What's new

Artists' Club

Hey, look what came in the mail today! :clap:
Electric Blue RazoRock Hawk V2, plus some blades.
img_0260-jpg.1016691

img_0261-jpg.1016692

I'm in.
I used it for the first time tonight.
:eek: My God, the blade feels like it's a foot long. Fifty millimeters instead of the 37 mm cutting edge of a DE or 36-ish mm of a Schick injector. Like a window squeegee. I had to plan my route carefully when it came to bridging a "valley" on my neck.
Not much safety bar there, I can see why you like it!
Looks almost like a devette . . . "sevette"?

:eek: My God, the blade feels like it's a foot long. Fifty millimeters instead of the 37 mm cutting edge of a DE or 36-ish mm of a Schick injector. Like a window squeegee.
You'll get used to it. In fact, you'll wonder how you ever did without those extra 13-14 mm! :001_005:
The Hawk is a great razor -- I have two, black and electric blue. I haven't done DE for 3+ years. AC all the way for me.

You'll get used to it. In fact, you'll wonder how you ever did without those extra 13-14 mm! :001_005:
The Hawk is a great razor -- I have two, black and electric blue. I haven't done DE for 3+ years. AC all the way for me.
So how would you compare to a kamisori or straight razor? Anyone able to opine on that?

So I had my first shave with an AC format razor. I got a RR Black Hawk and ordered the 9 pack of sample blades from tryablade that I thought would fit in. When I finally decided to try it out, I had my wife pick a number from 1-9, opened the bag of blades and counted 7 down from the top (she picked 7.) I ended up on a Feather Soft Guard.

I loaded it up, lathered up, started moving the blade across my face and felt like it was the strangest, pseudo tuggy but not feeling I had ever felt. I assumed it might be the angle and kept shaving, playing with how I held the razor. I made it through my shave with some improvement and was shocked to find a DFS+ bordering on BBS shave without much effort.

After the shave I looked up the blade and saw a few people say the are kinda, "meh" and that the hole pattern doesn't line up with the hawk razor. Could have fooled me...It was a great shave. I am interested to test the blade for longevity and am not sure I am ready to bin all of my DE razors yet, but so far I am pleasantly surprised with the experience.

So how would you compare to a kamisori or straight razor? Anyone able to opine on that?

I've shaved with both shavettes (including AC type) and traditional straights. I had a RR Hawk that I got from one of the B/S/T forums. While it's certainly a decent razor, I found it wasn't for me. Since I am accustomed to feeling the open blade gliding across my skin, I'd find myself missing that feeling with the Hawk and overcompensating with excess pressure. With the Feather Pro Super blades, the additional blade exposure helped a bit in that regard, but I found myself shelving the razor and eventually trading it away.

I'm not knocking the Hawk. It's a great razor at a reasonable price. I think it's just that safety razors are not for me.

I hope that answers your question.

Rob

I've shaved with both shavettes (including AC type) and traditional straights. I had a RR Hawk that I got from one of the B/S/T forums. While it's certainly a decent razor, I found it wasn't for me. Since I am accustomed to feeling the open blade gliding across my skin, I'd find myself missing that feeling with the Hawk and overcompensating with excess pressure. With the Feather Pro Super blades, the additional blade exposure helped a bit in that regard, but I found myself shelving the razor and eventually trading it away.

I'm not knocking the Hawk. It's a great razor at a reasonable price. I think it's just that safety razors are not for me.

I hope that answers your question.

Rob
I hear you. There is nothing quite like a totally exposed blade. The balance I've struck is to use AC safety razors for the main shave -- because a safety razor is faster in the early a.m. -- and AC straights for touch-up -- my favorites are the Kai Captain Excelia or Feather DX. The Hawk leans towards the mild side, but on some mornings that's just the thing. :thumbup:

I hear you. There is nothing quite like a totally exposed blade. The balance I've struck is to use AC safety razors for the main shave -- because a safety razor is faster in the early a.m. -- and AC straights for touch-up -- my favorites are the Kai Captain Excelia or Feather DX. The Hawk leans towards the mild side, but on some mornings that's just the thing. :thumbup:
There are certainly many ways to skin a cat, and there are just as many ways to shear the whiskers from your face. That's the beauty of it. We all find what is optimal for ourselves.
:straight:

For me, the speed shave is generally done with the Kai Protouch guarded blade. That seems to satisfy my craving for the open blade, while being considerably more forgiving. I do have an Occam's OREN, which I have yet to use. If I like it, I may consider doing what you're doing with the Hawk when I want a quick shave.

I love the look of the Kai Excelia. Is yours the folding or fixed type?

I'm a big fan of Feather Artist Club in fact I got AC DX teak wood & a AC SS (non folding).
Recently, I just got myself a AC DX (non folding) from Japan. It's a black handle & not the usual light blue that most DX Kamisoris come with. Is that a exclusive Japanese model? Also it does not come with a case, it's just come with a green cardboard box.
Today shave...😍
DB11C897-C09C-455C-BFB1-AE05950BAF78.jpeg

Benkia369, nice razors! The wood-handled DX is really a beauty.

I'm a Feather SS man myself, and I use the folding razor exclusively, although I used the kamisori style razor for about 45 shaves when I had one on loan from a fellow forum member.

I have never seen that black-handled non-folding version before. Sweet score.

Benkia369, nice razors! The wood-handled DX is really a beauty.

I'm a Feather SS man myself, and I use the folding razor exclusively, although I used the kamisori style razor for about 45 shaves when I had one on loan from a fellow forum member.

I have never seen that black-handled non-folding version before. Sweet score.
Thank you for your kind words!
Yes, I really do like the AC DX in wooden scales but I seldom use that as I personally preferred kamisori style.
Till now, I'm still a newbie in straight razor shaving and mostly using my AC DX and SS both kamisori daily in rotation. Using a Feather soft guard blades, these are really smooth!
I really enjoyed every moment of the shave compared to my DE razors (I put one side already).

Recently I got myself a Feather Artist Club DX from a eBay seller from Japan.
However, I never see a black handle DX Kamisoris before not even in Feather official website. Hence, I emailed Feather to enquired them about this razor.
Found out its a limited edition made in 2015 and only available in Japan. Oh my! 😍

View attachment 1064473
You've hooked a good one there! :thumbup: I have the normal, powder-blue handle, and it's a doozie of a shaver. Enjoy your LE! 😍

Super happy with my Feather Artist Club SS with Muhle Sea Buckhorn shaving soap!
This soap not only smell darn good & also performed darn well too! 👍

493D755C-E4FB-450F-8A81-A0B0E85BC783.jpeg

Seasons Greetings to all my fellow Feather Artists and Happy Anniversary to this most excellent thread!

It was a fantastic face and head shave tonight here in Devon using this vintage pre-RG model Feather and a Pro Super blade.
Absolutely superb:
View attachment 938799

Does anybody know anything about the pre-RG Feather razors?
It would be great to make some kind of timeline...
It's known as Feather Professional 60, it's at least 20 years and it's pre-Artist Club Era.

On those Feather Professional 60's is there a slider on top? (looks like there is not).

Is that a small hole in the face of the razor? Possibly where the spring is mounted? Do you understand why it is there? Looks like a way for water and soap to enter. Thanks for posting the pictures, your razors look nice.

Top Bottom