What's new

Astra SP Finally Comes Good - After 18 shaves

Well, I haven't re-shaved as my face is still damaged from the last two shaves.

One thing I have to say that nicks shouldn't be because of a blade, be it a DE or a straight, but by the skills of the person, or opposed to a cartridge where one does not have any real control on how the blade makes contact with the face. The spring loaded multiple blades are made to keep the blade flat and against the skin at all times, regardless of area of the face and such, so with carts, getting a nick is quite easy, with a DE where one controls the angle of the blade, the angle of the approach, etc.

Same with straight razors, considering the training for pro barbers, having to test their skills on balloons.

So I still think that it's a question of pressure.

Well, I haven't re-shaved as my face is still damaged from the last two shaves.

One thing I have to say that nicks shouldn't be because of a blade, be it a DE or a straight, but by the skills of the person, or opposed to a cartridge where one does not have any real control on how the blade makes contact with the face. The spring loaded multiple blades are made to keep the blade flat and against the skin at all times, regardless of area of the face and such, so with carts, getting a nick is quite easy, with a DE where one controls the angle of the blade, the angle of the approach, etc.

Same with straight razors, considering the training for pro barbers, having to test their skills on balloons.

So I still think that it's a question of pressure.

Amazing the difference between us. I just had my 21st shave with the Astra, but this time used Trumpers cream. Nice and close yet again, with two very fine nicks.

With respect to what you are saying about nicks shouldn't be because of the blade, I don't really agree, given that I rarely get nicks with Gillette Super Thin SS and SuperMax SS blades on Merkur razors. And I wouldn't get any if I had them in this Big Roc razor, as they don't shave close enough. Also, with any of these razor and blade combinations I know I'd get seven of eight nicks if I use Arko Regular cream, but then get no nicks if I applied a pre-shave oil before using that cream.

I think there are too many variables at play - including the skill of the shaver - to generalise that it is only the skill of the shaver that causes nicks.

The only DE razor where I am applying the same pressure as for a cartridge razor is my Weber DLC - it's so mild with a Feather blade that it wouldn't cut close enough without the pressure. And curiously, despite having a Feather and the pressure, I've never gotten a nick from it.

Do you think you will attempt another shave with the Astra at a later date, of have you now had it?
Cheers,
Renato

Last edited:
I toss out my Astra SP almost after every shave. Feathers nicked me up real good and 7OC Blues gave me razor burns. Astra SP was just perfect, the price was amazing as well that I could throw it out each shave.

Well, I just can't even understand getting nicks... I used to get them with cartridges and electrics, but as I stated, it was because these are locked in, the angle of the blades, etc. you simply can't control it.

Shaving, like cars, cameras, computers, even cooking, etc, the (quality of) tools are important and matter to what can be done, yes, but... the person behind the machine will make the difference.

With a straight or a DE, it's a single blade, and how it is dragged on the face is 100% up to the person. Heck, I've even shaved dry and didn't get any cuts or nicks because I was going slow and carefully.

From my very first DE shave, I've never cut or nicked myself, which is the results of "catching" skin at the wrong angle or slipping.

I've done weepers at the beginning as I started with too much pressure, but that only took a few more shaves to understand why.

I understand that there are variables, but like many things, it's the skill of the person that will make a huge difference.

As you stated, if you use pre-oil for no-nicks, that does sound to me that it's a question of cushioning, where you need something that helps the blade glide ON the skin instead of into it... hate to say it, but that's angle and pressure again.

So I'm sticking with my idea that the odds are that you need a dull blade and something added for the gliding, because you need to compensated for bad technique.

I hope to not offend you, if anything, I really want to help, so that you don't nick or cut yourself.

It could simply be a question of using the wrong razor too. I have but a few and I see the difference between them, with only the slightest difference in their molds, making one with a larger curvature of the head than the other.

My Parker 96R, which is my daily go-to has simply been amazing for me, and my Gillette adjustable, set to the same level of aggressiveness (same distance of the blade to safety bar) as the Parker, is a completely different beast.

If the blade still is able to cut effortlessly after so many shaves, it's quite impressive, so I have to gather that you have very thin, or very soft hairs, as the fact is that blades do dull as you use them.

I do plan to continue using that blade a few more tries, but for my next one, I'll try a new one to compare.

One detail could also be that the coatings of the blade could also be a factor, that someone, your skin reacts to it, while others (like myself) once the coating is used, the blade starts causing irritation.

It's been interesting... and will be back to continue as I continue testing more shaves.

Well, I just can't even understand getting nicks... I used to get them with cartridges and electrics, but as I stated, it was because these are locked in, the angle of the blades, etc. you simply can't control it.

Shaving, like cars, cameras, computers, even cooking, etc, the (quality of) tools are important and matter to what can be done, yes, but... the person behind the machine will make the difference.

With a straight or a DE, it's a single blade, and how it is dragged on the face is 100% up to the person. Heck, I've even shaved dry and didn't get any cuts or nicks because I was going slow and carefully.

