What's new

Asking for advice - should I continue searching for that one DE blade to replace all the others?

Hey guys, I was hoping you could help me out with the following “conundrum”.

I’ve been wet shaving for a couple of years and I’ve been trying out different blades in order to find the blade that I could stick with into the foreseeable future.

I usually shave only once a week with Fatip piccolo, and I’ve had experience with about 15 DE blades, namely:

1) Voskhod, Ladas, Rapira Platinum, Rapira Swedish, Sputnik

2) Derby extra, Derby Premium, Bic, Astra SP, Perma-Sharp , Feather, Bolzano

3) Gillette: 7 o’clock Super stainless , Sharpedge, Platinum, Nacet, Silver Blue, Rubie.

However, most of them feel more or less the same to me – that is, they are all equally kinda comfortable (or, more accurately, equally not uncomfortabe), and are good for about four (and a couple of them for six) shaves before I toss them. None of the blades makes me go like “Wow, that is one amazing blade” – they all feel just ok, nothing to write home about.

The only two outliers are Bic and Ladas – the former seems too sharp for my taste and I end up getting nicked more often than I do with the other blades, and the latter is dull and is tugging hair even if it’s my first shave with it.

So, I don’t really know how to make up my mind – should I just go ahead and purchase one hundred blades of like Voskhod because it’s the cheapest of the bunch or should I keep looking for a blade that like feels super smooth and give me more shaves ?

I know there are close to a hundred different blades in production, and I’ve probably only scratched the surface with the blades that I used, but is there like a point of diminishing returns or something in this case?

In other words, how many different brands of blades does it make sense to sample before giving up and just sticking with a bird in hand– if almost every blade that i try gives me kinda the same shave and i intend to use only Fatip?

I mean, will all the other blades that I try probably feel the same to me? Or is there no way of knowing that beforehand?

Should I keep buying blades samples hoping to stumble upon the blade that will force me to cry out “Eureka?” Is there any particular brand you’d suggest that I must try out?

How long did it take you guys you to find that one blade to rule them all?

I hope that my questions don’t sound too confusing.
Thank you in advance!

Last edited:
You've already tried all the ones that I find to be superb! Odd that you don't notice a difference between any of them though because you've listed several that should be noticeably less sharp and/or less smooth.

Of the ones you've listed, the ones I like a lot which leave me without any desire to search for more:
Feather
Nacet
Perma-sharp
Gillette Platinum

Well, having tried a large number of blades, if they all feel the same to you then let the economics decide.

I find that in respect to price and performance Astras are hard to beat.
While I may prefer Nacets, Rapiras, Feathers and some other blades over Astras, if they all feel the same to you why spend more than necessary?

Having said that, if all blades seem equally comfortable to you then you might want to look at your shave prep (and maybe technique) to see whether you can make the differences in blades more noticeable to you.
Trust me, not all blades are equal and something may keep you form picking up the subtle differences.

Hope this helps…

I can only guess that you must be using a fairly mild razor because in any head with decent blade exposure the differences between the ones you've listed should be immediate and starkly obvious.

As for your question, I wouldn't get too hung up on trying to discover 'the precious'.

For my face, there are a dozen or so outstanding blades, several dozen more that are really good, and maybe 3-5 that just don't work at all. And I've tried them all at least once.

Funny you should mention Bic. That has been my preferred blade for years. However, I still mix it up from time to time just for variety. I also will intentionally revisit blades that haven't been great just to see if anything has changed. It's usually worth doing as there are so many variables.

In the end, if you just want to order a couple hundred of one thing and be done with it that's clearly your perogative. But, I wouldn't get too obsessed with the search. There's a lot of good blades on the market and focusing too much on getting to the finish line may leave you missing some (or many) that would work really well.

I can only guess that you must be using a fairly mild razor because in any head with decent blade exposure the differences between the ones you've listed should be immediate and starkly obvious.

As for your question, I wouldn't get too hung up on trying to discover 'the precious'.

For my face, there are a dozen or so outstanding blades, several dozen more that are really good, and maybe 3-5 that just don't work at all. And I've tried them all at least once.

