What's new

ASCO Orange

I bought 100 of the Asco Orange blades after my quest to find a replacement for Astras.

To me, they are excellent and I routinely get 5 - 6 super close shaves with them in a variety of razors.

Well worth the 7USD I paid for them two weeks ago!

I am thinking of purchasing 100 of those.

My reasoning is that they should be similar to Shark SS, which I love, and I also like the pyramid art, so..

Btw, Asco in Spanish means "disgust" :biggrin1:
The Shark SS are a bit sharper than the Asco SS. Also they irritate my skin if I don't use a very protective cream. I only have 25-30 ot those Sharks and I won't be buying more.

The Shark SS are a bit sharper than the Asco SS. Also they irritate my skin if I don't use a very protective cream. I only have 25-30 ot those Sharks and I won't be buying more.
I bought a 100 of those too eventually! I am curious to try them out!

I think I will go full on Egypt from this point on :p

The thing is, over the years I have acquired Shark SS tucks of various quality, to be fair only one those were horrible, but for the rest of them, one feels a little bit sharper and might give you a weeper or two, and the other is a bit more buttery smooth and you would really have to hack your face to get a weeper.

I just finished my first shave with an ASCO orange, and this is an excellent blade, and quite different than the Shark SS!

It is more rigid. Every time I clean a blade with water, I dry it by holding one side firmly and gently tapping the other side so that it vibrates and shakes off the water. Well, the ASCO blade does not vibrate nearly as much. I don't know if it is thicker or if a different alloy/coating is used, but that is something that I immediately noticed.

It is quite sharper. It might relate to rigidness, the blade destroys anything in its path and digs deep, I got some weepers against the grain that I would never get with Shark SS.

It is less cushy. ASCO feels like an uncoated sharp blade right from the beginning, it certainly must have some PTFE coating, but it feels like it is much less than that what you get with Shark SS. Again, this might relate to rigidity.

Overall it gave me a ridiculously close shave but it left my skin super-thirsty, I had to double up on the Pitralon.

I am surprised that his blade doesn't get too many mentions, it seems like excellent quality to me. Do I prefer it to Shark SS? No, but that it is a personal preference :)

I tried several times the Asco, both staintless (full orange box) and platinum (half white, half orange box).

Asco Stainless (Full orange) is 4/10 on sharpness,

Asco Platinum (half white, half orange box) is 2/10 on sharpness. I believe that this is the fault of coating.

If you have an aggressive DE razor Asco Stainless may be a good choice. The consistency of the box is OK.

Asco Platinum is not working for me even with agressive DE Razors.

I tried several times the Asco, both staintless (full orange box) and platinum (half white, half orange box).

Asco Stainless (Full orange) is 4/10 on sharpness,

Asco Platinum (half white, half orange box) is 2/10 on sharpness. I believe that this is the fault of coating.

If you have an aggressive DE razor Asco Stainless may be a good choice. The consistency of the box is OK.

Asco Platinum is not working for me even with agressive DE Razors.
I think that it could work great in a Shavette, I have never used one but I'd imagine that one would want to have some blade that is rigid and does not flex a lot.

In my Yintal Bronze it cleaned my neck with just a couple of strokes, I have not used a ton of blades but they reminded me of Kai actually without leaving my face too raw.

I think that it could work great in a Shavette, I have never used one but I'd imagine that one would want to have some blade that is rigid and does not flex a lot.

In my Yintal Bronze it cleaned my neck with just a couple of strokes, I have not used a ton of blades but they reminded me of Kai actually without leaving my face too raw.

I tried Asco platinum with shavette, for my hair growth it is not perfect match. YMMV of course. The Asco Stainless worked better in shavette. The sharpness of Asco Stainless is quite the same with Derby Usta. Both Derby Usta and Asco Stainless provides necessary sharpness in shavette. A too much dull blade requires more pressure on a shavette which is dangerous. Thus I rather prefer medium sharpness on a shavette.

I've had my 4th shave with this blade today, and so far it has gotten progressively sharper, flawless BBS with no irritation.

I did some weird prep with a cup of warm water and a tablespoon of vinegar though to cleanse my face, I don't know if it is good in the long run but it made my skin feel indestructible somehow and softened the hair, so it might have contributed to the excellent shave.

I've had my 4th shave with this blade today, and so far it has gotten progressively sharper, flawless BBS with no irritation.

I did some weird prep with a cup of warm water and a tablespoon of vinegar though to cleanse my face, I don't know if it is good in the long run but it made my skin feel indestructible somehow and softened the hair, so it might have contributed to the excellent shave.

Which orange are you using, the stainless or platinum?

Lord's Asco Orange is also one of my favourite blades - smooth, comfortable, rigid, forgiving and good value for money in the UK. I purchased them in bulk. I am at a loss as to why the Asco Orange does not receive more love, I suspect it maybe because many shavers pass Lord blades by or because they make so many different blades / packaging, there is confusion. I also highly rate Sharks, Silver Star and the Classics. Lord's PTFE coated blades just work so well...

ECF49C42-0DEA-4A15-AAB3-6AA099F8607B_1_201_a.jpeg

5th and last shave today!

Felt slightly draggy, so I guess it is a good time to retire it. No irritation or nicks though, just needed multiple touch-ups for a BBS.

IMG_20210127_232922.jpg

I've tried all the Asco blades.
I can say that the orange, red and red-blue ascos in the red-blue package are the same blade, in the orange package there are 5 blades, in the red one 10, the red-blue package is no longer easily found.
Excellent blade, very delicate.
I prefer it to the Asco Platinum.

I've tried all the Asco blades.
I can say that the orange, red and red-blue ascos in the red-blue package are the same blade, in the orange package there are 5 blades, in the red one 10, the red-blue package is no longer easily found.
Excellent blade, very delicate.
I prefer it to the Asco Platinum.

razorbladesclub lists the orange asco as been ptfe coated and the red asco just stainless

I just checked the razorbladesclub site, it reports both the orange and the red as covered in stainless steel, the only difference reported is the quantity of blades 5 orange, 10 in the red.

The stainless Red and Orange are the same blades. The Red package contains 10 blades, the Orange only 5. They work very well for me. Can’t help you on the Platinum. I suspect they’re the same as the Lord Plat, which is my favorite blade.

Top Bottom