What's new

Artists' Club

The DX has 0.2mm more exposure than the SS. Link.
So first shave for me with the N06 using a Pro Super (6)
View attachment 930612
This razor has the pressure bump on the jaws just like the Feather SS and really does shave like it if you hold it almost flat to the face.
Then the bump comes in to play distributing the pressure and stretching the skin.
As noted by @StillShaving this feature give the SS and its N06 clone a very different face feel to the DX.
If anything the effects of the pressure bump felt even more accentuated on the N06 than on the real SS.

But it sure looks cheap and the spring on mine is very stiff so that it takes a bit of effort to pinch open the jaws fully.
What metal do you think the head is made of?

Anyway for <£20 this is definitely worth every penny and a really good entry into the world of AC shavettes along with the ShearsDirect kami and the CJB/Greager.

Such a great way of shaving!
Good feedback all around. The N06 Feather SS clone is reportedly made from a Zinc alloy (Zamak). Mine is easier to pinch open than my DX, or rather I should say that the jaws open wider with making it easier to change blades by hand.

Got mine today. Looks Ok, not perfect but for 18€ it is good. I have to practice the blade exchange, always look for the sharp edge of the blade...

20181127_155314.jpg

Did anyone receive their "N06 Straight Edge Razor Folding Shaver Knife Barber Razor Wooden Handle Facial Hair Eyebrow Beard Shave Shaving Tool" aka Feather SS clone from Aliexpress yet? Mine came in over Thanksgiving and I took some quick photos. I did a quick one pass shave with a used blade, just to make sure it functioned properly. I have never used a Feather SS so I cannot compare the shave performance. It did feel differently than a DX, as if maybe there is something to this idea of providing additional skin stretching.

The exterior finish is not great but looks fine until you look closely. The scales are pretty nice, better than I was expecting. The leaf spring providing pressure to hold the blade in place is not as secure as Feather, there is some extra play or wobble where it is seated but under normal use I do not think it will be an issue. Mine came with a pleather case and one Pro Guard blade tucked inside the case. IMO it is worth $20 (on sale for $18 for a few more days), especially if one is unsure about this style or wants something for their travel kit. For an everyday razor I would get the original one.

Included a Feather DX in some of the pictures for comparison.

View attachment 930478 View attachment 930479 View attachment 930480 View attachment 930481 View attachment 930482
Thanks for all of the info here and through this thread. I’m pretty excited for mine to get in, whenever that may be

Count me in for the AC Club.

Also, not sure if it's posted anywhere, but the Dorco BB20 works fine in my Razorock Hawk V2. Just wanted to relay that info to anybody who needs it.

Reactions: bjm
As of last night, the Artist’s Club is officially one year old. Thanks for all the great info people. And Merry Christmas!

Seasons Greetings to all my fellow Feather Artists and Happy Anniversary to this most excellent thread!

It was a fantastic face and head shave tonight here in Devon using this vintage pre-RG model Feather and a Pro Super blade.
Absolutely superb:
040A0D84-2E61-4F23-BBFA-F6FD002F6EBA.jpeg

Does anybody know anything about the pre-RG Feather razors?
It would be great to make some kind of timeline...

Hi @Scoutk21 ,

please excuse the late reply. I like the N06 because the scales are a bit bigger than usual scales. But I have to admit that I don't use it regularly. I'm so pleased with my two Claymore SE razors. I get a faster and closer shave with them. So the N06 will be used if there is enough time and no daily hurry.

Soooo,

I have been on the fence for a really long time with this whole Feather artist. I just have not been able to justify the money spent for a nice Artist as opposed to a traditional straight. I really NICE traditional straight for that price. Anywho, fast forward a few months from my initial bit of thinking and I stumble upon this thread. I saw that there was another cheaper option coming from Aliexpress, the N06. This made more sense to me so in my slight haze, I had a few beverages whilst B&B'ing, so I went ahead and pulled the trigger. I all but forgot about this purchase from early December until it arrived the other day. I did the Amazon thing and got some blades here as fast as I could since I am leaving for a month tomorrow on business. I was NOT planning on taking this shavette with me. I had actually just honed two new razors to try today that were looking to make the cut. I made a last second decision to try the N06 instead. I paired it with a Strike Gold Shave Soap (Clinton), Yaqi Rainbow brush and som get here fast Feather Professional blades from Amazon.

Verdict: Ok. I get it now. I really do. I can't believe how well it did. I started pretty slow to get the right angle down. I have heard the horror stories from threads here and from the past and did not want to learn the hard way, but.... once I got that angle figured out it was off to the races! I am used to a synthetic edge on my razors so the very sharp feel was familiar. I got a little bold around my chin and under the nose since these are very tough stubble spots for me. The N06 had ZERO issues getting through the whiskers and I was pretty amazed at the closeness. I was even able to do much longer strokes than I expected. I had read a lot about gents doing shorter strokes but it handled really well so I gave it a shot. I still maintained a much lighter touch than what I am accustomed to throughout. I kept the thought of how sharp this thing is in the back of my head through the duration. By the end of the shave I was a little surprised. I got a BBS with 3 passes (1x WTG and 2x XTG in different directions, I can do that and get a great shave when I have shaved well the day prior) and did not feel irritated.

The big test was coming now with the alum block. Pulled it off of the shelf and prepared for what I am accustomed to with my old shavette. Not a thing in spots I was expecting. I got a touch of zing on the right jawline, but that was due to me zipping right over a raised area where there was an ingrown hair from a little while back. Post alum I threw on some Pinaud Whiskey Woods and got no feedback. No sting at all from the aftershave. What?!

Future Tony:

This shavette has officially made the cut for my trip. I am going to dedicate an entire week of shaving to it to see how it performs and ensure I am not having some beginners luck with this thing. I am sure it will get me eventually but I now know what it can do. I am hoping to get at least 3 shaves out of each blade but we will see. I will play with options for blades and read up further here on B&B. I have been tempted for months to put some money down on a Dorko but I am now looking at the REAL Feather options instead. Thanks to all who have provided info on this forum! Looking forward to the shaving adventures ahead!
IMG_9996.jpg

Soooo,

I have been on the fence for a really long time with this whole Feather artist. I just have not been able to justify the money spent for a nice Artist as opposed to a traditional straight. I really NICE traditional straight for that price. Anywho, fast forward a few months from my initial bit of thinking and I stumble upon this thread. I saw that there was another cheaper option coming from Aliexpress, the N06. This made more sense to me so in my slight haze, I had a few beverages whilst B&B'ing, so I went ahead and pulled the trigger. I all but forgot about this purchase from early December until it arrived the other day. I did the Amazon thing and got some blades here as fast as I could since I am leaving for a month tomorrow on business. I was NOT planning on taking this shavette with me. I had actually just honed two new razors to try today that were looking to make the cut. I made a last second decision to try the N06 instead. I paired it with a Strike Gold Shave Soap (Clinton), Yaqi Rainbow brush and som get here fast Feather Professional blades from Amazon.

Verdict: Ok. I get it now. I really do. I can't believe how well it did. I started pretty slow to get the right angle down. I have heard the horror stories from threads here and from the past and did not want to learn the hard way, but.... once I got that angle figured out it was off to the races! I am used to a synthetic edge on my razors so the very sharp feel was familiar. I got a little bold around my chin and under the nose since these are very tough stubble spots for me. The N06 had ZERO issues getting through the whiskers and I was pretty amazed at the closeness. I was even able to do much longer strokes than I expected. I had read a lot about gents doing shorter strokes but it handled really well so I gave it a shot. I still maintained a much lighter touch than what I am accustomed to throughout. I kept the thought of how sharp this thing is in the back of my head through the duration. By the end of the shave I was a little surprised. I got a BBS with 3 passes (1x WTG and 2x XTG in different directions, I can do that and get a great shave when I have shaved well the day prior) and did not feel irritated.

The big test was coming now with the alum block. Pulled it off of the shelf and prepared for what I am accustomed to with my old shavette. Not a thing in spots I was expecting. I got a touch of zing on the right jawline, but that was due to me zipping right over a raised area where there was an ingrown hair from a little while back. Post alum I threw on some Pinaud Whiskey Woods and got no feedback. No sting at all from the aftershave. What?!

Future Tony:

This shavette has officially made the cut for my trip. I am going to dedicate an entire week of shaving to it to see how it performs and ensure I am not having some beginners luck with this thing. I am sure it will get me eventually but I now know what it can do. I am hoping to get at least 3 shaves out of each blade but we will see. I will play with options for blades and read up further here on B&B. I have been tempted for months to put some money down on a Dorko but I am now looking at the REAL Feather options instead. Thanks to all who have provided info on this forum! Looking forward to the shaving adventures ahead!View attachment 942905
Great to have you on board Tony!
So now you know :)

I am hoping to get at least 3 shaves out of each blade but we will see.

The AC blades are not comparable to DE blades. Most AC user can use a single blade up to 30 times. So don't change to early. Give it a chance on a long run.

I used my N06 yesterday too. But it will be the last shave for a while... no need to see blood just to shave with this. My SE Claymores are my weapons of choice and I don't see any serious contender. Maybe the ATT SE1/2 but they are to expensive for me.

The AC blades are not comparable to DE blades. Most AC user can use a single blade up to 30 times. So don't change to early. Give it a chance on a long run.

I used my N06 yesterday too. But it will be the last shave for a while... no need to see blood just to shave with this. My SE Claymores are my weapons of choice and I don't see any serious contender. Maybe the ATT SE1/2 but they are to expensive for me.
Which versions of the Claymore do you have?
I have Claymore v2 and for me it is a serious contender for the Greatest Razor Ever Made prize!

So here’s the reply I got from Feather when I asked about the Artist Club blades.
Turns out they’ve been here since the 1970s!

“Thank you very much for your e-mail through our web site.

We have learned that you know our products for long time. We really
appreciate for your kind patronage.

As we review our long history, we found out that we launched Artist Club
injector blade in late 1970's and we got into the barber industry with
our first model of professional razor in early 1970's.

I personally came to know that we have very long history for Artist
Club razors through brief research based on your request.

We hope this informaion would meet your request.

Thank you again for your passion to our products.

Best Regards,

===========================================
Keiichi Sakaide (Mr.)
FEATHER SAFETY RAZOR CO., LTD.
Overseas Trade Division”

Soooo,

Future Tony:

This shavette has officially made the cut for my trip. I am going to dedicate an entire week of shaving to it to see how it performs and ensure I am not having some beginners luck with this thing. I am sure it will get me eventually but I now know what it can do. I am hoping to get at least 3 shaves out of each blade but we will see. I will play with options for blades and read up further here on B&B. I have been tempted for months to put some money down on a Dorko but I am now looking at the REAL Feather options instead. Thanks to all who have provided info on this forum! Looking forward to the shaving adventures ahead!View attachment 942905

I just noticed the soap in your post! That is hilarious. I have to know, what it smells like.

Top Bottom