What's new

Artisan's Vs traditional

Old school for me, if it works well and gives great shaves. Why change or add? Adding more soaps to already too many soaps, makes no sence for me. Cella (kilo) Arko (bowl pressed) Williams/ Dove is plenty soap for me.

I definitely love the latest & best of the artisan soaps, especially the big 3 in my opinion- A&E, WK, & B&M. But I also love me some traditional soaps to add variety & performance is also no slouch--Tabac, Haslinger, Fine Accoutrements.
Hi are you really a born again pastor because I'm also a believer in are lord and saviour jesus christ God bless you and yours

I definitely love the latest & best of the artisan soaps, especially the big 3 in my opinion- A&E, WK, & B&M. But I also love me some traditional soaps to add variety & performance is also no slouch--Tabac, Haslinger, Fine Accoutrements.
Hi are you really a born again pastor because I'm also a believer in are lord and saviour jesus christ God bless you and yours
Are you really a born again pastor as i am believer in are lord jesus christ aswell God bless you and yours

Are you really a born again pastor as i am believer in are lord jesus christ aswell God bless you and yours
I know that I have done exactly what you are describing and no longer have any classics in my den. If the artisans disappear someday we will have no choice but to go back, but for now I keep GD, Tallow +Steel, B&M, and Chiseled Face in my den. I donated my Tabac, TOBS, and Colonel Conk to a friend whom I started in wet shaving and is now addicted to this life. I was sad to see them go, but for one reason or another they didn't stack up. Usually it was in the scent or facial dryness after the shave categories that they failed me, not really in the performance areas. Now that there are so many great artisans that can just dominate in all of my personal categories of importance, the old work horses have just been collecting dust and taking up space. So I did what any true wet shaver would do and I paid them forward free of charge to drag yet another man into the wet shaving void. "First one is always on the house," that's how I lure them in. Now I have yet another soul to have endless talks with about all of the nuances and preferences that come along with this lifestyle. But, I digress, only a wee bit though. Remeber, one will never convince most men who love their tried and true soap to ever change, and you shouldn't. Why you ask? Because personal tastes and differences in all of us humans are what make B&B so great. All of the differences in opinon, strong allegiances, and what some would call blasphemy and others would call elysium are what make the wet shaving world and B&B what they are. What are they you ask? Pure awesomeness, that's what they are. B&B is a place for me to sit back and watch the drama unfold with no one the wiser that I am there. It is a place where I can actively debate. It is a place where I can share my thoughts. Most importantly it is a brotherhood filled with information and experiences from every day people like you and I. That my friend you can not debate. It always ends with YMMV and to each thier own. **hops of the soapbox** Happy shaves. Cheers!
That's a very good reply all the very best

Ive gone back to non artisanal soap.

My skin feels better.

Artisan soaps feel like the clog my pores and make my skin look shiny.

Tobs, truefit, trumpers ect ect are back in my den. The rest are sold and thrown out...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So here is my subjective, unscientific experiment with much too small a sample size to be meaningful. I use both artisan and traditional soaps, so for this test on consecutive days I first used Mitchell's Wool Fat (MWF) on day 1 and then Ariana & Evans Vetiver Magnifique (A&E) on day 2. I used the same prep:
  • Shower
  • Splash warm water on face
  • Apply 3 or 4 drops of homemade (mostly jojoba oil) pre-shave to face
I ran hot water over my Yaqi Rainbow Brown synthetic brush, shook it out and loaded the brush with exactly 100 swirls, and then proceeded to bowl lather exactly 100 swirls. Surprisingly, MWF generated about 30% more lather in the bowl than the A&E, although both produced more lather than I needed for my usual 2 pass shave and would have been more than sufficient for another pass. I shaved using a Muhle Rocca with a Gillette Platinum blade that already had 2 shaves on it.

Both soaps were easily applied to my face and did not dry out at all during the shave. I think that the A&E may have provided a slightly more cushioned feel, but if there was any difference it was barely perceptible. After my two pass shave, I followed the identical post-shave routine:
  • Rinse with warm water
  • Run alum block over face
  • After cleaning up bowl, brush and sink, rinse face with cold water
  • Apply Woody's post shave balm
Immediate post-shave feel and several hours later, the edge here goes to MWF. Again the difference is quite minor, but in this instance I feel confident that there is a difference.

