What's new

ASD2 - what am I doing wrong?

First time post here, so appreciate the forbearance. I started wet shaving a few months ago and started with the Feather ASD2. Looks great, feels great in the hand, but I can’t seem to get a great shave out of it. I shave every day. I have tried a variety of blades (Derby through Feather, with best results being Personna reds). However, there always seems to be some spots that I can’t shave efficiently. This became apparent to me when I got my second razor (48-51 Gillette Aristocrat) a couple of weeks ago, which I get much, much better results with.

Does the ASD2 require a more refined technique and focus on blade angle and thus is less forgiving (from an efficiency perspective), even as it is very mild? I am really struggling here, as this razor is very well reviewed. Is this a razor that really rewards perfect technique and focus? I would guess mine isn’t wonderful since I am starting out, but I get really great shaves from the Gillette. Any advice appreciated.

I found it hard to get good shaves with both the Gillette Tech and the AS-D2. For some reason I’m so much better with the Rockwell’s, gamechanger and even the Slim Adjustable. Not much help to you unfortunately but I empathise

I have no experience with that razor, but I have read the blade angle is limited and sensitive. It needs to be spot-on as the razor is a mild razor. I also understand a shallow handle angle, i.e., raise the handle somewhat. and keep the razor's head somewhat flat against the face is a requirement for best shaves with this Feather razor.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Technique is #1 and followed by pre-shave followed by map your beard grain growth.
If you are doing all those things there is a way to cheat a little and it will improve the shave is try a Kia DE blade because they are .009 thousands of inch wider than a standard blade. That is a lot IMO .0045 per side and that will make your razor have a greater blade exposure. The razor audio feed back is so important also as your shaving because it indicates your angle is good.
Have some great shaves.
1591672985913.png

Welcome to B&B. As has been indicated in previous posts the window for effective blade angle is relatively small for the AS-D2 and Techs but once you have found it you will get great shaves. It seems to work better with the sharper blades so persevere with it. That pictorial in post #4 is worth studying to understand blade angle. The Aristocrat is a great razor too so no reason why you cannot perfect your technique with that razor.
Don't underestimate the benefit of skin stretching too to get the best from your razors.

The design of the razor gives it a very narrow effective shaving angle. Outside of that angle, it doesn't cut much hair. The razor works best with Feather blades or the sharpest blades you happen to have.

The feather asd2 seems to match efficiently with feather only with other blades too mild..
Though a kai (more blade exposure) might work.

R

romsitsa

Could be your technique or the razor. I have two hard to reach spots on my neck, where TTO-s simply won't fit without streching my skin into oblivion. So I switched to blade forward, three piece designs.

Adam

The milder a razor is the more important it is to have good technique. The ideal blade angle is with the handle at 45 degrees to the face. The margin for error is small, as there is so little blade on show, but find this sweet spot and the AS-D2 shaves like a dream.

I have both Feather AS-D2 and Tech. In my experience shaving angle is different. I get best results with Feather with handle almost paralel with the floor (ride the cap) and a sharp blade. And no pressure, of course.

Trimis de pe al meu EML-L29 folosind Tapatalk

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
I have both Feather AS-D2 and Tech. In my experience shaving angle is different. I get best results with Feather with handle almost paralel with the floor (ride the cap) and a sharp blade. And no pressure, of course.

Trimis de pe al meu EML-L29 folosind Tapatalk
My experience as well!

The milder a razor is the more important it is to have good technique. The ideal blade angle is with the handle at 45 degrees to the face. The margin for error is small, as there is so little blade on show, but find this sweet spot and the AS-D2 shaves like a dream.

+2! The AS/D2 is a great razor paired with a Feather blade so long as your technique is spot on! :clap: :clap:

Id say that the ASD2 requires a more refined technique because its so mild. With a mild razor, you have a small window where the blade contacts the skin, so you need to be more precise with maintain your angle.
Id also say that because it is so mild, you need to use one of the sharper blades in it, something like a Feather or Kai. Anything else simply isnt going to have enough cutting power for how mild it is.
The ASD2 is a great razor, its just mild and if you are still honing your technique, you may not get the best results from it.

Thanks all for the advice. I tried again this morning with a steeper shaving angle (handle more parallel to ground) and a Kai blade. Results are much improved! I will keep working and refining it, but this was a big step forward. I still think this is going to be a much more finicky razor to use than the Gillette, but will keep trying for another few weeks and see how I go. Thanks again!

All of the above. Although frequently touted as a beginner's razor, the D2 is the least forgiving of any as far as blade angle and technique, already mentioned. It's actually the ideal razor for the experienced shaver - and almost impossible to acquire a nick with it - because it's a great razor for following a less than perfect shave the previous day, for someone with very sensitive skin, or when you're rushed to get out the door and still want a DE shave. It's perfectly capable of delivering a BBS shave on its own, or as a daily driver, but it's the ultimate "pickup" razor.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
Thanks all for the advice. I tried again this morning with a steeper shaving angle (handle more parallel to ground) and a Kai blade. Results are much improved! I will keep working and refining it, but this was a big step forward. I still think this is going to be a much more finicky razor to use than the Gillette, but will keep trying for another few weeks and see how I go. Thanks again!
Great to hear! Technically, you used a shallow angle today, because the angle of the blade from the face was probably very narrow (20 degrees maybe). It’s confusing — but glad it worked!

Top Bottom