this thread, if you'd like.

Well done review! I like Astra GSB and Feather. Big fan of PPI blades. Had a shave this AM with a Wilkinson from my open pack stash in my Slim. On 3 it gave me one fine shave. I have not used one in a long time and was surprised!

It's funny how subjective all of this is.

For example, I agree with you on Feather, but not on Astra or Kai. That's OK, I'm not trying to say you did anything wrong, but same as you with Kai, I just never understood the praise for Astra as I find them not sharp enough and do not like them at all, where Kai is one of my favorite and recently most used blades - together with Feather.

What am I trying to say here... lol??

For those reading these reviews, both of us are correct on Astra and Kai, for our own needs, razors and skin/beard type. Reviews are good read, but only way to know for sure is to try certain product for yourself. Lucky for us, DE blades aren't that expensive, it's easy to try different ones.

Last edited:
It's funny how subjective all of this is.

For example, I agree with you on Feather, but not on Astra or Kai. That's OK, I'm not trying to say you did anything wrong, but same as you with Kai, I just never understood the praise for Astra as I find them not sharp enough and do not like them at all, where Kai is one of my favorite and recently most used blades - together with Feather.

What am I trying to say here... lol??

For those reading these reviews, both of us are correct on Astra and Kai, for our own needs, razors and skin/beard type. Reviews are good read, but only way to know for sure is to try certain product for yourself. Lucky for us, DE blades aren't that expensive, it's easy to try different ones.
Hey no problem buddy, and thanks for leaving the comments.

Yeah this is subjective, because amongst other things we have different bodies! Different skin types, and beard types. So I think the differences are more than psychologically subjective, but rather are physically different. Which is why doctors treat us individually.

So evaluating a blade using a razor on our individual skin & beard, is far different & more subjective than something like evaluating the quality of a 9/16" combo box wrench!

But I'm dying to know, do you find the KAIs sharp? Really sharp? Like a Feather?

Have not tried Kai so I cannot opine on it. Feather and 7OC Yellow are wickedly sharp. No doubts on that. Both smooth out after one round. Feather lasts three days. Yellow goes a week. Yellows are cheaper. Lately I find these yellows to be a great top tier blade for me. I go back and forth through my micro warehouse known as my shelf full of blades. Fun with the Slim too. The choices and I keep buying a tuck of this and that at Pasteur when I'm in my NYC office. Who knows what I'll buy next trip.

Kai if they have it. I have heard so much about them. The anecdotal information here tells me I'm missing out. Also the 7OC blacks get much positive press here. Survey Says!

But I'm dying to know, do you find the KAIs sharp? Really sharp? Like a Feather?

No, I don't. I have yet to find anything that's as sharp as Feather.
In my opinion though, they are not far off in sharpness, yet somehow manage to be "gentler" on the face. Also for me they seem to stay sharp longer. I consistently get 2-3 more shaves out of Kai blade than I do from Feather.

The KAI is sharp, but can't really tell if it's almost as sharp, or if it's general smoothness makes it seem just a tiny bit less sharp. Shave wise, they're about equal in my book, but I don't find the Feather to be harsh, just a little more likely to get a nick if you're not paying attention in some razors.

In my Rockwell, a KAI is good for about twice as many shaves than a Feather, before I can no longer obtain a nice smooth BBS shave.

Kai if they have it. I have heard so much about them. The anecdotal information here tells me I'm missing out. Also the 7OC blacks get much positive press here. Survey Says!
You aren't, in my opinion. I agree with most posters here in that they are nearly as sharp as feather. However, I don't find them smooth. They feel scrachy and definately not worth the price premium.

I think the KAI definitely feels more aggressive because of the width, but it doesn’t seem all that sharp to me. Not that it is dull, but I wonder if the aggressive blade exposure makes it seem a little sharper than it really is.

Top Bottom