Conclusion: While both of these soaps are great, MWF is the overall winner in my opinion - leaving out the subjective issue of scent. Not only does it build more lather more quickly, it uses less soap to do it, costs less, the puck lasts significantly longer and it provides better post-shave feel. Will I abandon artisan soaps? Not at all. In fact I am awaiting the arrival of a couple of new soaps from Cold River Soapworks.
👍

I have to say the post shave and skin benefits of Grooming Dept are above everything else I’ve tried by a good margin.

The huge problem I have with Grooming Dept is I need more and can’t get any easily. I’m just not willing to become a fanboy and stockpile 36 scents and bases from my favorite maker, so I keep Haslinger Schafmilch on hand as my backup and I’ll probably always keep either Haslinger Schafmilch or Cella on hand as long as I can easily get my hands on them. I also keep Arko around in case I need to drain all the oils from my face mid-summer in Texas heat.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I've not tried many artisan soaps, but of those I've tried, nothing beats Mitchell's Wool Fat. The nearest I've found to in shave performance is Wickhams, but it's twice the price, and still doesn't compete on post shave. I've stopped chasing other people's recommendations now, and will stick with MWF long term, and just using the occasional sample for the sake of variety.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Can I ask what artisans soaps do you think were not up to the MWF? I'm asking because I'm debated on this subject as well.

Off the top of my head, I know I've tried MdC, PdP, Phoenix & Beau, Wickhams 1912 (as mentioned above), a couple of local craft soap makers... then my memory fails :) Might be more in my shave journal. I now there's a few creams in there. I'm sure this will lead to "don't write off artisans till you've tried X" type comments, but I've stopped chasing other peoples preferences.

Well, at the moment I am erring towards artisan, but that's not to say that I don't keep some traditional stuff in my den.... although at the moment that would be only creams, Speick or St James of London. I do feel that artisan stuff does pay more attention to post shave feel and slickness, not to mention they are far more daring with scents.

At the moment here in Spain, we are living a sort of a golden era regarding artisan soaps. There's one particular guy who started very recently and still sells only via one of our forums. He is a very keen straight razor shaver (he actually despises shaving with anything else, he's a bit peculiar that way), and he decided he wanted to try his hand at making the best soap for straight razor shaving. I must say, his stuff is highly impressive, particularly for a newcomer who has gone from nothing to doing soaps in a very, very short amount of time. I wouldn't hesitate to put his stuff next to A&E or B&M. I know it is a bold statement but that's just how good the guy's soaps are. His line is called Daisho. If you ever get the chance to try it, don't hesitate.

In any case, in the end there's good soaps, bad soaps and mediocre soaps (and even such an absolute statement is actually quite relative depending on the user), and that's the same with old school and artisan ones.

traditional soaps are NOT going away anytime soon. Tabac, Palmolive, arko, derby, trumpers, taylors, mitchells, non of them are going away. Similar soaps as well.

Why? they have a standardized product. I can buy a stick of each in any country I go to that sells it, and the results will be the same, true each lot date may be slightly different in scent, but that's normal. Its hard to keep the scent perfectly the same between 3,000 pound batches.

a lot of so called artisans are not artisans in anyway. A lot of it is using melt and pour soap, and when its melted randomly throwing a lot of weird scents and oils into it.

barrister and man cant really be called artisan as they are a fully functional commodity that is doing what many other companies do.

Martin de Candre CAN be called an artisanal soap company. Not only by methods used, but by production quantity. And attitude.

some have called razo rock as artisan over the years, they isn't at all.

Saying traditional or "old" shaving soaps are old news is going a bit far in my opinion. Those classic soaps like Tabac, Arko, Williams, Palmolive, etc. have been around for generations for a reason. If they weren't good, they would have died off long ago because of lack of sales. They are proven to work for many people, are easy to use, and last forever.

Umm... some of them are dying off. Like Palmolive. It's not sold in stores in the UK anymore.

Aka 'post shave feel'.

This seems to be the primary attraction of artisan soap. Soaps are drying, but some artisan soaps contain such a high amount of ingredients that are more usually found in a high end moisturiser than a soap that they may actually have a net moisturizing effect.

However, I do suspect that your skin would thank you even more if you simply lathered up with a soap and applied a high end balm or moisturiser afterwards. And you'd save a few $€£

I don't think its quite the same. Drying out your skin produces an inflammatory reaction to various degrees. Better to have a less aggressive soap or cream in the first place that doesn't strip your skin.

Top Bottom