What's new

ASP - ATG SINGLE PASS

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
I’ve got a tuck of Derby Extra on deck for the next time my Fatip Grande is used. Will be pigeon-smooth #SquabGoals

thombrogan

First use of my RazoRock German 37 slant razor tonight. Paired with a brand new Shark Platinum and ARKO! lather, it was smoother and more gentle than my Fatip Grande and MMOC. Steep ATG got almost everything on the first pass and steep and slightly less steep ATG got the rest. Very close shave that was autopilot except for behind the ears because the blade tabs protrude.

If I needed to dispose of Shark brand DE blades to chase this high, my campaigning ways would stop. I didn’t get a BBS, but it was very close and with an ease I couldn’t obtain so easily before tonight.

thombrogan

Several more single-pass shaves with the RazoRock “German” 37 and its ease of use and efficiency impress me each time. Even the WTG Single Pass shaves are close enough.

thombrogan

Just adding more affirmation that the RazoRock “German” 37 safety razor is an excellent choice for Against the Grain Single Pass shaving. So excellent with a Shark Platinum and nigh the same with a Shark Super Stainless.

thombrogan

Further experimentation led me to the RazoRock JAWS 0.84 I had kinda/sorta/really wanted for two years and never bought. Wifey gave it to me for our Silver Anniversary and it exceeds my expectations for closeness, comfort, ease of use, and looks. Lurv its Wallace and Gromit teeth.

First use was all ATG and experimenting with angles. Next three uses have been below shallow and the combination of the rigidity, exposure, and reduced curvature have been a boon to comfort. Everything the Fatip Grande can be, but easier to use.

Both this all-steel, tab-covered artwork and the “German” 37 work so much better for me than the Fatip at this time in my chicanery. The “German” 37 rewarding a steep angle and light touch and the JAWS 0.84 rewarding the low-angle approach. Probably steep, too, but the comfort I’m chasing with the JAWS 0.84 with a low angle is so nice.

thombrogan

Even further experimentation is strongly suggesting steeper is a keeper. The low-angle is extremely comfortable, but takes 4eva and has difficulty with the sides of the throat as well as the chin. Steeper gets those area closer more quickly and about as comfortable.

More experiments to follow. Fast or slow, the Shark Super Stainless and RazoRock JAWS 0.84 are excellent.

thombrogan

More experimenting got me a quick, close ATG Single Pass shave with the RazoRock JAWS 0.84/Shark Super Stainless combo, but it wasn’t that comfortable. That razor/blade pairing is practically autopilot used steep and with a slight Gillette Slide.

At my low skill level, it’s pretty extravagant with Shark Super Stainless blades — two uses and then it’s skill dependent (yikes!). Or it will probably chug on endlessly at the low angle, but I’m wicked slow at that level.

thombrogan

So I found a little more soap in my lather and a not-too-shallow angle let keep the old Shark Super Stainless chugging the Against The Grain Single Pass way. Even without doing more than just lathering up and shaving. Showering beforehand is an improvement, but not a necessity.

Just adding more affirmation that the RazoRock “German” 37 safety razor is an excellent choice for Against the Grain Single Pass shaving. So excellent with a Shark Platinum and nigh the same with a Shark Super Stainless.
I agree, i also am a 1 pass ATG shaver (every other day shaves) and for me the Razorock 37 german slant really works well. I do single pass ATG shaves with it, with a few pick-ups. I did a shave like this with a 14th use KC Gillette blade, worked well (though this is not my favorite blade, i prefer a Derby Premium or Rapira Platinum Lux blade).

thombrogan

14 shaves off a non-favorite DE blade is impressive. I let a Shark Stainless go after its 15th shave last night because my skills didn’t allow for a quick shave with despite the closeness and comfort it gave (well, not so close on the chin, but my fault for not using the “German” 37 since getting my JAWS razor from the same company).

Well done, @Phil Dumont !

thombrogan

Broke out the RazoRock “German“ 37 last night and it shaves my chin easier than their JAWS razor, but the JAWS razor is generally easier everywhere else. Still an excellent one-pass shave with slightly shorter strokes to make it happen.

thombrogan

Been back to using the RazoRock Hawk V3OC the past 13 nights and plan on using it this evening, too.

Comfort improved considerably after I relearned to use a lot of soap and a lot more water when lathering. Loading more than needed for if the single pass occurred instantly as the lather will dry in one place whilst another is being worked, so sprinkling some drops of water on a soapy brush won’t thin out the already watery lather.

Along with that, I focus of the feeling of the whiskers popping as they’re cut. When that feeling dulls, I wet my brush, relather, and feel the popping all over again. Doing this has allowed me to have irritation-free shaves the past few nights with the closeness gradually improving.

No idea if I’ll ever get full-on BBS, but the popping sensation is addictive and so is getting the menthol aftershave’s chill without the sting. That’s better than I deserve and I’ll keep it until my mind wanders elsewhere.

Hey! Is that a Turkish-style barber razor?…

thombrogan

I returned the sale within 30 days for store credit.

Whether steep, shallow, or neutral, I’m also finding a slanted angle; be it a Gillette slide for normie DE/SE razors or the built in version with a slant; really reduces the resistance of the whiskers to their in-sink fate.

thombrogan

I can’t remember when/why I started thickening my lather, but I just returned to using the consistency of lightly poisoned water and the closeness and comfort of my shave jumped back up a notch

thombrogan

Been using the RazoRock Hawk V3OC from about June 30 through last night with maybe one or two days off (wherein I can confirm the PAA el Fantasma can do a single pass ATG shave, but is easily outclassed by the RazoRock “German” 37 in ease of use/closeness/comfort). A neutral angle is most efficient, but requires the aid of terror to remain comfortable. Steep is as close to autopilot as I can manage and a Schick Proline P-series is the tallest blade (8.05mm by my estimates) for steep angle use. The much larger Feather Pro Super (8.2mm by Jatai International’s estimates) is smooth and comfortable shallow and ucky steep.

thombrogan

Found out the venerable Gillette Old Type — the razor I assume inspired the Fatip Grande — requires a shallow angle, skin stretching/suspension, and sharper blades than I’ve used to be good as an ATG-only let alone ATG single-pass razor. Marvelous razor anyways, but I was expecting more.

MOAR

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Marvelous razor anyways, but I was expecting more.

You can only expect so much from negative blade exposure.

Canadian.jpg

I found my Old Types no more effective, and perhaps even less effective, than my New SC but, they have no gap and are smoother. With a fresh Feather blade they are capable of a fantastic shave but I wouldnt call them unforgiving. I found the MMOC easier to use. When you can feel the blade you know precisely where it is.

ATG first pass though, its a no contest. MMOC wins every time.

Top Bottom