Funny you should mention Bic. That has been my preferred blade for years. However, I still mix it up from time to time just for variety. I also will intentionally revisit blades that haven't been great just to see if anything has changed. It's usually worth doing as there are so many variables.

In the end, if you just want to order a couple hundred of one thing and be done with it that's clearly your perogative. But, I wouldn't get too obsessed with the search. There's a lot of good blades on the market and focusing too much on getting to the finish line may leave you missing some (or many) that would work really well.
Thank you for taking the time to compose such a detailed response! I actually only useFatip piccolo, and i don't think it's considered a mild razor, so yeah, your guess is as good as mine - i've no idea why i can't really differentiate between most of the blades in a noticeable manner...

Like another person commented above - i probably need to focus more on technique and prep, and the rest will come eventually.

Well, having tried a large number of blades, if they all feel the same to you then let the economics decide.

I find that in respect to price and performance Astras are hard to beat.
While I may prefer Nacets, Rapiras, Feathers and some other blades over Astras, if they all feel the same to you why spend more than necessary?

Having said that, if all blades seem equally comfortable to you then you might want to look at your shave prep (and maybe technique) to see whether you can make the differences in blades more noticeable to you.
Trust me, not all blades are equal and something may keep you form picking up the subtle differences.

Hope this helps…
Thank you, Mr. Brutus, your response is very helpful! I'll look into the prep and try to work on my technique too. Although after two years one'd think i should already have my technique down and everything...

The Bics that I have are excellent and economical, but over the years I have read so many posts of users who find them below average that I cannot help wondering whether they have quality control issues.

Given the wide range of outstanding alternatives, I am not sure whether I should order them again.

B.
Thank you, Mr. Brutus, your response is very helpful! I'll look into the prep and try to work on my technique too. Although after two years one'd think i should already have my technique down and everything...

My pleasure… :001_smile

To expand on the shave prep issue, it does not have to be an elaborate ritual.

I use a sponge and essentially wash may face (soap is optional) before I brush my teeth and leave my face wet.
Once I am done brushing my teeth, the facial skin had some time absorbing the water and I just face-lather as usual.

It is a simple routine, but I do believe that it has a similar effect like the warm, wet cloth that barbers use(d) on their customers before a shave.

Hope this helps…

B.

That is really interesting, @Quentin_Compson. I wonder what would make you experience such a wide range of blades as very similar. That isn't the case for me, those blades range from tuggy through very sharp on my face/whiskers.

Do you happen to have softer whiskers? I could imagine that if your whiskers were softer, and all the blades cut them easily, that they might feel similar. I have dark, curly hair, now with lots of grey, so I need a sharp enough blade to just cut them. Once it is sharp enough, I see some range. But for the sharpest blades, I am not sure I could tell them apart.

I would envy you if you had softer whiskers that were easier to cut! Regardless, if you can't tell the difference, go with a cheaper option that you like, why not? Then you can spend the extra on soaps and other fun stuff! :)

Thank you for taking the time to compose such a detailed response! I actually only useFatip piccolo, and i don't think it's considered a mild razor, so yeah, your guess is as good as mine - i've no idea why i can't really differentiate between most of the blades in a noticeable manner...

Like another person commented above - i probably need to focus more on technique and prep, and the rest will come eventually.

Ah, sorry...somehow missed that.

For sure, the Piccolo is no mild shaver. The mystery deepens. :confused1

Remember, there is the Great Blade Exchange here on B&B run by David (@dmshaver). You can trade two blades of one brand for two blades of another brand that David has in stock. All you pay is for postage stamps on a self-addressed envelope. I think around twenty blades will ship for the cost of one stamp.

So, you could trade two of each brand you have for something else, and see what you think. For Fatip, Nacet and Perma-Sharp Super are solid choices. Some like Feather, Gillette 7 O'clock Black, Rapira Swedish Super Steel, etc. You kind of have to try and see.

Something else to consider...

If you aren't already doing it, perhaps give a cold shave a try.

