What's new

As the weather gets colder .....

The cold upstate New York winter is soon upon us, and I am being "extra good" to my
face and neck with my two favorite splashes and balms. Moisturizing comfort at its best !
My fond regards to all of you for a joyous Chanukah and a Merry Christmas !

IMG_0130.JPG

Last edited:
All the trusted go-to's right there!

Thoughts on the Lucky Tiger vs. Thayer's? Do you feel the Lucky Tiger is more nourishing for your skin?

Thoughts on the Lucky Tiger vs. Thayer's? Do you feel the Lucky Tiger is more nourishing for your skin?

Great question ..... the Lucky Tiger feels a bit more "extra special" and moisturizing,
and the Thayer's feels more "cleansing and antiseptic." I usually rotate between the
two after my evening shaves.

Last edited:
Good move!! LT is terrific in colder weather. My only suggestion would be that you add Haslinger’s schmilch to your list! (I remember the winters in Upstate NY!!)

Good move!! LT is terrific in colder weather. My only suggestion would be that you add Haslinger’s schmilch to your list! (I remember the winters in Upstate NY!!)

Thanks Big J ! I tried the Haslinger's and it just didn't work well for me. I know it's a highly regarded soap
here on B&B, but for me and my face, it's wasn't a good match.. For now, my favorite "winter lathers" are
Stirling Bay Rum, Body Shop Maca Root, and RazoRock Tuscan Oud ---- all three are pretty wonderful.
And regardless of which soap or cream I use, the splashes and balms I posted above are superb !

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
The Proraso balm is a staple in my den. The aloe and vitamin E really help. There's no scent to speak of and the wife said she sneaks it from time to time.

Looks like I picked the wrong time of the year to try Aqua Velva for the first time. Froze my face off this morning.
I guess I didn’t read the ice blue part on the label... I’ll save this stuff for summer.

Looks like I picked the wrong time of the year to try Aqua Velva for the first time. Froze my face off this morning.
I guess I didn’t read the ice blue part on the label... I’ll save this stuff for summer.

Yikes! It’s certainly that time of year to hide the AV and mentholated soaps!

I tried AV this past summer and really liked it, and have kept using it, but I agree, it's getting a little bit too chilly for that these days...

I've starting to use Jovan Musk more often again. That was my go-to post shave all of last winter. I fell that it has a very "warm" aroma to it, and I like it a lot for the colder months.

I just don't get it and I live in central Illinois year round!! I enjoy using all my soaps and aftershaves year round. There is nothing like the post shave feel of Margarita's in the Arctic or Frozen Tundra at any given time of the year. Not being able to shave with mentholated soaps says more about the climate in ones house than it does for outside !! Feels no different in the winter than it does in the summer inside the house after shaving here. I've rarely have to rush outside right after shaving as it is normally an hour or so after I've shaved before having to step outside... Maybe I'm just a glutton for punishment though!!

I just don't get it and I live in central Illinois year round!! I enjoy using all my soaps and aftershaves year round. There is nothing like the post shave feel of Margarita's in the Arctic or Frozen Tundra at any given time of the year. Not being able to shave with mentholated soaps says more about the climate in ones house than it does for outside !! Feels no different in the winter than it does in the summer inside the house after shaving here. I've rarely have to rush outside right after shaving as it is normally an hour or so after I've shaved before having to step outside... Maybe I'm just a glutton for punishment though!!

Sure but boy does it seem chilly when I jump out of the shower this time of year. Hand me the towel quick!

Sure but boy does it seem chilly when I jump out of the shower this time of year. Hand me the towel quick!
My shower is located in an almost wide opened basement that is probably 10 degrees cooler than the rest of the house so I kinda know what you mean when you say that!! I've always been one of those that towel off about 80 % before the shower curtain or door is even opened!!

Top Bottom