What's new

ASR Lather Catcher Questions

I found this American Safety Razor Company razor at an antique shop today. It is different than any other lather catchers that I have seen before. The top of the razor does not have a "latch" to hold the blade in the head. It looks like you slide in the SE blade from one side under a catch that prevents the blade from moving fore and aft in the head.

Does anyone know the approximate year of manufacture (there are no patent dates on the razor)? Would I be able to use a modern SE blade in the razor if I wanted to give it a try? Thanks!

Steve

its a 1904 ASR ever ready. i had a complete set i just recently traded to my best friend. for me personally it was not a fun shaver. the shaving angle makes it so the head of the razor is literally FLAT against your face, but maybe that wont be the case for you.

the complete set came in a leather case with 2 cardstock leather covered blade holders, 12 ever ready radio blades and a stropping attachment

its a 1904 ASR ever ready. i had a complete set i just recently traded to my best friend. for me personally it was not a fun shaver. the shaving angle makes it so the head of the razor is literally FLAT against your face, but maybe that wont be the case for you.

the complete set came in a leather case with 2 cardstock leather covered blade holders, 12 ever ready radio blades and a stropping attachment

Dave,

You confirmed my guess about using this razor. The head angle seems way too flat to be easy to shave with. I happened to stumble across this razor in an antique shop today. Mine came with the stropper attachment and an empty blade holder (no case).

Thanks!

Steve

thats the only reason i traded it to my friend: the pain in the *** shaving angle. it was that bad for me. otherwise there would have been no way in hell i would have gotten rid of it.

thats the only reason i traded it to my friend: the pain in the *** shaving angle. it was that bad for me. otherwise there would have been no way in hell i would have gotten rid of it.

Thanks. Since I found this one in a lot at the antique store for $10, I will give this one a try!

Steve

Top Bottom