What's new

Astra Blue Fan

anyone know why they are often priced differently?
I've gotten both the SS and the SP in packages of 100 blades (20 tucks) for the same price on Amazon.

I like both types, but the SS seem a bit sharper and smoother to me in my Merkur 38c.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

I have never tried Astra SS but I do enjoy Astra SP.
Now I have ordered 50 Astra SS to see if they are as good as Astra SP.
I hope I will get them next week.

I have a coarse beard and am not a fan of Astra SP blades. They just are not sharp enough to give me a great shave. However, the Astra SS blades I have are great, both smooth and sharp. They are not my favorite blade, but they are good enough to warrant a bulk purchase.

I've gotten both the SS and the SP in packages of 100 blades (20 tucks) for the same price on Amazon.

I like both types, but the SS seem a bit sharper and smoother to me in my Merkur 38c.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

not always the case with other vendors. At least in the past, including amazon. Separately, this is the first time I have purchased blades in a couple years. Is it just me, or have several popular vendors increased their pricing for a number of brands?

Recent I lost my blade stash in an unfortunate occurrence that I won’t go into detail here. It was bad. Sok I have started restocking with some Rapira PL blades, got 200 of them and they are decent enough. I thought I’d revisit the Astra Stainless so I’ve ordered 100 of them. They always gave me a good shave in the past. Sharp and smooth enough I say! I figure I’ll do with less and buy no more other brands for as long as I can hold out. Who here loves and uses the Stainless Astras? Are they your favorite blade? What are your thoughts on them?

Your Mom threw your stash out while helping you clean out the crib?

Man, I've been there. I had just under a hundred Voskhods and Sharks thrown out in similar circumstances.

Man, I've been there. I had just under a hundred Voskhods and Sharks thrown out in similar circumstances.

Yeah, it was by a family member....
now I stock up discreetly. A friend gets them for me through Amazon. I had so many great blades too. I live on a tight budget but fortunately and recently got some GSB blades... they’re much better than the Astras. My new favorites! I plan to get more of them.

Last week I received 50 Astra SS and 50 Lord Silverstar blades.
I have tried Astra SS in three different razors now and I really do like them.
Astra SS and my Gillette Rocket HD is a match made in heaven :)
I also used the SS in my Lady Gillette for headshave and it was incredibly smooth on my skull.

I decided at the first of October to use only one razor and brand of blade for October and Astra SS were my choice. I was not a big fan. 22 days in and I have changed my mind. The SS blades have given me excellent shaves daily and I have been very pleased with my experience. November 1 I will change to a different brand but I certainly could shave always with the Astra SS blades.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I decided at the first of October to use only one razor and brand of blade for October and Astra SS were my choice. I was not a big fan. 22 days in and I have changed my mind. The SS blades have given me excellent shaves daily and I have been very pleased with my experience. November 1 I will change to a different brand but I certainly could shave always with the Astra SS blades.
I love to hear when a blade loves a face! I find the Astra SS to be equal to the GSB in face feel. I plan to test them for number of shaves now. I have a GSB that I believe has given me 43 shaves.

A brother on here recently sent me 95 Astra SS blades. I am very happy to report that they are every bit as good as the old ones!

Dave

I love to hear when a blade loves a face! I find the Astra SS to be equal to the GSB in face feel. I plan to test them for number of shaves now. I have a GSB that I believe has given me 43 shaves.

A brother on here recently sent me 95 Astra SS blades. I am very happy to report that they are every bit as good as the old ones!

Dave

My Astra SS blades are the new laser engraved ones and I find them to be one of the best blades to come out of the PPI plant. Considering the price, they are a real bargain.

FarmerTan

My Astra SS blades are the new laser engraved ones and I find them to be one of the best blades to come out of the PPI plant. Considering the price, they are a real bargain.
So true. I was very impressed, because it takes a lot to impress me, if you understand?

I tried Astra SS in my Fat Handle Tech this morning.
WOW!!!
It was even better than in my Gillette Rocket HD.
This is my new go-to blade.
I can't understand why I never tried Astra SS before...

I tried Astra SS in my Fat Handle Tech this morning.
WOW!!!
It was even better than in my Gillette Rocket HD.
This is my new go-to blade.
I can't understand why I never tried Astra SS before...

I cannot understand why Astra SP blades get so much love and the Astra SS blades seems to be ignored. I can get a much better shave with Astra SS as I find them to be both sharper and smoother than SP.

FarmerTan

I cannot understand why Astra SP blades get so much love and the Astra SS blades seems to be ignored. I can get a much better shave with Astra SS as I find them to be both sharper and smoother than SP.
Ditto.

I prefer the SS, and in the early days of my wetshaving career ( think 2009'ish ) it was just easier to find the SPs so I stocked up on them since they were perfectly good blades for me ( just slightly inferior to the SS ). Now there are far easier to find so I've been using up my SPs and replacing them with SS's.

It still seems the SPs are a little more easier to find so that might explain it.

Top Bottom