What's new

Astra SP - I'm Sorry

There. I said it. After all the scorn I have heaped on this blade over the past year...I must apologize. They absolutely lit my face up when I first tried them...and the second time.

It's been a bit over a year now since I started this thing of ours, and I decided to give the ole Astra a final try. I used my 38C and Tabac, a combo which I consider baseline and which allows a blade, in my experience, to either succeed or fail on its own terms.

The Astra?

It performed flawlessly. BBS with 3 passes. No irritation.

It was me. My technique is MUCH better, and the Astra was allowed to do its job. I'm 3 shaves into the blade, time to toss it, and I've gotten 3 excellent shaves.

And at .09 a blade, I am glad we reconciled! :thumbup:

It's always been a great, consistent, blade.

It's the blade I use in any razor that is new to me because it holds no surprises.

I'm a huge Astra SP fan. I have a couple hundred in reserve. The other day, I ran across a blade sampler I have with Personna Reds, Rapira, and (I think) Voshkods, and I wonder if I'll ever get around to using those blades. Really, when I started using Astras, the quality of my shaves improved dramatically.

Last edited:
Ur experience sounds just like mine, I too came back to the Astras after a significant time apart, only to find out how much I loved them! There a great blade, and a great price too.

I just tried Astra SS (blue) after being familiar with Astra SP (green), which I like a lot. I think these Superior Stainless are even smoother than the Spuerior Platinums while being every bit as sharp or even sharper (I need to do a side-by-side). Anyone tried these side-by-side for a comparison? Seems everyone is on the SP wagon, but SS is at least as good if not better. It felt more smooth to me, but that's a sample of one shave. Astra SS cost about the same on Bestshave.net.

As far as Astra SP, they are an excellent blade, especially being widely available for under $10/100ct. I have a small stash of them (50), but am still working through various other blades. Rapira Swedish Supersteel seem very similar to Astras. Also inexpensive good blade.

I just tried Astra SS (blue) after being familiar with Astra SP (green), which I like a lot. I think these Superior Stainless are even smoother than the Spuerior Platinums while being every bit as sharp or even sharper (I need to do a side-by-side). Anyone tried these side-by-side for a comparison? Seems everyone is on the SP wagon, but SS is at least as good if not better. It felt more smooth to me, but that's a sample of one shave. Astra SS cost about the same on Bestshave.net.

As far as Astra SP, they are an excellent blade, especially being widely available for under $10/100ct. I have a small stash of them (50), but am still working through various other blades. Rapira Swedish Supersteel seem very similar to Astras. Also inexpensive good blade.

I usually use the SP's because of price, I used an SS 5-pack from my blade sampler and couldn't tell any difference, YMMV.

Also, I think Rapiras are very similar in that they are a great sharp/smooth combination and very cheap.

how do you think Astra's compare to Feathers?

I've used both, and like them equally. I think the feathers are a bit sharper, and i'm trying to figure out if that is what i want/need.

I reckon Astra is the gold standard. They are cheap and very reliable. My favourite blade. 100 bulk at Bestshave in Turkey for $8.00 is amazing! Get them before I do!

Feathers are definitely harsher for me, but it all depends on the person. From the reviews I would assume astra is sharp, but feathers are probably sharper.

Feathers are definitely harsher for me, but it all depends on the person. From the reviews I would assume astra is sharp, but feathers are probably sharper.

Depends both on the person AND THE RAZOR :001_smile

I prefer Astra SP in my Mühle Sophist R106
I prefer Gillette Blue SP in my Mühle R41 Grande
I much prefer Feather SP in my extremely mild Feather AS-1 DE

I must humbly admit that I too once despised astras but I now see that my technique was lacking. I now can get a great shave from a derby!

When I bought my razor I ordered 100 Astra SPs at the same time. I really like these blades and they have really eased me into DE shaving very nicely.
I find I get 4 good shaves out of one blade - 2 on one side flip it over and two on the other.

"I'm a huge Astra SP fan. I have a couple hundred in reserve. The other day, I ran across a blade sampler I have with Personna Reds, Rapira, and (I think) Voshkods, and I wonder if I'll ever get around to using those blades. Really, when I started using Astras, the quality of my shaves improved dramatically."

I used to be a big Astra fan before I discovered Rapira. Now I prefer Rapira by a mile.

DD

I recently bought 100 Astras. I had the same experience early on, and thought they were just too rough for me. Now I love them, but I find that they demand about as much respect (caution) as Feathers.

I have just switched to astra sp after using shark/asco in my 2011 R41 for a long time as it was the best i could work with, or so i thought.

And the result?

A one pass dfs/bbs no nicks or irritation, i didn't think it was possible i was really impressed by it.

The razorock xxx probably helped a bit as well.

Only problem now is i have the rest of my gear to use up.

"I'm a huge Astra SP fan. I have a couple hundred in reserve. The other day, I ran across a blade sampler I have with Personna Reds, Rapira, and (I think) Voshkods, and I wonder if I'll ever get around to using those blades. Really, when I started using Astras, the quality of my shaves improved dramatically."

I used to be a big Astra fan before I discovered Rapira. Now I prefer Rapira by a mile.

DD

I stockpiled the Rapiras. I really like every single one, especially the Ladas and the Platinum Lux's. I will get around to the Astra's at some point.. I do love IP Reds and the Voskhods aren't too shabby in the smoothness category.. but the Rapiras are overall better IMO. The Plat Lux reminds me of a 7o'clock black.

i just got a 100 pack of Astra sp, i hope you "smoes" are right--------- if anyone want to sell some personna reds let me know-
I can tell you one thing Presonna reds in my super speed kick butt, and Bic chrome plats in my 1604 do the same

Last edited:
I stockpiled the Rapiras. I really like every single one, especially the Ladas and the Platinum Lux's. I will get around to the Astra's at some point.. I do love IP Reds and the Voskhods aren't too shabby in the smoothness category.. but the Rapiras are overall better IMO. The Plat Lux reminds me of a 7o'clock black.

I have the Russian and Swedish Super Stainless Rapira blades (although I'm not sure if those are the same blades with different packaging). I definitely had some great shaves with those, but I have not found them to be as smooth as Astra. I think it might have been a QA issue as I've had very inconsistent shaves with the Rapiras whereas Astra is consistently good and always acts the same to me.

I have been wondering about corking the Rapira because I really have had some good shaves, but it's frustrating to have such inconsistent shaves, the Astras are worth a couple of extra bucks to be consistent IMO.

Top Bottom