What's new

Ask the experts - what is the difference between...

What is the difference between a DFS versus a BBS shave? I am a DE razor shaver which I get good results with my Merkur Futur and the Rex Ambassador. And the Edwin Jaggar 3one6.

Personally, if I get a damn fine shave with my razor and blade, I would think it is a baby butt smooth shave or vice versa. They both achieve the same result. Right?

What do you guys think? And gals.

Generally, a BBS shave would be considered on in which you can feel no stubble left after your shave. If that is what you need or want for you to be happy, then go for it. For most folks that is not required. If you are happy with your shave you have no need to pursue further. I can usually get quite close to BBS everywhere except my jawline and chin, but this morning I left some stubble behind. I am not going out today, so that I did not need to go any closer.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Generally, a BBS shave would be considered on in which you can feel no stubble left after your shave. If that is what you need or want for you to be happy, then go for it. For most folks that is not required. If you are happy with your shave you have no need to pursue further. I can usually get quite close to BBS everywhere except my jawline and chin, but this morning I left some stubble behind. I am not going out today, so that I did not need to go any closer.
This is me.

I'm just too lazy to make my incredibly handsome face bleed on purpose.

FarmerTan

Plus, if you LIKE shaving every day, BBS for my type of beard is keeping me from having to do a shave the next day.

Edit: plus, I'm too blessed lazy to WANT to shave every day!

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Well, we call it a "darn" fine shave because calling it a half-"donkeyed" shave would seem offensive. If you hire me to paint your bedroom and I leave one wall out you wouldn't say I did a darn fine job, but if I leave out the last pass I get to call it a darn fine shave.

It's a good deal.

Leave it to @Cal, the BOSC escapee to post that!
Dave, I have no intention of escaping. What might happen on my capture
and return is just too horrible (talking about thinking) to think about.

NurseRatched-Stare.jpg

I'm not sure there is an "official" definition.

I think the distinction is a BBS is supposed to have no stubble left that can be felt going against-the-grain. A DFS does not require that degree of closeness, but it is a close shave where a minute amount of stubble may be felt in spots, but not seen. For both shaves, there should be no visible redness, irritation, nicks or weepers.

FarmerTan

Dave, I have no intention of escaping. What might happen on my capture
and return is just too horrible (talking about thinking) to think about.

View attachment 1435467
I can honestly say I werked with nurses like that! Lol, but not often, praise the Lord.

As to BBS, remember to not check for at least 5 minutes after the shave. I've had BBS just go "PoP" and there I was sittin' in my Lazeeboi chair bein' astounded.

OK so I can get a bbs on my cheecks. Problem area for me is my neck area where I want bbs, but can feet left-over hair atg.

If I leave it as a dfs, in about 5 mins after the shave, it becomes bbs. My problem is that I don't leave the neck line as a dfs as I shave.

Need to learn to control myself while shaving.

Last edited:

FarmerTan

Yes. Honestly, if you just concentrate on blade angle, BBS is easy. Chasing it is a pain, in more was than one.

FarmerTan

:laugh: "B&B" and "self control" are something like a continually warring "husband" and "wife."
You have hit on the key to a wonderful marriage! Fights over minor things so I can avoid the REAL problem in our marriage: her 99.999999% awesomeness, and my.....less than perfectness!

Cal, can I move in with you once she reads this....stuff I post? Help a brotha out? Ol' Rob AKA @OkieStubble has rolled back in his welcome mat once he figured out that I'm not right in the head!

Top Bottom