What's new

AS-D2 todsy

I just ordered one the other day, cant wait for it to get here. I have thought about getting this razor for over 10 years and never did because thought it would be too mild. Tried the plastic feather razor and didn't like it. Finally decided to give it a try or I will always be wondering..

I just ordered one the other day, cant wait for it to get here. I have thought about getting this razor for over 10 years and never did because thought it would be too mild. Tried the plastic feather razor and didn't like it. Finally decided to give it a try or I will always be wondering..
It is mild and expect a bit of a learning curve to find the angle at which it cuts. If your angle is off, it won't cut.

Yikes. That is the sort of thing that always kept me from pulling the trigger.
It’s not hard to find it but it is likely to be different from whatever you’re currently using.

When I was using an EJ DE89, I could be really sloppy with my angle, but can’t do that with the AS-D2.

What are you using now?

The AS-D2 is my most frequently used razor. I prefer to use it with an Astra blade. I get the best result if i ride the cap and use some pressure. This is the only razor i can increase the aggressiveness with pressure without causing irritation. If i apply any pressure, even on lower settings on my REX Ambassador i get punished. I agree there is a learning curve to this razor, but you will be rewarded if you spend the time. Also, i regret not getting the stand for it.
A side note on the feather blade. The blade functions well for about 3-4 shaves, than it causes irritation. I find the astra blade just loose its cutting efficiency gradually without causing irritation. Just my experience.

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
IMG_20201204_205412.jpg

My as-d2 love all my blades.

The AS-D2 is my most frequently used razor. I prefer to use it with an Astra blade. I get the best result if i ride the cap and use some pressure. This is the only razor i can increase the aggressiveness with pressure without causing irritation. If i apply any pressure, even on lower settings on my REX Ambassador i get punished. I agree there is a learning curve to this razor, but you will be rewarded if you spend the time. Also, i regret not getting the stand for it.
A side note on the feather blade. The blade functions well for about 3-4 shaves, than it causes irritation. I find the astra blade just loose its cutting efficiency gradually without causing irritation. Just my experience.

I agree - it is the most forgiving razor in my rotation also.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
Great razor. Just great. Never have used Feather blades in mine; Dorco Primes work wonderfully for me, though.

JPO is right. The razor requires some pressure, but handles it well. Never have gotten so much as a weeper or a burn form mine, despite bearing down around my chin, neck and jaw for BBS results. Moreover, the thin head makes easy work of shaving under my nose.

If anyone is on the fence about buying one, go for it. If you're unhappy, they re-sell quickly on BST.

Tried it today with a feather blade. The shave was a bit harsh with some bloody spots. Also some other spots no as close as I'd like. Will try again with my regular shark SC.

This is very much as I would have described the AS-D2 experience. In fact, I thought it was mine! Interestingly, more and more folks come back with the same experiential note about being able to use pressure IF you ride the cap. We all bemoan how consistently boring it is, but many of us are also very intrigued/surprised by the positive impact of this counter-intuitive application of familiarity and skill.

Tried it today with a feather blade. The shave was a bit harsh with some bloody spots. Also some other spots no as close as I'd like. Will try again with my regular shark SC.

This amazes me. To me the feather AS D2 is about as mild as it gets. I've been using mine for years with not a single cut or weeper.

This amazes me. To me the feather AS D2 is about as mild as it gets. I've been using mine for years with not a single cut or weeper.
I think it’s the Feather blade. I find that blade harsh too. The first pass is great, but unless I’m careful with absolutely no pressure, the second pass feels like it peels off the skin on sensitive (for me) areas like the chin and the bottom of the lower lip and there’s a little blood showing.

I was amazed too. I held off on buying this razor for 10+ years because I thought it would be too mild. Will try with my regular blade(shark SC) and will report back.

I was amazed too. I held off on buying this razor for 10+ years because I thought it would be too mild. Will try with my regular blade(shark SC) and will report back.
Tried today with a shark SC. No blood this time but not super close in a few spots. I'd say it's too mild now. I think with the feather blade I kept going over spots and maybe applying pressure because it wasn't getting close and that is why I got irritation.

I will be selling the razor. Posting on bst today.

Tried today with a shark SC. No blood this time but not super close in a few spots. I'd say it's too mild now. I think with the feather blade I kept going over spots and maybe applying pressure because it wasn't getting close and that is why I got irritation.

I will be selling the razor. Posting on bst today.
Why not hold on to it for a month or so and try it a few more time playing with the angle? I almost sold mine after the first two or three uses but then ended up keeping it and it became my daily driver.

Top Bottom