Decades ago, I only shaved with warm/hot and among other things could not accurately discern the variances in soap, razor geometry, blade characteristics or especially...my technique. My face was just too pampered to give me the feedback I needed.

Since switching up to cold it's been far easier for me to pick out what's working and what isn't as a lot of sub-par elements can hide in an overly cushy prep. I believe I've saved myself from many a poor shave over the years as a result.

Do you happen to have softer whiskers?
Thank you for responding to my plea! Believe it or not, i actually don't know and don't really have a frame of reference in order to check them... they don't feel that soft, nor do they feel hoarse... well, i'm a mess - not only can't i feel the diference between various blades, i also cant tell whether my whiskers are soft or hoarse...

To expand on the shave prep issue, it does not have to be an elaborate ritual.

I use a sponge and essentially wash may face (soap is optional) before I brush my teeth and leave my face wet.
Once I am done brushing my teeth, the facial skin had some time absorbing the water and I just face-lather as usual.

It is a simple routine, but I do believe that it has a similar effect like the warm, wet cloth that barbers use(d) on their customers before a shave.

Hope this helps…

B.
Thank you for the pointers, i'll give incorporate them into my routine as well!

Remember, there is the Great Blade Exchange here on B&B run by David (@dmshaver). You can trade two blades of one brand for two blades of another brand that David has in stock. All you pay is for postage stamps on a self-addressed envelope. I think around twenty blades will ship for the cost of one stamp.

So, you could trade two of each brand you have for something else, and see what you think. For Fatip, Nacet and Perma-Sharp Super are solid choices. Some like Feather, Gillette 7 O'clock Black, Rapira Swedish Super Steel, etc. You kind of have to try and see.
Thank you for bringing that up, i didn't know about the Exchange... i'll look into it later! I wonder how much it'd cost to ship DE blades to Russia and whether they even accept them in envelopes...

Yeah, i've tried all of those blades in Fatip, but couldn't really find much of a difference...

Hey guys, I was hoping you could help me out with the following “conundrum”.

I’ve been wet shaving for a couple of years and I’ve been trying out different blades in order to find the blade that I could stick with into the foreseeable future.

I usually shave only once a week with Fatip piccolo, and I’ve had experience with about 15 DE blades, namely:

1) Voskhod, Ladas, Rapira Platinum, Rapira Swedish, Sputnik

2) Derby extra, Derby Premium, Bic, Astra SP, Perma-Sharp , Feather, Bolzano

3) Gillette: 7 o’clock Super stainless , Sharpedge, Platinum, Nacet, Silver Blue, Rubie.

However, most of them feel more or less the same to me – that is, they are all equally kinda comfortable (or, more accurately, equally not uncomfortabe), and are good for about four (and a couple of them for six) shaves before I toss them. None of the blades makes me go like “Wow, that is one amazing blade” – they all feel just ok, nothing to write home about.

The only two outliers are Bic and Ladas – the former seems too sharp for my taste and I end up getting nicked more often than I do with the other blades, and the latter is dull and is tugging hair even if it’s my first shave with it.

So, I don’t really know how to make up my mind – should I just go ahead and purchase one hundred blades of like Voskhod because it’s the cheapest of the bunch or should I keep looking for a blade that like feels super smooth and give me more shaves ?

I know there are close to a hundred different blades in production, and I’ve probably only scratched the surface with the blades that I used, but is there like a point of diminishing returns or something in this case?

In other words, how many different brands of blades does it make sense to sample before giving up and just sticking with a bird in hand– if almost every blade that i try gives me kinda the same shave and i intend to use only Fatip?

I mean, will all the other blades that I try probably feel the same to me? Or is there no way of knowing that beforehand?

Should I keep buying blades samples hoping to stumble upon the blade that will force me to cry out “Eureka?” Is there any particular brand you’d suggest that I must try out?

How long did it take you guys you to find that one blade to rule them all?

I hope that my questions don’t sound too confusing.
Thank you in advance!
Don’t know but I love your handle. Hope you don’t end up like poor Quentin

Top Bottom