What's new

Artist Club Razor Blade Opinions

View attachment 1495575

It's been a little bit of a secret but this 24k gold dipped Occam's O.R.E.N. should be arriving at my home today.
In this case, I agree with the above about starting with the Protouch MG. This is the only "safety" razor where this actually makes sense as the blade is suspended instead of supported. I have read about some bad results long ago from people who didn't have the discipline to maintain a light touch, flexing the blade slightly. I would still start with the more aggressive plate though! :devil:

In this case, I agree with the above about starting with the Protouch MG. This is the only "safety" razor where this actually makes sense as the blade is suspended instead of supported. I have read about some bad results long ago from people who didn't have the discipline to maintain a light touch, flexing the blade slightly. I would still start with the more aggressive plate though! :devil:
I think I'm going to pick up both the Feather ProGuard Blades and the KAI Captain Titan Mild Protouch MG w/guard blades and compare the two. From all I've gathered these two seem like the best choices to begin with.

I'm definitely beginning with the 3 dot aggressive plate :cool:

I have tried every Artist Club lade except the Feather Light and the guarded Kai blade. So the unguarded Feathers are head and shoulders the most aggressive. The unguarded Kais are the next in line, followed by the Prolines. You can also buy Dorco blades from Maggards and Shears Direct blades from their web site or from Amazon. These last two are VERY mild in comparison to all the others, so I recommend you start with these and work your way "up' the ladder of aggressive.

The guarded Feathers are great. I am not so keen on their feel, and I prefer the Soft Guard over the Pro Guard. These blades are just as sharp as the unguarded blades, but MUCH more forgiving.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I have tried every Artist Club lade except the Feather Light and the guarded Kai blade. So the unguarded Feathers are head and shoulders the most aggressive. The unguarded Kais are the next in line, followed by the Prolines. You can also buy Dorco blades from Maggards and Shears Direct blades from their web site or from Amazon. These last two are VERY mild in comparison to all the others, so I recommend you start with these and work your way "up' the ladder of aggressive.

The guarded Feathers are great. I am not so keen on their feel, and I prefer the Soft Guard over the Pro Guard. These blades are just as sharp as the unguarded blades, but MUCH more forgiving.
I didn't like the Feather ProSoft Guards as much as the ProGuards, but I'm sure that's just one of those personal things. I can get good shaves with both. The Kai Titan MG Protouch blades are equal to the ProGuards for me... and might be just a tad nicer, but those two are my personal choices after the same testing you did.

My ranking based on my shavette usage on the blades used is :

1. Kai Pink for overall usage
2. Feather Proguard (like Kai pink almost, with added protection)
3. Kai Protouch (not as smooth as the Feather PG. Last a lot of shaves)
4. Kai Standard (a bit sharper than I like, but very smooth.)

I didn't like the Feather ProSoft Guards as much as the ProGuards, but I'm sure that's just one of those personal things. I can get good shaves with both. The Kai Titan MG Protouch blades are equal to the ProGuards for me... and might be just a tad nicer, but those two are my personal choices after the same testing you did.
Are your two choices the same as what I said I was going to get or are you referring to the Kai Captain Mild Titan Protouch MG without guard?

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Are your two choices the same as what I said I was going to get or are you referring to the Kai Captain Mild Titan Protouch MG without guard?
Sorry, I missed your question. I ended up preferring both the Protouch guarded blade and the offering from Feather: the ProGuard, better than any of the other blades I tried. As always, the qualifier, i.e., YMMV.

Sorry, I missed your question. I ended up preferring both the Protouch guarded blade and the offering from Feather: the ProGuard, better than any of the other blades I tried. As always, the qualifier, i.e., YMMV.
I think I'm going to pick up both the Feather ProGuard Blades and the KAI Captain Titan Mild Protouch MG w/guard blades and compare the two. From all I've gathered these two seem like the best choices to begin with.

So, it looks to me like the answer is yes. Your suggestions are the same as what I'm planning on purchasing.

The confusion is that KAI makes both the "KAI Captain Titan Mild" and the "KAI Captain Titan Mild Protouch MG w/guard".

So basically, I'm going to pick up both the KAI and Feather AC blades with guards. At least to start with.

9D4B00EE-F4F7-44CB-B86A-EA84B970AB64.jpeg

My blade choices arrived yesterday. Now I'm ready for single-edge September.

Reviving this thread. Can anyone confirm if there is a discernible difference in efficiency between the Kai Captain Titans Mild (No guard) and the Kai Protouch MG (with guard?). I bought a Vector from another B&B user and it included a boat load of the Protouch MG blades. The shaves have been very smooth and decently efficient. Would I be getting any benefit by switching to the guard-less Kai Captain Titans or should I just be happy with what I have and save the money?

For what it’s worth I tried a Feather Pro blade (no guard) for a couple of shaves and found it a bit tuggy compared to the Kai blades.

Reviving this thread. Can anyone confirm if there is a discernible difference in efficiency between the Kai Captain Titans Mild (No guard) and the Kai Protouch MG (with guard?). I bought a Vector from another B&B user and it included a boat load of the Protouch MG blades. The shaves have been very smooth and decently efficient. Would I be getting any benefit by switching to the guard-less Kai Captain Titans or should I just be happy with what I have and save the money?

For what it’s worth I tried a Feather Pro blade (no guard) for a couple of shaves and found it a bit tuggy compared to the Kai blades.
One way to look at this is that the underlying blade is exactly the same so if you are getting a close enough shave then you have nothing to gain by venturing out from what you have. For me, the Kai PINK blades(no guard) are wonderfully mild, but adding the guard frustrates me for the most part, it basically reduces the blade exposure. Once the blade starts loosing sharpness, I find that I don't want to keep pushing it with the guarded blade because it will just skip over stubble since I am a daily shaver. For others, it takes the bite out of either their razor or the AC blades. Also, compared to Feather Pro Guards, the guards themselves are more closely spaced and further reduces efficiency(increase safety though). I find the Feather Pros in a safety razor rather harsh and the Pro Guards are actually a reasonable compromise for me because of the wider spacing as long as I don't increase pressure(but you can push through with more confidence if they feel tuggy). Neither is right or wrong, it just depends what works for you.

Last edited:
I have shaved with most AC blades and so here are my thoughts.

The Kais are sharp, but the coating wears off very quickly making them uncomfortable past about the forth shave. The Prolines give the longest life. They are a step down in sharpness and smoothness compared to the Feathers. I get up to thirty shaves with them. The Feathers are insanely sharp. For me, they take about six shaves before they give an 'easy' and comfortable shave. I toss my Feather blades after sixteen three pass shaves. The Dorco blades are much milder and give a very easy shave. They also benefit from a stropping before the first use. For me the give about six shaves.

I recommend you give the Kais a miss. The others I mentioned are fine. I also have some Shears direct blades. They are as mild as the Kais, but I only get two or three shaves from them.

Top Bottom