What's new

Artist Club August

So the Feather ProGuard blade is a bit more aggressive than a guarded KAI? Is it a tad more effective as well?

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I received a cased Leresche DE razor today and I have two vintage Rotbart razors on the way so I may struggle to stick with the Feather for the entire month. Anyway, a single pass today and I can tell that using the Feather is getting more natural as I am no longer having to pause several times during the shave to decide which hand to use or how best to hold the razor. I suppose that is the muscle memory improving.

Sketch_1597153589535.jpg

EclipseRedRing

20200812_082426.jpg

A two pass shave today and my results are now consistently as good as using a DE which is huge progress. One difference is that using the Feather I get a better result if I am starting with a slightly longer beard growth. Perhaps I am imagining it. I feel ready to switch to the Professional blade but I will wait until next week.

Great progress!

I will repeat my question: do you find Feather ProGuard blades somewhat more efficient than KAI ProTouch MG? Thanks!

sotd_14082020.jpg

Alright, Feather Pro Guard blades are definitely more efficient (and a bit more aggressive) than KAI ProTouch MG. I've been struggling to achieve something more than DFS with the latter. Whereas with a Pro Guard I've got near-BBS results with no additional efforts. I still hope to improve my technique while shaving certain areas of the neck. But today's shave was undoubtedly satisfying.

EclipseRedRing

I found this information about Feather AC blades on their Japanese website. It shows the specifications of each blade and the exposure in the SS and DX razors. This confirms what was said above that the Proguard blade has the same exposure as the Professional blade. It seems as if the DX has a 0.2mm greater exposure than the SS. I wonder if there is similar information for blades from other manufacturers.

1597392581759.png

EclipseRedRing

Sketch_1597393023054.jpg

I had a rare no shave day yesterday. I definitely get better results, and have a more enjoyable shave with the Feather Artist Club if I have a decent beard growth. I am surprised at how quickly my technique has improved and plan to switch to the Professional blade next week.

EclipseRedRing

Lumii_20200816_082725950.jpg

A two pass AC shave today after a DE shave yesterday. After a couple of weeks of using the Feather AC I had an excellent DE shave yesterday and I wonder if using the Feather has had the unexpected benefit of improving my DE technique. Perhaps I am now even more aware of angle and pressure during a DE shave. Maybe some practice with a Feather AC razor would benefit all DE shavers.

View attachment 1140647

I wonder if using the Feather has had the unexpected benefit of improving my DE technique. Perhaps I am now even more aware of angle and pressure during a DE shave. Maybe some practice with a Feather AC razor would benefit all DE shavers.

I definitely did not truly understand what light pressure meant until I shaved with a feather ss. Using the feather definitely improved my DE technique and i had been a DE shaver for years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm in! I have been using my Feather SS for every single shave since September 24th of last year except for one shave this past February when I was on the road.

I love my SS. I have never tried the DX. I HATE guarded blades. The razor shaves so much better with non-guarded blades. I'm particularly fond of the Schick Proline. I get a month of shaves (4 shaves/week) minimum with the Proline versus about 2-3 weeks with a Feather blade of any kind.

Again, I've never used the DX, but with the SS, there is no need for a guarded blade, even for beginners. The little bump makes it pretty safe.

Which blades do you find milder: Schick ProLine, or KAI Captain Titan Mild?
I'm not sure exactly what you mean by mild in describing a blade. I have always used that term only for razors.
For me the prolines are sharper and more reliably sharp; in other words, there are virtually no duds. With the Kai blades, in my experience, some of them are great but others tug pretty badly.

EclipseRedRing

Lumii_20200819_082813121.jpg

My first shave with the Feather Professional blade, two passes WTG/ATG. I focused on angle and pressure and tried, not to shave my face, but instead to just barely shave the lather from my face, a subtle but effective difference. The result is excellent with no cuts or weepers although there is a little redness and a fantastic burn - which I love. I definitely prefer to hold the razor with my free hand on the end of the blade when doing the upward pass on my top lip. A good result and I feel I have a solid foundation on which to continue shaving with the Professional blade. The Proguard blades are still a fine alternative for variety and will not be discarded.

EclipseRedRing

Sketch_1597995821138.jpg

A two pass shave today and after my relative early success I had a small cut under the chin and one under the nose when doing the upward pass on the top lip. Both were the kind that take ten seconds to start bleeding, seem to bleed a lot, then after they stop it seems like there is no visible cut at all. So, room for improvement which is the point of the exercise. 👍

Top Bottom