What's new

AS that smells like Barbasol?

Hey guys,

Took about a 3 year break from the forum (life.... You know) but I'm back and on the hunt!

After leaving mainstream shaving behind about 5 years ago, I find myself really missing the old school Barbasol scent. So I was hoping you fellas could point me in the right direction for both a shave cream/soap and/or after shave that smells similar or just like to good ol foamy can! (Mods if this needs to be split of to another thread for the soap I'm happy to do that)

PS. I think I have a low tolerance to alcohol rich aftershaves as clubman feels like splashing battery acid on my face.

My daily drivers tend too be Stirling splashes or some good ol Thayer's lemon witch hazel.

Thanks guys!

Am I understanding the OP's question correctly?

Aftershave the smells like Barbasol? Skin Bracer. Barbasol is a clone of Skin Bracer from my experience.

As for a shaving cream or soap I can't think of any.

Chris

Aftershave the smells like Barbasol? Skin Bracer. Barbasol is a clone of Skin Bracer from my experience.

Chris
Yes I was asking for either/or. Thanks for the skin bracer note!

Need a little help with this.... Can you translate? Sorry I'm not up on the acronyms
Oops sorry about that man...
PAA is Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements, and the product is actually called CaD. I think the story is that it was named and labeled differently at first and Barbasol contacted them to change it, so CaD is for 'cease and desist.'

Oops sorry about that man...
PAA is Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements, and the product is actually called CaD. I think the story is that it was named and labeled differently at first and Barbasol contacted them to change it, so CaD is for 'cease and desist.'
Ha! That's brilliant.

So this stuff if that similar huh? I'll have to give it a try.

Thanks!

jesseix is correct. PAA CaD is likely as close as you can get. That is the only soap and AS I have from them and will always keep that around.

jesseix is correct. PAA CaD is likely as close as you can get. That is the only soap and AS I have from them and will always keep that around.
If you do get the AS, it is pretty strong in terms of scent strength. Most of the PAA splashes are labeled as aftershave/cologne, so they will be stronger and longer lasting than most other splashes.

If you do get the AS, it is pretty strong in terms of scent strength. Most of the PAA splashes are labeled as aftershave/cologne, so they will be stronger and longer lasting than most other splashes.
Yeah I saw that on the website. I have a sample of each sitting in the cart but seems a pity to only get a single sample.

Any others that are fan favorites or must haves?

Chris

I think he meant smells like the shaving cream (red) can. I don't know of any aftershave product that smells like that. Some kind of clone of YSL Rive Gauche (Fine American Blend Aftershave) or Azzaro Pour Homme aftershave might get close to what he's looking for.

Might be irrelevant but if you're chasing that Barbasol Original Scent DollarTree has Barbasol original body wash for $1 that is a dead ringer to the shaving cream

Might be irrelevant but if you're chasing that Barbasol Original Scent DollarTree has Barbasol original body wash for $1 that is a dead ringer to the shaving cream
Thanks for the thought, but I'm looking for a straight across replacement for the shaving cream, or at least an aftershave, maybe both!

On recommendation I've got a sample of PAA CaD coming in a couple days. We'll see how that turns out.

Shipped today!

I hate waiting....

its always the case.. you have all the time in the world when choosing, until you actually order it

you definitely wont be disappointed in that smell, the other one i like which is really close to CaD, is B&M Seville. Another good one is Declaration Grooming's Bandwagon, this is also a very good 'barbershop' scent but a bit different to CaD.

I prefer the CaD in the sense of scent itself but DG for the soap.

PAA’s Sun Down is to me a dead ringer for the Red Can Gillette Foamy which shouldn’t be a surprise as Sun Down is a clone of Gillette’s Sun Up which I’ve heard was scented the same as Foamy. The PAA Sun Down AS is much too strong and perfumey for me but the soap is pretty magical. It’s powdery and creamy and pretty much the epitome of what shaving cream should smell like.

Top Bottom