What's new

Artist Club August

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I often use a Feather Artist Club DX in my rotation but always finish up with a DE for the final tidy up pass; this is due to my lack of skill with the Feather. It looks like I will be continuing to work at home for at least the next month so it occurred to me that this is a great opportunity to improve my technique. So, for the whole of August I will use nothing but my Feather Artist Club DX with no DE tidy up passes allowed. They say that you are what you repeatedly do, so here's hoping that by the end of August I am proficient with this fantastic razor. I use a very light touch, a very shallow angle, and a wetter lather than I use with a DE razor but any other tips would be appreciated. Why not join me?

Sketch_1591337730301.jpg

Good idea. I will join you with the month of August with the same razor.

I think part of it is getting enough repetition to build muscle memory. My main advice would be switch your focus to avoiding any cuts or weepers. Meaning your mind is not focused on getting close shave, instead you are obsessively focused on avoiding any weepers at the expensive of a close shave. This will really teach you about touch and pressure. And what areas of your face need more focus to make them flatter, etc. I think that approach will lead you to getting better shaves sooner.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I often use a Feather Artist Club DX in my rotation but always finish up with a DE for the final tidy up pass; this is due to my lack of skill with the Feather. It looks like I will be continuing to work at home for at least the next month so it occurred to me that this is a great opportunity to improve my technique. So, for the whole of August I will use nothing but my Feather Artist Club DX with no DE tidy up passes allowed. They say that you are what you repeatedly do, so here's hoping that by the end of August I am proficient with this fantastic razor. I use a very light touch, a very shallow angle, and a wetter lather than I use with a DE razor but any other tips would be appreciated. Why not join me?

View attachment 1132997

A laudable goal! :thumbup:

I may join you periodically with my Feather SS. Do my AC SE razors qualify for Artist Club August?

Thank you. :)

I typically use my Mergress XL on the final pass to the Feather AC RG... been doing this for many years. Unbelievably close shaves, barbers could not do better. My own barber told me so! 😉 The Feather with the ProGuard blade is my regular shave, so close, that even with a strong beard growth, I shave every other to every third day.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Well...... I can make an exception for an Ambassador 😆 Besides, we are a bit thin on the ground so cannot afford to be too choosy 🤣 Welcome aboard, any tips appreciated 👍

Thank you, Sir. I am a rank beginner with the Feather SS, so I will be the one looking for tips. ;)

The success I have experienced with latest batch of SE razors that take the AC blades (Vector, General v2, Hawk V3-OC, etc.) has given me a glimpse of how good these blades can be.

My shaves for today, Monday and Tuesday are set. I'll go with the Feather SS on Wednesday! :)

In the meantime, I used a Schick Proline in the Blackland Vector yesterday:
shave 20200801_112037_2.jpg

Will be using the same kit today, just different brush, and will post that later today.

Thank you, again, for the clarification regarding Single Edge AC razors. :)

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Couldn't wait until Wednesday. Impulse control was never one of my long suits..... ;)

'Single Edge Sunday', 'The Daily Double' and 'Artist Club August' Shave 20200802
shave 20200802_143005.jpg
lissy shave cream.jpg
Pre-shave: Bowman Brothers Cognac & Cyprus
Razor (WTG): Feather SS Artist Club Japanese Straight :001_wub:
Blade: Kai Captain Titan Protouch w/Guard (4)
Razor (XTG/ATG x 2): @Blackland Razors Vector :001_wub:
Blade: Schick Proline (6)
Brush: @Rudy Vey Butterscotch Beehive (Shavemac 24mm 2-Band Silvertip)
Soap: La Toja Cream
Post-shave: Hyaluronic Acid
Aftershave: La Toja
Cologne: La Toja

WTG, XTG/ATG & XTG/ATG. Minor touch-up.

BBS (Bride Approved) with no nicks, cuts, weepers or irritation.

Thanks to @EclipseRedRing for starting this Artist Club August thread. I decided that it's high time I get to know my Feather SS Artist Club Japanese Straight a whole lot better. :)

Completed the entire WTG pass, including top lip and chin, with the Feather SS. The two XTG/ATG passes were easily handled by the @Blackland Razors Vector. I am pleased to report that the combined shave was smooth, close, efficient, comfortable and effective.

Did I mention that I am really stoked that I did the entire WTG pass with the Feather SS? ;)

A beautiful 'Single Edge Sunday', 'The Daily Double' and 'Artist Club August' shave! :)

Top Bottom