What's new

Astra Blades

I have been a long-time user of Gillette Silver Blues but figured it was time to branch out and try something different. Was considering Astra's but can someone step in and tell the difference between the superior platinum and the stainless. I tried several Gillettes before settling on the Silver Blues, figured if I asked you gents I could reduce the research and get some expertise.

I have both the SP and SS varieties of these blades. I think the SP blades are more popular and if you do a search here you will find reviews and lots of comments. The Astra SP was one of the first blades I bought when I came back to DE wetshaving. They are still a definite favourite and a blade I go back to or use in a new razor. A reliable old friend.
Recently I have been using the SS line as I decided to use one brand/model of blade, one razor, one lather and one aftershave and chose the Astra SS for a month. I have been happy with my results so far. I can’t say that I favour the SS over the SP but I have no complaints with this blade.
I am sure that if you go to Refined Shave reviews of the blades he does a trial of one or possibly both of these blades.
The Astra blades are of course a Gillette product coming out of Russia.
The best thing is to do a search to read other members comments and then possibly try one of them. As always YMMV.

I've never tried the SS's but I am right now doing a head to head test of Silver Blues vs Astra SP's. I've been shaving for 3 days with an Astra and then putting an SB in the same razor for 3 days. Then switching to another razor and doing it over again. After 4 of each blade I prefer the Silver Blues. The Astra SP's aren't bad by any means but Silver Blues are noticeably smoother for me. After most shaves with the Astras I get a little tingle from the alum block. Still a pretty acceptable blade though. Silver Blues most of the time, no tingle at all from the alum.

Always tough because it's so different for everyone... I don't particularly like Astra SS. But I LOVE Astra SP's. The SP is my #1, no blade has "beaten" it from that spot and many have tried.

I forget who, but someone in some thread referred to the SP's as "no drama." That is perfectly apt. Sharp, smooth, no drama shaves.

(Stand by for someone to post how harsh SP's are and that they hate them...) :)

I love GSBs but don’t like the price as much. Astra blades are just a notch under them to me, and the price point is attractive. I use both Astras but perhaps favor the SS just a hair. The SS isn’t quite as ubiquitously available as the SPs so I probably have more of the SPs in my collection.

I think a rotation of GSBs and Astras make a nice shaving experience. I have a few other blades in my rotation but those 3 get a very high use. The GSBs make me take my time and do things right, and the Astras are great when I want to shave a little more on autopilot.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
I forget who, but someone in some thread referred to the SP's as "no drama." That is perfectly apt. Sharp, smooth, no drama shaves.

May have been me, but if not I agree wholeheartedly. I'm amused to look back through my shave diaries and see days when I shaved with different blades. Some of them were real dogs. My narratives got a lot shorter after I started using Astra SP in my DE razors. (Just like my SE narratives got a lot shorter after I started using the PTFE coated Personna Gem blades...)

O.H.

Astra SPs are versatile, pretty good in any razor, but my favorites are the GSB, Gillette Platinum, Polsilver and Kai. If you like GSBs you will like the Platinums and Polsilver for sure. Just a bit sharper and smoother than the Astras. As usual it costs 80% more for 20% better performance.

I have tried both and the SS just seems to work better for me - they seem a tad smoother than the SP on my face.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At first I thought SS were sharper but SP were smoother. Now, I can't really feel the difference. But, SP are cheaper and easier to find, and that's what I stocked up on.

i have been using Astra SS blades (on my fourth) for the past 11 days (I use most blades 3 times then pitch them) and have been very pleased. I did prefer the SP line but at this point I would say they’re both very good blades.

i have been using Astra SS blades (on my fourth) for the past 11 days (I use most blades 3 times then pitch them) and have been very pleased. I did prefer the SP line but at this point I would say they’re both very good blades.
That's what I got on my first Astra SP.

It's been a while since I used them. I found them on sale at Amazon so I stocked up. After three shaves, it was very rough... I could feel pulling and it was an uphill battle to actually cut the hairs. I pitched the blade and tossed in a 7 o'clock Black.

Would you say that's typical? I get 6 or 7 shaves out of a 7 o'clock Black.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

At the cost of blades, I don’t try for more than the three although I have done as many as 5 on a few higher priced blades (Rubies). I’m happy at 3 and out. Some only use a blade once. To each his own I guess.

Looking further at the 'what blade and how many shaves' thread, I see a LOT of 2 or 3 entries for SPs. Must be common. Still, a few people report them beyond that (@BigJ for example). I wonder if there a secret, or if I just have courser hair than those... Interesting.

At $7.5 a pack, it's fair... At full price ($10-12), 3 shaves make Astra a bad deal... Well, for me. As always, YMMV.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom