What's new

ASP - ATG SINGLE PASS

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
MMOC wins every time.

A RazoRock Hawk V3OC with a Schick Proline P-series blade is also quite impressive, but the MMOC is lighter and has a lower overall acquisition and operation cost going for it.

Reminds me, I should really try my felt rotary tool wheel lined with CrO to touch up the edges of either blade after their first 10-15 uses and make rigidity work for me.

thombrogan

I use them to resharpen serrated edges on bread knives and serrated pocketknives. Either it’ll fail or do something else and then I’ll have an opportunity to know.

thombrogan

Pre-shave change got me back in the game! Rubbed a few drops of glycerin into my whiskers before lathering and the ease and comfort rocketed back allowing me to feign competence!

Used to make very runny lathers for same effect, but it was surprisingly difficult to consistently do.

Best part about plain old glycerin is it’s boring, easily found, and affordable. Not that the soaps I prefer have many base changes over the years, but this a thin, protective layer of feigned skill that doesn’t cost a fortune.

thombrogan

I’ve been finding the brass Karve Overlander loaded with a new or low-use Nacet is becoming my favorite razor for very close to single pass ATG shaves.

Had to ignore ad copy and fellow shavers saying it can be used “steep” and then the comfort and efficiency both jumped up.

thombrogan

Speaking of ad-copy…

Using the long, sweeping Master-Barber stroke GEM says proper use of their razors compels me to do has been absolutely perfect for the Karve Overlander as well.

Slightly less efficient, but much more comfortable and smoother than the shorter strokes (chipmunk nibbles) I had been doing makes up for it. Paradoxically, they’re quicker, too.

thombrogan

So the classic Schick E3 is one of the coolest razors around, but it might be a while before I figure out a non-irritating way to use it to get the job done with as close to a single ATG pass as can be mustered. Maybe a steep angle?

thombrogan

Got my Mamba 0.53 to work like the Karve Overlander. It’s not as forgiving as the Overlander, but it’s awesome. Starting from its guard on skin and moving towards the cap unleashed the beast. Not that an actual mamba is a beast, it’s just a rodent-nomming soul you shouldn’t cuddle.

thombrogan

Them RazoRock safety razors and their spectrum of aggression.

RazoRock Mamba 0.53 and a medium-sharp blade (such as a Loi Titanium) is stainless alternative to a Karve Overlander and a Nacet. Just scrub everything away in long, flowing strokes with little to no conscious thought needed. A little more thought needed with a sharper blade

RazoRock JAWS 0.84 and a medium-sharp blade is nearly identical to the Mamba 0.53 in the long, flowing carefree strokes department. Go sharp like a Bic Chrome Platinum and it’s “on your toes” o’clock

RazoRock Super Slant Lvl 3 and a medium-sharp blade is “weepers for daring to tame this razor” and a slightly less scary “on your toes” o’clock

RazoRock Hawk V3OC very efficient and versatile, but very expensive and wide blades that last one 6-45 shaves

RazoRock “German” 37 is probably the most versatile of the bunch for single-pass ATG shaving even though other razors may remove more stubble per stroke

Those are my impressions and their congruence to reality is debatable and only applicable to my experiences.

thombrogan

GEM Micromatic Open Comb with a shim is an even greater joy than with just a plain, modern GEM blade. Gets right into Ever-Ready 1912 territory for an almost autopilot all ATG shave. Karve brass Overlander with a sharp blade and RazoRock Mamba 0.53 with a medium-sharp blade do the same job better with a less expensive blade.

Interested in seeing how long a Feather Pro or Schick Proline P-Series with an “on your toes” angle will deliver close, irritation-free all-ATG shaves and if it will confirm that an “on your toes” DE is a better value for the same sort of shave.

Have also found some razors that are stupendous WTG and tedious ATG, but they’re better mentioned in some other club.

thombrogan

I’ve been using the GEM Micromatic Open Comb without a shim for all of March so far. Relearning everything except my upper lip it seems, but the everywhere but there I’m getting better shaves than I used to and now I’m getting them quicker.

Despite the greater injury potential of the MMOC, I get better shaves faster with the Overlander and the Mamba 0.53. Or, at least I did. Will find out some time after this month is over.

thombrogan

While I get ready to paralyze myself with choosing between the Mamba and Overlander next month, I had a very favorite shave this month. Read about people using a mostly water lather and their lightest possible touch as their finishing pass. I tried that lightest possible touch with a regularish lather two nights ago and it was such a smooth and comfortable shave and the comfort lasted for about 15 hours.

As it was my one and only pass, it wasn’t BBS by any means, but it was so comfortable during the shave and for several hours after.

New high to chase! And I assume it will get closer as my touch gets lighter.

Saturday’s Comfort

The coarse rough whiskered skin, soaked in the shea butter massage. Coaxing softness, relaxing the tight skin. The big boar gently scrubbed, embracing the buttered acceleration. The creamy Felce Aromatica released a fragrant bucolic blanket. Riding a Feather the Grande silently piloted the apex. Flashing strokes through the seven day growth. The vestal apex expedited hooks and slides. The soft touch vanishing with speed. Lusting comfort.

IMG_0388.jpeg

Happy Shaves

Friday’s Shave

Four amigos exploring efficiencies, searching comfort. The creamy Felce Aromatica a fragrant forest presence. The big boar crowned with a heavy cloud of softness. Luxurious lathering cajoling deeper skin relaxation. A Harbinger bidding a second pass. The Grande’s quick whispered strokes. Flashed through five day whiskers silently. Smooth closeness expanding into a deeper skin comfort.

IMG_0388.jpeg

Happy 🇨🇦 Canada Day 🇨🇦

Hello. I appreciate the accumulation of knowledge of Mr. JoWolf and Mr. thombrogan in pursuit of a very informative and interesting shaving method.

After using a 5-blade cartridge for 15 years, I have been a beginner for half a year since discovering the wonders of DE razor.

Currently, I am researching techniques to achieve BBS without buffing or touch-up using two passes from WTG to ATG.

I don't have sensitive skin, but my beard is very hard and thick. I love the smooth feel of pure BBS and have no interest in DFS at all. I only aim for pure BBS. However, in order to achieve this goal, I need to grow my beard for at least 96 hours.

Currently, I think my skin has suffered some damage in order to achieve BBS.

If I were to achieve BBS using perfect technique with minimal stress on my skin, would it be possible to shorten the number of days I need to shave?
Or maybe, after all, if my beard is too short, I can't soften it with a pre-shave, so I can't shorten the days?

In the future, I would like to shorten the time between shaving to 72 or 48 hours. JoWolf also said last year that you need to grow your beard for five days to achieve the perfect BBS. How often do you guys shave?

Hello. I appreciate the accumulation of knowledge of Mr. JoWolf and Mr. thombrogan in pursuit of a very informative and interesting shaving method.

After using a 5-blade cartridge for 15 years, I have been a beginner for half a year since discovering the wonders of DE razor.

Currently, I am researching techniques to achieve BBS without buffing or touch-up using two passes from WTG to ATG.

I don't have sensitive skin, but my beard is very hard and thick. I love the smooth feel of pure BBS and have no interest in DFS at all. I only aim for pure BBS. However, in order to achieve this goal, I need to grow my beard for at least 96 hours.

Currently, I think my skin has suffered some damage in order to achieve BBS.

If I were to achieve BBS using perfect technique with minimal stress on my skin, would it be possible to shorten the number of days I need to shave?
Or maybe, after all, if my beard is too short, I can't soften it with a pre-shave, so I can't shorten the days?

In the future, I would like to shorten the time between shaving to 72 or 48 hours. JoWolf also said last year that you need to grow your beard for five days to achieve the perfect BBS. How often do you guys shave?
urrently, I think my skin has suffered some damage in order to achieve BBS.
You cannot shave irritated or damage skin without increasing more irritation or damage. Do not shave irritated skin.
Or maybe, after all, if my beard is too short, I can't soften it with a pre-shave, so I can't shorten the days
For my sensitive skin it was not possible to shave BBS without using pre shave. Post shave skin care was also critical for me to maintain healthy skin for my one week BBS shaves.
the future, I would like to shorten the time between shaving to 72 or 48 hours. JoWolf also said last year that you need to grow your beard for five days to achieve the perfect BBS. How often do you guys shave?
In my case five days was the earliest I could shave without skin irritation or damage for a BBS shave. My usual or regular shaves are typically Seven days. That is the interval that works best for me. You have to try the shave intervals to see what works best for your skin and beard. We are all different with skin and beard conditions. I would stress that skin care pre, and post shave are VERY IMPORTANT. I also use skin creams between shaves. Hyaluronic acid is something I use in every post shave. You have to try different products to see which work for you. If they do not work successfully for you throw them out, don’t try to finish them.

I’m glad you reached out for advice and help. I am going into the hospital for heart surgery this morning. I will not be able to respond to you for probably a week or two when I return from the hospital. Stay well Happy Shaves.

Top Bottom