What's new

Artisan Shaving soaps without Lanolin

Hey there gents, Im lookimg for recommendations on soaps with no lanolin in their formulation. I have tried Proraso cream and shaved with it when I started my wetshaving journey years ago, it will always be my fall back product. At some some point I stopped using a brush and shaving cream and would only use canned go but I never went back to cartidges or disposables, always kept a DE by my side. Now that Im back and can afford shaving soaps I wanna start using them. I have tried the following soaps and here is my opinion on them.

Stirling Mountain man: Beautiful Scent, was a blind buy but I fell in love with it. I had about 5 Shaves with it and about 3 test lathers. Unfortunately it seems it didnt agree with my skin. I had no issues whipping up a lather except for the first time. Found out that this soap is quite thirsty. Every time I used it with a Razor/blade combo I trusted, my skin would burn a bit afterwards and it qould feel raw the next day. I figured it was the tallow or fragrance upsetting my skin so I traded it.

Caties Bubbles La Marche de Rusage: Wonderful scent, aquatic and creamy I dare say. No trouble forming a lather, I got this soap because of the vegan base to see if it would behave differently than Stirling. Unfourtanely this soaps burns my fave a bit, not alarmingly so but enough to cause discomfort during the shave and about half hour after. Will probably end up trading this one.

Nobble Otter Monarch sample: I tried this soap twice with a trustworthy razor and blade combo. No burning but like Stirling it left my face feeling raw the next day. Amazing scent though.

The Artisans Soap Shoppe Black Market (tallow version): I just tried this last night using an R41 with a Nacet. I wasn't aiming for a close shave, but I got a DFS. The lather could have been better but that was on my end. However, today my face doesn't feel raw like the other 2 Tallow based soaps.

So I took a list at all the ingredients for the tallow based soaps that I have used so far, and guess what I found out. The two soaps that irritated my skin, Stirling and Otter Monarch, both habe lanolin in their ingredients list meawhile the Black Market doesn't. That leads me to believe I might have a small uncomfortable reaction with lanolin, hence my search for lanolin free shaving soaps.

So based on this what do you gents recommend? Might I be imagining all this and work on my technique? Has anyone else had an issue like mine?

What lanolin soaps do you guys recommend?

Thank you for taking the time to read and any input you might have.

I believe that the Grooming Dept bases are all lanolin free. Most are sold out now, but there are a few vegan soaps available right now.
Tallow & Steel, the vegan versions of Wholly Raw and the Barrister & Mann Barrister's Reserve line are lanolin free as well. These are the ones from my favorite makers.

Also worth thinking about in no particular order: Chiseled Face, Dr. Jon's, Eleven, Haslinger (other than Schafmilch), Wet Shaving Products Formula T, Le Pere Lucien, Storybook Soapworks.

I had your exact problem. It took me six months into my wet shaving journey to realize my skin didn’t jibe with Lanolin. I almost quit, because my face was burning and irritated all the time. Unfortunately, by that time I had a large collection of Stirling, WK, DG and Eufros soaps. I loved them all, but they all have Lanolin so I had to sell the lot on BST.

I have now moved on to the following Lanolin free offerings. All of these are also fantastic performers. They are ranked in my order of preference:

1) Grooming Department;
2) Barrister and Mann, Reserve line only;
3) Pannacrema, Nuavias;
4) Tallow & Steel;
5) SV; and
6) CRSW, Glide line

Lanolin or no, these are all superb soaps, and you will begin to notice a dramatic improvement in your post-shave face feel as you move totally away from Lanolin.

Finally, be careful of a few balms out their with Lanolin like T&H, old Chatillon Lux, and Myrsol Emulsion.

You will love your shaves now.

Happy Shaving,

Rusty

Mike's is one of my favorites, but I think it includes lanolin if I'm not mistaken?
In addition to the great recommendations above, Siliski, Dr Jon's and Soap Commander are other vegan soaps without lanolin that I really enjoy.

Last edited:

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Long Rifle! Excellent scent and performance.

D.R. Harris! Good enough for the royal family, good enough for me. But seriously, it’s a great soap. I know you asked for artisans, but I think it’s up there.

I had your exact problem. It took me six months into my wet shaving journey to realize my skin didn’t jibe with Lanolin. I almost quit, because my face was burning and irritated all the time. Unfortunately, by that time I had a large collection of Stirling, WK, DG and Eufros soaps. I loved them all, but they all have Lanolin so I had to sell the lot on BST.

I have now moved on to the following Lanolin free offerings. All of these are also fantastic performers. They are ranked in my order of preference:

1) Grooming Department;
3) Pannacrema, Nuavias;
4) Tallow & Steel;
5) SV; and
6) CRSW, Glide line

Lanolin or no, these are all superb soaps, and you will begin to notice a dramatic improvement in your post-shave face feel as you move totally away from Lanolin.

Finally, be careful of a few balms out their with Lanolin like T&H, old Chatillon Lux, and Myrsol Emulsion.

Happy Shaving,

Rusty

Thank you for your input, I meant to put Lanolin Free soaps. Im on mobile, sorry fpr any mistakes. I actually just secured a trade for a Barrister and Man Reserve Fern so I will start there. I forgot to point out that I also used a Siliski soap and also no irritation the day after.

I've had the same problem with lanolin. What's funny to me is the number of makers who are marketing soap as "sensitive skin" because it's unscented but still include lanolin.

One other suggestion... Stirling's "Unscented with Beeswax" does not contain lanolin and is an excellent choice. I'll be buying another puck soon when a couple others run put. Dapper Dragon unscented is also a good choice.

Mike T.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

1) Grooming Department;
3) Pannacrema, Nuavias;
4) Tallow & Steel;
5) SV; and
6) CRSW, Glide line

Happy Shaving,

Rusty

Hi! Just to point, e GEA
Hey there gents, Im lookimg for recommendations on soaps with no lanolin in their formulation. I have tried Proraso cream and shaved with it when I started my wetshaving journey years ago, it will always be my fall back product. At some some point I stopped using a brush and shaving cream and would only use canned go but I never went back to cartidges or disposables, always kept a DE by my side. Now that Im back and can afford shaving soaps I wanna start using them. I have tried the following soaps and here is my opinion on them.

Stirling Mountain man: Beautiful Scent, was a blind buy but I fell in love with it. I had about 5 Shaves with it and about 3 test lathers. Unfortunately it seems it didnt agree with my skin. I had no issues whipping up a lather except for the first time. Found out that this soap is quite thirsty. Every time I used it with a Razor/blade combo I trusted, my skin would burn a bit afterwards and it qould feel raw the next day. I figured it was the tallow or fragrance upsetting my skin so I traded it.

Caties Bubbles La Marche de Rusage: Wonderful scent, aquatic and creamy I dare say. No trouble forming a lather, I got this soap because of the vegan base to see if it would behave differently than Stirling. Unfourtanely this soaps burns my fave a bit, not alarmingly so but enough to cause discomfort during the shave and about half hour after. Will probably end up trading this one.

Nobble Otter Monarch sample: I tried this soap twice with a trustworthy razor and blade combo. No burning but like Stirling it left my face feeling raw the next day. Amazing scent though.

The Artisans Soap Shoppe Black Market (tallow version): I just tried this last night using an R41 with a Nacet. I wasn't aiming for a close shave, but I got a DFS. The lather could have been better but that was on my end. However, today my face doesn't feel raw like the other 2 Tallow based soaps.

So I took a list at all the ingredients for the tallow based soaps that I have used so far, and guess what I found out. The two soaps that irritated my skin, Stirling and Otter Monarch, both habe lanolin in their ingredients list meawhile the Black Market doesn't. That leads me to believe I might have a small uncomfortable reaction with lanolin, hence my search for lanolin free shaving soaps.

So based on this what do you gents recommend? Might I be imagining all this and work on my technique? Has anyone else had an issue like mine?

What lanolin soaps do you guys recommend?

Thank you for taking the time to read and any input you might have.

Hi! I also have serious problems with lanolin. in the case of EUFROS soaps, just would like to point that Manuel offers a 100% vegan and lanolin free soaps, two soaps: GEA and TIERRA HÚMEDA. They’re superb in quality. GEA smells exactly like Gaultier’ Le Male, TIERRA HUMEDA exactly as described in its name (wet sand, just as the smell of the sand after the rain. In my opinion much better, if compared, that CF Summer Storm).

Catties I have no problem with any of them

Wholly Kaw vegans are absolutely superb for the skin

Chiseled Face, including Zoologist line (with 20% perfume oil essence), are totally recommended

Meissner Tremonia (paste) totally recommended and the after shave balm is a great for the skin (not the splash, very bad in my opinion)

Also Spanish (as Eufros) BYLUNA, they’re great vegan soaps without lanolin

And, of course, Phoenix Artisan, also superb, ck-6 fórmula performs great in my skin, no lanolin of course. I suggest Doppelgänger line.

(...) there are more and more but this selection could be my favourite-today

The best

truthfully I don't think I own a single soap with lanolin (edit: just Haslinger that I can think of), most of the major artisans don't have it

I suggest Soap Commander. Vegan based and no Lanolin. It's my primary soap, I hardly used anything else, never a problem with it.

John

Top Bottom