From my very first DE shave, I've never cut or nicked myself, which is the results of "catching" skin at the wrong angle or slipping.

I've done weepers at the beginning as I started with too much pressure, but that only took a few more shaves to understand why.

I understand that there are variables, but like many things, it's the skill of the person that will make a huge difference.

As you stated, if you use pre-oil for no-nicks, that does sound to me that it's a question of cushioning, where you need something that helps the blade glide ON the skin instead of into it... hate to say it, but that's angle and pressure again.

So I'm sticking with my idea that the odds are that you need a dull blade and something added for the gliding, because you need to compensated for bad technique.

I hope to not offend you, if anything, I really want to help, so that you don't nick or cut yourself.

It could simply be a question of using the wrong razor too. I have but a few and I see the difference between them, with only the slightest difference in their molds, making one with a larger curvature of the head than the other.

My Parker 96R, which is my daily go-to has simply been amazing for me, and my Gillette adjustable, set to the same level of aggressiveness (same distance of the blade to safety bar) as the Parker, is a completely different beast.

If the blade still is able to cut effortlessly after so many shaves, it's quite impressive, so I have to gather that you have very thin, or very soft hairs, as the fact is that blades do dull as you use them.

I do plan to continue using that blade a few more tries, but for my next one, I'll try a new one to compare.

One detail could also be that the coatings of the blade could also be a factor, that someone, your skin reacts to it, while others (like myself) once the coating is used, the blade starts causing irritation.

It's been interesting... and will be back to continue as I continue testing more shaves.
Thanks again for your thoughts.

Again, in very sharp contrast to you, I never get nicks from electric razors, and I own 4 types of them. I would get razor burn from them until I learned the trick of using medicated soap that dried out my skin prior to shaving (which incidentally increased the life of my cutters from 6 months to 3 years). After that, electric razor burn became a thing of the past.

And I extremely rarely get nicks from cartridge razors, and I own about 20 types of them.
I used to get plenty of nicks from the cheap disposable single and two blade ones when I used canned foam. But nicks are non existent with 3, 4 and 5 blade cartridges, and with the more expensive two blade ones when using good creams. With Schick Hydro that puts out a very slippery gel, I had to go back to canned foam to get a close shave as it and Azor 4 blade cartridge were not shaving very well at all with the expensive slippery creams.

The cheapest cartridge razor I have is the 3 blade Supermax one - 11 cartridges and a razor for $2. The shave is a bit rough, but nickless.

The Arko Regular cream and pre-shave oil incident I refer to was with a fairly mild Gillette 1948-1950 SuperSpeed razor and Gillette Super Thin SS blade. That razor and blade combination only very occasionally produced a nick with good creams and soaps, but stunned me when I got 6 or 7 nicks, including two that wouldn't stop bleeding, when I used Arko Regular cream.

I have my cork ready for my next Astra SP blade, it will be interesting to see what it does.

What soap or cream are you going to use when you do the comparison shave between the old and new blade?
Cheers,
Renato

I toss out my Astra SP almost after every shave. Feathers nicked me up real good and 7OC Blues gave me razor burns. Astra SP was just perfect, the price was amazing as well that I could throw it out each shave.

One shave!!!!

Have you considered perhaps marking your razor with a felt tip pen and just using one edge per shave. That way you'll get two sharp shaves per blade. I'm sure these blades weren't designed as single use items.

Interesting though how the Feathers nick you badly. I haven't been game to try my Feathers in anything other than my ultra-mild Weber DLC.
Regards,
Renato

One shave!!!!

Have you considered perhaps marking your razor with a felt tip pen and just using one edge per shave. That way you'll get two sharp shaves per blade. I'm sure these blades weren't designed as single use items.

Interesting though how the Feathers nick you badly. I haven't been game to try my Feathers in anything other than my ultra-mild Weber DLC.
Regards,
Renato

I never considered it. It's 10 cents a pop, I shave 3 times a week so thats 30 cents a week, $1.20 a month, $14.40 a year. So its gonna cost me a 12 pack of beer. I'm not too worried, I enjoy the feel of a fresh blade. I went 3 shaves without changing and it wasn't as satisfying as using a fresh blade. It's more mental than anything I suppose.

Thanks again for your thoughts.

I have my cork ready for my next Astra SP blade, it will be interesting to see what it does.

What soap or cream are you going to use when you do the comparison shave between the old and new blade?
Cheers,
Renato

I've been using my Proraso white tub almost exclusively, and that is what I've been using for these shaves.

I have a few others, including some creams but I usually find that the others aren't close to par to the Proraso. But regardless of the soap or cream, the result for the actual shave are the same, the biggest difference would be that some dry out faster during the shave (Nivea cream is terrible for that), or just leave my skin a bit dry afterwards.

It would be interesting if you'd do a video of one of your shaves.

I've been using my Proraso white tub almost exclusively, and that is what I've been using for these shaves.

I have a few others, including some creams but I usually find that the others aren't close to par to the Proraso. But regardless of the soap or cream, the result for the actual shave are the same, the biggest difference would be that some dry out faster during the shave (Nivea cream is terrible for that), or just leave my skin a bit dry afterwards.

It would be interesting if you'd do a video of one of your shaves.

I have Proraso soap in the green tub. It's not as slippery as other creams I have, but is a good performer.

No, no videoing of my shaves - I'm bashful.
Regards,
Renato

Update:

It turns out I was premature in my Thread Title.

Today was my 22nd shave with the Astra SP blade, and I decided to transfer it to my more aggressive Gillette Tech razor. The Gillette Tech is one of the mildest razors around, and I've never had a nick with it using Stainless Steel blades. But with the 21 one times used Astra SP and Proraso soap, I got a close shave and four fine nicks.

I still have difficulty comprehending the concept of people throwing this blade out after one to four shaves.

Meanwhile, I have corked a new Astra SP blade in the manner kindly related to me above, and have inserted that into my Big Roc razor. It will be interesting to see how the new blade cuts.

Regards,
Renato

I find that after 3 or 4 shaves all my blades tend to decrease in effectiveness. Whenever I've tried to push a blade past 3 or 4 shaves I find I get really bad shaving burns and bumps so I have adopted the 3-4 shave only rule. Don't know if its because I leave the blade in the razor between shaves that it deteriorates in such few shaves? The feather was the only blade that I think made it past 4 shaves but no more than 6.

I still have difficulty comprehending the concept of people throwing this blade out after one to four shaves.

The feeling is quite mutual in regard to your practice of using blades for such an extended period of time, particularly when by your own account they were poor performers for 17 (!!!) shaves.

The feeling is quite mutual in regard to your practice of using blades for such an extended period of time, particularly when by your own account they were poor performers for 17 (!!!) shaves.

I agree. Even the pricier blades are cheap enough that I wouldn't use one that didn't feel good from the very first shave. Everyone's mileage varies, and if he enjoys using a blade for 20+ uses, then that's his business, but I enjoy the feeling of a fresh blade. I use Astra SP blades, and at 10 cents each, I can't imagine keeping one for more than 3 or 4 shaves.

If a blade required 17 shaves before it started working for me, you can bet that I'd throw it away and find another blade that worked for me right out of the package. My face feels irritated just thinking about using one for so long.

You baffle me just as much! I don't throw out my blades after a fixed number of shaves but decide at the end of a shave whether it is still good to go for a next one. There are two spots on my neck with the grain all over the place which are crucial in that decission; when pulling starts the blade goes out or I will get red spots all over.

The number varies from 2-5 shaves in general, depending on the blade, the razor and the products I use, but everything over 2 shaves I consider to be good value. There are two extremes; with the Dorco ST-301 I needed 4 blades to finish one shave and on the other end is the carbon steel Captain (by Lord) that lasted up to 8 shaves, about the number I get from a SE-blade. I was genuinly startled to get 8 shaves out of a DE-blade, even more when the next Captain provided the same number of good shaves.

You haven't read my account accurately.
Regards,
Renato

I find that after 3 or 4 shaves all my blades tend to decrease in effectiveness. Whenever I've tried to push a blade past 3 or 4 shaves I find I get really bad shaving burns and bumps so I have adopted the 3-4 shave only rule. Don't know if its because I leave the blade in the razor between shaves that it deteriorates in such few shaves? The feather was the only blade that I think made it past 4 shaves but no more than 6.
Interesting the contrast between us. The burns and bumps I get in the first shaves, then they disappear as the blade gets broken in.

Still, we all have to do what works for us.
Regards,
Renato

There are two spots on my neck with the grain all over the place which are crucial in that decission; when pulling starts the blade goes out or I will get red spots all over.

I have this too! The grain on my neck goes both up and down so I have to be careful with my passes and buffing or I'll get irritation. A fresh blade is absolutely crucial.

If a blade doesn't feel good during the first shave, it's gone.

I've had a couple of Gillette Super Thins out of two packets that I threw out before completing the shave - they just didn't work like the rest of them.
Regards,
Renato

You baffle me just as much! I don't throw out my blades after a fixed number of shaves but decide at the end of a shave whether it is still good to go for a next one. There are two spots on my neck with the grain all over the place which are crucial in that decission; when pulling starts the blade goes out or I will get red spots all over.

The number varies from 2-5 shaves in general, depending on the blade, the razor and the products I use, but everything over 2 shaves I consider to be good value. There are two extremes; with the Dorco ST-301 I needed 4 blades to finish one shave and on the other end is the carbon steel Captain (by Lord) that lasted up to 8 shaves, about the number I get from a SE-blade. I was genuinly startled to get 8 shaves out of a DE-blade, even more when the next Captain provided the same number of good shaves.

Interesting. Would an alternative be to have one razor loaded with a super sharp blade for your troublesome neck area, while you cheerfully keep using the other blade on and on in the non-troublesome areas?

Anyhow, at 8 shaves from your Lord, I'd say you have hit the upper quartile around here.
Cheers,
Renato

Top Bottom