What's new

Artist club vs DE blades ?

Hello,

I am wondering if someone who tried both Artist Club blades and DE blades in a shavette, can describe how they differ (comfort, how they feel etc.)

Thanks

The disposable straight blades are stiffer and longer which gives a different shave than a shavette with a half DE blade

I find that the artist club blades give a better shave, but then the AC straights cost much more than the straights that take half of a DE.

They're both equally sharp. I think any differences would be more a function of which shavette is being used, e.g. a lighter one such as the Parker using Feather DE blades versus an Artist Club DX folding razor using Feather Pro SE blades. It is apples and orange but I find shaving with the heavier folding AC DX more comfortable. Plus the SE blades last slightly longer compared to the DE.

I'm a big AC fan, so this take this for what it's worth. The AC blades were designed to be used as a straight and DE blades were designed for use with a safety bar. Thus, it's not surprising that the AC blades provide a better shaving experience. The blades are stiffer, longer, have rounded edges, and will last 8-10 shaves. While about the same in sharpness, I do think the AC blades are honed and angled with the assumption they'll be used in in straight. The shave is so much more comfortable with less likelihood of harm than de blades used in a shavette (although the AC are super sharp - much more than a real straight - so be careful).

I have just received samples from translate.com. Great service from this seller. I am starting to compare. Will post on specific threads

In my experience with my Feather Artist Club SS Fixed, I have found that the Artist Club blades last longer than the double edge blades. I can get about 10-12 three-pass shaves from a Kai Captain Mild blade. I'm sure I can get more if I stropped it. However, Artist Club blades are more expensive than double edge blades, so there's that.

Yep, the only user friendly and accurate keyboard is the blackberry 10 keyboard. Just the best keyboard on any phone.

Will the DE blade half work in the Feather SS? I get good shaves from my various safety razors, but have ordered the Feather Artist Club SS (folder) and a cartridge of Feather Professional blades to try it out. I have what is probably nearly a lifetime's worth of DE blades (mostly Feather and Derby).

DE half blades won't fit in the Feather AC. The size is different and it won't hold them securely. I've used the same Feather set up as you ordered and I really enjoyed it. It's crazy sharp, so you need to be on your game, but I like the stiffer blade over the shavette with DE blades. Adds to the confidence and comfort of that razor, whereas the DE blades in a shavette are quicker to bite. That said, shavettes are so cheap and easy to come by you might want to get a handle and try some of your blades in it for comparison.

The finish of the Feather AC is super nice. I wish I hadn't sold mine!

Thanks! That's what everyone says, except an Amazon reviewer who says he is a barber. https://www.amazon.com/Feather-Folding-Handle-Razor-Black/dp/B008CF6KMC But based on his photos, there's a lot of exposed blade. I'm beginning to think the Artist Club blade may be one of the reasons to use the Feather AC. Will find out in two days when the razor arrives. BTW, based on the posts here, the Feather must have had a huge price drop a while back since they're just under $60 now.

Thanks! That's what everyone says, except an Amazon reviewer who says he is a barber. https://www.amazon.com/Feather-Folding-Handle-Razor-Black/dp/B008CF6KMC But based on his photos, there's a lot of exposed blade. I'm beginning to think the Artist Club blade may be one of the reasons to use the Feather AC. Will find out in two days when the razor arrives. BTW, based on the posts here, the Feather must have had a huge price drop a while back since they're just under $60 now.
I could see an experienced barber using that combination (Feather SS + 1/2 DE blade) for touch ups around the ears, sideburns, and back of the neck. But not shaving the whole face (though I would not bet against it).

I have experienced barbers outside the US doing free hand touch ups. Meaning they would hold a bare DE blade in hand while trimming around the ears and leveling off the sideburns. I suspect touch ups is what the barber in the Amazon review is doing. The Feather would certainly make it easy and quick to reload blades.

I could see an experienced barber using that combination (Feather SS + 1/2 DE blade) for touch ups around the ears, sideburns, and back of the neck. But not shaving the whole face (though I would not bet against it).

I have experienced barbers outside the US doing free hand touch ups. Meaning they would hold a bare DE blade in hand while trimming around the ears and leveling off the sideburns. I suspect touch ups is what the barber in the Amazon review is doing. The Feather would certainly make it easy and quick to reload blades.
Without a blade holder, I would think the PTFE GEM blade to be a better idea for free handing side burns and such.

Top Bottom