What's new

"Assured for Men" $1.25 DE

Ad Astra

The Instigator
When I first posted about this razor I mentioned that if someone needed a handle for a razor then it was a Very inexpensive way to go and also the top cap could be used for a razor with a faulty top cap. Dollar tree also has these....
View attachment 1475383

So now someone could get one of these razors , the B-pure soap and a bowl and the only thing they would need from elsewhere is a decent brush and blades....

They did have a brush, so small and poor I wouldn't even try it for a goof.

Silicone collapsable bowl, though, that's of use. We backpack.

AA

This is a razor that will cut you. :straight:

I put a new Dorco Prime in this "Assured Destruction" razor and took it for a spin. Yikes!

Between the poor / nonexistent blade clamp, and the considerable blade exposure, you get a dangerous, wobbly edge shave.

The massive blade feel of a Gillette OLD, combined with the just wobbly poor clamp sets the stage for a really good cut. Of your skin, not the whiskers. Gingerly, I used the thing and recalled what I thought about the also-crappy blades: this might work in Asia if you have fine, hairlike, wispy facial growth. But a lumberjack or viking type with wire bristles is going to, well, fail painfully with this one. IMO.

That blade rattles. Now it might be saved with a different topcap. I once paired a tuggy R41 with a different topcap and got two better razors for it.

I am so glad I didn't use the blade and razor as they come together - a double date with disaster - again, IMO. Individually, they're just not good. Ironically, I did get a good shave, but it was like flying a plane that has something wrong with it. Not exactly relaxing.

Even worse, this is no beginner's setup. If you don't know how to DE shave - well - you're going to get bit.

Yeah, the heck with this. I'll use the blade again as a goof, but.

Oh! I do like the handle. Reminds me of Gillette Slim Twist, I think.

At any rate, the b-pure soap is good. So be it.

AA

I guess a lot of people just don't feel it's worth taking the chance....even for free with 33 free blades. I'm honestly a bit surprised my PIF has had 76 views but no takers.

I guess a lot of people just don't feel it's worth taking the chance....even for free with 33 free blades. I'm honestly a bit surprised my PIF has had 76 views but no takers.

I like how "winner" is in quotes within your post. :devil:

I like how "winner" is in quotes within your post. :devil:

C'mon @ynggrsshppr all you have to do is post "I'll try it" and YOU could be the "winner" especially since no other brave soul has signed up yet; the odds are in your favor!

But seriously, I am surprised at the lack of interest. I know it ain't much, but it is free.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
C'mon @ynggrsshppr all you have to do is post "I'll try it" and YOU could be the "winner" especially since no other brave soul has signed up yet; the odds are in your favor!

But seriously, I am surprised at the lack of interest. I know it ain't much, but it is free.

🤔 Not in, thanks.

AA

Based on Ad Astra's review and Rosseforp's picture here, I think I have an idea how it will shave. I had a very similar Rimei razor in the past. It was also my first DE razor. The blade exposure was off the charts. I'm amazed I stuck with DE shaving after that :letterk1:

That said, I'll pass on the VERY kind offer. Good luck on finding someone willing to take up the ultimate challenge!

SOTD
Razor: Assured (Very Bad)
Blade: Assured (Maybe Okay)
Brush: (Very Bad)
Soap: Yardley (Not Good)
After Shave: ExtraCare Original Scent (Decent)

Let me save those of you thinking about a purchase like this some grief. This kit is not worth shaving with. The really sad part is there are people out there that might buy this kit and base their opinion of wet shaving off of it. It is bad enough to drive someone to a cartridge.

The Razor is complete garbage, not a real surprise there, but it does resemble the Gillette Blue enough to make one think it might be decent. My handle broke while installing the blade but super glue came to the rescue; sad for me. It was a real rough shave with a lot of blade feel and some redness but no blood. If you had no other razor you could make this work but almost any other razor is going to be more fun to use and give you a better result. The blade might be decent, but I will need to try it in another razor to verify that.

The brush was way too stiff. I use a lot of synthetics and this one is the stiffest I have ever used. My face irritation may have been from scrubbing my face with this brush. I think it is going to finish its life removing chips from my mini-lathe.

I have read good things about the Yardley soap used as a shaving soap and my initial experience with lathering it up was positive, but I could not keep it wet on my face and the lather dissipated far too quickly. It was slick enough at first but provided no cushion for that brutal razor. Almost any shaving soap is going to do a better job.

This kit got used for about 1/2 a pass before I gave up and started over with a Gamechanger .68, Cloud blade that has >15 shaves on it, homemade soap, and a softer homemade synesthetic brush. I had a decent shave with no blood and just a little irritation from the cheap brush.

The aftershave is decent. I like how it goes on cool and has a very subtle long-lasting scent. It left my face feeling smooth and I might buy more of this in the future.

You guys are going at this totally wrong- this is a "man-scaping razor". It will leave you hairless, AND with sexy scars!:c1:

Don't mind the blood spatter. It probably isn't his. And if it is, it really isn't that much...
1666286903708.png

I have read good things about the Yardley soap used as a shaving soap and my initial experience with lathering it up was positive, but I could not keep it wet on my face and the lather dissipated far too quickly. It was slick enough at first but provided no cushion for that brutal razor. Almost any shaving soap is going to do a better job.
Thanks for trying this so I didn't have to!
Yardley has been my bath soap for over 20 years. Never once have I considered trying it as shaving soap. Knowing it's consistency & characteristics kind of always led me to believe that it wouldn't ever be a good shave soap. But it definitely is a great bath soap!

SOTD
Razor: Assured (Very Bad)
Blade: Assured (Maybe Okay)
Brush: (Very Bad)
Soap: Yardley (Not Good)
After Shave: ExtraCare Original Scent (Decent)

Let me save those of you thinking about a purchase like this some grief. This kit is not worth shaving with. The really sad part is there are people out there that might buy this kit and base their opinion of wet shaving off of it. It is bad enough to drive someone to a cartridge.

The Razor is complete garbage, not a real surprise there, but it does resemble the Gillette Blue enough to make one think it might be decent. My handle broke while installing the blade but super glue came to the rescue; sad for me. It was a real rough shave with a lot of blade feel and some redness but no blood. If you had no other razor you could make this work but almost any other razor is going to be more fun to use and give you a better result. The blade might be decent, but I will need to try it in another razor to verify that.

The brush was way too stiff. I use a lot of synthetics and this one is the stiffest I have ever used. My face irritation may have been from scrubbing my face with this brush. I think it is going to finish its life removing chips from my mini-lathe.
Exact same experience. The metal part came off of the plastic part the minute I tried to tighten down the head the first time. The blade was decent and I've used it in another razor for 3 shaves. I've only tried that one blade, though, and went back to others I'm more familiar with. I put the other 4 blades in a travel bag and will use them again this weekend when I go out of town. The razor was way too aggressive for me. Not "cut me up" but very rough feeling with a lot of blade feel. The brush is absolutely worthless. No splay at all and very sharp bristles. Some folks in my town must love the soap, though, because it's sold out quite a bit. A whole rack will be there one week and empty the next. I don't think I've seen the aftershave at my store.

Top Bottom