What's new

Astra SP - 132 bade test: Has the blade changed?

I am currently 3 shaves into the Astra SP (laser marked) test and the blades represent a different set of characteristics from the 100 blade buy I did about 8 years ago. I went through all those, using the last tuck about a year ago. They were my go to blade until I discovered Viking Sword.

I was wondering, these blades do NOT shave like those in my 100 blade buy. Has the blade been changed in the last 8 years?

I am currently 3 shaves into the Astra SP (laser marked) test and the blades represent a different set of characteristics from the 100 blade buy I did about 8 years ago. I went through all those, using the last tuck about a year ago. They were my go to blade until I discovered Viking Sword.

I was wondering, these blades do NOT shave like those in my 100 blade buy. Has the blade been changed in the last 8 years?
Funny you should ask that.
Having found that 7 O'clock Sharpedge bought in 2011 and the current 7 o'Clock Sharpedge are completely different, I am now on a journey to compare all P&G PPI made blades - old double wrapped from 11-13 years ago to the newer post 2017.It will take quite some time to do all models. But you are in luck - today I started the Astra SP comparison. Used a 2018 laser etched one. Tomorrow an old double wrapped Astra SP with the same brush, razor and cream. So I might be able to answer your question. Will post a separate thread.

I've used 2 or 3 Astra SP blades with the old print around 7 years ago and 2 with the laser engravings last years and to me, they seem the same. What I remember from using both the older ones and the newer ones is that they are not very sharp and just barely passing the test between an ok and bad blade. They also don't last very long and two good enough shaves is all I can get from them. YMMV, but I really don't know what others see in these blades.

I've used 2 or 3 Astra SP blades with the old print around 7 years ago and 2 with the laser engravings last years and to me, they seem the same. What I remember from using both the older ones and the newer ones is that they are not very sharp and just barely passing the test between an ok and bad blade. They also don't last very long and two good enough shaves is all I can get from them. YMMV, but I really don't know what others see in these blades.
They aren't the sharpest blades definitely. Require more aggressive razors. Many years ago a member on another forum had miscroscope photos that showed a particular grinding and honing angle. Somewhat steep. Add to that the platinum coating and of course they become a razor specific blade.
Many users here like them. Some barbers across Europe use them, And last but not least, many Italians love them, which beats me as most of them are supposed to have black whiskers that would require something sharper.

They aren't the sharpest blades definitely. Require more aggressive razors. Many years ago a member on another forum had miscroscope photos that showed a particular grinding and honing angle. Somewhat steep. Add to that the platinum coating and of course they become a razor specific blade.
Many users here like them. Some barbers across Europe use them, And last but not least, many Italians love them, which beats me as most of them are supposed to have black whiskers that would require something sharper.

It might be a just a coincidence, but I've notice a pattern with the ''Platinum'' coated blades being less sharp than say ''Stainless'' or other. Could their coating has something to do with it or it's just a coincidence? I really don't know, but the Gillette Platinum both dark and light blue aren't particularly sharp either and I've noticed that Nacet, Perma-Sharp and Minora are much sharper and they are all ''Stainless''.

Regarding what barbers use, I think a good barber can shave a person with pretty much any blade, unless it's very dull or defective. I've recently watched a few videos of how some stree barbers in India, Indonesia, Pakistan and other countries shave people without doing much of a prep, some of them are not even using a shave soap or a cream or they use a toothpaste instead and as you can imagine, they are using some local blades and not some of the highly recommended very sharp ones that we buy on the internet.

Yet the shaving quality is outstanding. I can't speak from experience if that would work on my beard, but judging how effortlessly they are shaving, I think it would. Then again they are using shevettes and under a certain angle they probably perform different than the way we shave outselves, who knows.

Blades are pretty much YMMV thing and are probably more controversial than anything else related to shaving.

It might be a just a coincidence, but I've notice a pattern with the ''Platinum'' coated blades being less sharp than say ''Stainless'' or other. Could their coating has something to do with it or it's just a coincidence? I really don't know, but the Gillette Platinum both dark and light blue aren't particularly sharp either and I've noticed that Nacet, Perma-Sharp and Minora are much sharper and they are all ''Stainless''.
Not a coincidence, but a logical difference. Most of the time when a company makes both a "stainless" and a "platinum" model, the Platinum is the milder. Platinum is added for longevity and smoothness of shave, not for more sharpness.

Not a coincidence, but a logical difference. Most of the time when a company makes both a "stainless" and a "platinum" model, the Platinum is the milder. Platinum is added for longevity and smoothness of shave, not for more sharpness.

My work of expertise isn't even remotely close to blades manufacturing or anything of the sort, so in that regard I really have no idea and I don't see how that would be logical for me or for people like me, which I assume are pretty much everyone on the forum. But since it's logical for you, then your current or past job is probably related to blade manufacturing or stuff like to make such big claims lightly like it's something that even a toddler should know. It's either that, or perhaps I'm just stupid, who knows 🤷‍♂️.

I am fairly certain that adding a platinum coating to a honed blade makes the blade slightly smoother and a little less sharp. However, the degree to which the blade is honed plays a major role in the sharpness.

For example, Feather Hi-Stainless blades have a platinum coating. They are reputed to be the sharpest blades of all out of the wrapper. They are honed to a extremely sharp edge, so much so that the edge is fragile.

BIC Chrome Platinum blades are not quite as sharp as Feather out of the wrapper, but by the second shave, they are every bit as sharp.

Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum (black) blades start out at mid-sharp, but as the coating wears off, they become super sharp.

Personna Platinum Chrome (Israeli Reds) are not quite as sharp as the above blades, but they are not far behind.

I like Astra Superior Stainless (blue) blades, but dislike Astra Superior Platinum (green). I very much doubt the the only difference in the two blades is the platinum coating on the green blades. I do not think the greens are honed to the same degree of sharpness.

What characteristics changed?
Are they now better?
My review of the blade is out
and for the stainless,

For example, Feather Hi-Stainless blades have a platinum coating. They are reputed to be the sharpest blades of all out of the wrapper. They are honed to a extremely sharp edge, so much so that the edge is fragile.
Exactly. That is why I wrote "Most of the time" in the post above.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Astra SP was the first blade I had ever purchased in quantity... unfortunately. They never felt particularly good to my face and my whiskers are not course or thick. I recently tried one and still find them to be a blade I would rather avoid.

The comparison of the old double wrapped Astra SP from 2010 and the new 2018 laser etched is over. I can tell you for sure they are the same. Will post a separate thread one of these days with photos.

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
Astra SP was the first blade I had ever purchased in quantity... unfortunately. They never felt particularly good to my face and my whiskers are not course or thick. I recently tried one and still find them to be a blade I would rather avoid.
I've never had good experiences with the Astra SP. I gave all of mine away.

Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum (black) blades start out at mid-sharp, but as the coating wears off, they become super sharp.

I have the pleasure of shaving (random selection) with the Black this week. I do use term pleasure to mean that I really love this blade for an enjoyable shave. It is both sharp and super smooth. I am shaving with it yesterday and today in Rocca.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
I've got about 300 Astra SP blades at the moment. Love them. But then, I use slants almost exclusively and don't have much experience (and that years ago) on a plain DE.

O.H.

Top Bottom