What's new

Asking for tips on electric razor technique

Good day all,

I have been learning electric shaving for a month now - only dry shaving with a Braun Series 9 and loving it. My face has been adapting like I hoped, only a few shaving bumps here and there but lately those have disappeared as I learn technique and get used to electric shaving. For my upper lip I have been turning the razor upside down and using the single foil on the edge lightly (going against the grain) and that works fantastic. I am wandering if I should do the same for my chin (i.e., using a single foil). The attached trimmer is great for cutting long hairs left behind. It seems I can finally go against the grain on my neck with the Braun Series 9 which amazes me, although I still sometimes shy away from going against the grain and settle for a socially acceptable shave there.

(My maternal grandfather would shave on the couch in the morning with his electric rotary and I wondered how he could do that. I suppose after years of shaving it was no problem!)

What are some of your techniques? Since I shave everyday I'm trying not to get too close and accept a close comfy shave but not too crazy close. I haven't wet shaved yet but will at some point - I found I really like shaving dry and sometimes using pre-shave (Williams Lectric).

The short answer is - whatever works for you. The center cutter(s) on the Brauns is/are really for longer or flat-lying hair, and really isn't needed for most daily shavers. The finishing foils on either side are the workhorses, and are usually enough for the average morning shave. You just need to experiment with the individual areas of your face (sort of like mapping), and use the applicable cutter. Not so much of an issue with rotaries (with uniform heads), because of the way they cut and the technique.

Reactions: ctr
The short answer is - whatever works for you. The center cutter(s) on the Brauns is/are really for longer or flat-lying hair, and really isn't needed for most daily shavers. The finishing foils on either side are the workhorses, and are usually enough for the average morning shave. You just need to experiment with the individual areas of your face (sort of like mapping), and use the applicable cutter. Not so much of an issue with rotaries (with uniform heads), because of the way they cut and the technique.

Thank you! Yeah that sounds like a plan - will experiment with using one foil on different areas :thumbsup:

I find rocking the foil under the nose and on the lower chin helps to get those whiskers. Done while gently moving the razor up and down. No pressure. Also don't go over the same area repeatedly. Move on to another area and come back to the difficult or rough patch later. ie passes.

I find rocking the foil under the nose and on the lower chin helps to get those whiskers. Done while gently moving the razor up and down. No pressure. Also don't go over the same area repeatedly. Move on to another area and come back to the difficult or rough patch later. ie passes.

I tried that on the lower chin and that worked splendidly! Thanks!

Reactions: ctr

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
This is not a technique, but something I saw a makeup artist do before shaving someone with an electric. She dusted a little talc on the foil of the razor. Said it helped with glide, comfort, smoothness…that sort of thing.

Good day all,

I have been learning electric shaving for a month now - only dry shaving with a Braun Series 9 and loving it. My face has been adapting like I hoped, only a few shaving bumps here and there but lately those have disappeared as I learn technique and get used to electric shaving. For my upper lip I have been turning the razor upside down and using the single foil on the edge lightly (going against the grain) and that works fantastic. I am wandering if I should do the same for my chin (i.e., using a single foil). The attached trimmer is great for cutting long hairs left behind. It seems I can finally go against the grain on my neck with the Braun Series 9 which amazes me, although I still sometimes shy away from going against the grain and settle for a socially acceptable shave there.

(My maternal grandfather would shave on the couch in the morning with his electric rotary and I wondered how he could do that. I suppose after years of shaving it was no problem!)

What are some of your techniques? Since I shave everyday I'm trying not to get too close and accept a close comfy shave but not too crazy close. I haven't wet shaved yet but will at some point - I found I really like shaving dry and sometimes using pre-shave (Williams Lectric).
I use my electric Braun razor trimmer to cut sharp lines and once in a while for a quick touchup of an area I missed wet shaving. I used to shave with electrics exclusively until I saw a pic of a hair cut with a blade vs with electric shaver. Blade cut is smooth, electric cut is ragged edged. If I press too hard I get ingrown hairs and the ragged edge makes them more irritating. I learned that you must change out the cutter and foil assembly at about 6 months of regular use for the best shave.

You mention your grand farther shaving on the couch. I can shave my head or face by feel alone , mirror optional . I just use my left hand at the same time as my right holds the razor. A little practice and it feels very natural. That’s with electric or disposable/ cartridge. Most head shavers shave by this method.

Top Bottom