What's new

Artisan Shaving Products or Supermarket Shaving Products?

I’m not huge on artisans. A have maybe two artisan soaps in my den and virtually no artisan aftershave. Everthing else is regular supermarket stuff. One of the reason behind this is cost, since i feel artisan products tend to be more expensive. Plus I don’t notice a huge difference in quality, other than swankier packaging.

Do you have a preference, and why?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The term artisan has become pretty vague to me. For example, is Stirling soap an artisan product? Not sure. All I know is there are a ton of great products out there, including Stirling soap. I tend to just go for the stuff that gets me excited. Another is LEA cream - I just can’t wait to use it again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I tend to go for long established, good value, brands that have stood the test of time as there is a reason why they have done so. Nothing wrong with artisan products but but I do not like the idea of soaps or scents that change formula every five minutes rendering the old version obsolete. So, for soaps I like Tabac, MWF, and Old Spice, and for creams I prefer Proraso and TOBS although I no longer use creams apart from Cella, in the red tub, which in my climate is more like a soap in consistency. My aftershaves, colognes, and EDTs are almost exclusively vintage bottles often decades old as new scents or reformulations seem weak and short lived by comparison. For me vintage is generally better for no other reason than that it is old.

Another factor is location, especially for alcohol after shaves. Myrsol after shave is way more expensive in the US than in Spain, and I am told that a tube of Proraso cream costs close to nothing in Italy.

Another factor is location, especially for alcohol after shaves. Myrsol after shave is way more expensive in the US than in Spain, and I am told that a tube of Proraso cream costs close to nothing in Italy.
Yes, Proraso cream/soap costs 2€ in Italy.

I use supermarket products. I really like Noxzema shaving cream (the yellow one). Good smell and rich lather.

I prefer both so a local brand of India that prepares good products to a global supermarket brand like Nivea or Axe to an international artisan brand like Truefitt & Hill or TOBS (costly products in India) I have or had all. While buying shaving accessories it is not the cost that catches my attention rather the reviews have to be good. Generally do not do any blind purchase for colognes or shaving creams, after shaves or other related shaving accessories. Apart from reviews I do consider the best alternatives that fit in budget especially while buying artisan products.
PS - The only thing where I have not invested more is on a shaving brush. The costliest one I possess costs INR 2,000 (USD 27). Do plan to buy a Simpsons Chubby Badger/Synthetic in near future.

I like being able to run to a store and buying shave equipment, so I buy most things from local B&Ms. So PdP(both), Cade, and VDH are what I buy. Occasionally a Proraso Green.

Blades are the exception. There is such a huge difference in cost from buying 5-10 as opposed to 100.

I lean more towards the artisan options but I also have a threshold for my spendings. I think Stirling is a perfect medium for me because it provides everything that I need for a good value.

As for supermarket products, they work but they also dry out my skin the most. Couple exceptions are Cella and Palmolive shave cream. For some reason, my skin feels fine after using these so I enjoy them.

As for aftershaves, I use Skin Bracer once in a while but I'm not fan of alcohol based AS as it dries out my skin. Stirling witch hazel/balm does the work for my skin so I use those.

Supermarket etc are very limited overhere and I mean that even tabac might be a challenge sometimes you will find Palmolive and off course the cans of Wilkinson, Gillette.

so it is 95% outside of the big box stores for me.

I like supermarket and dollar store soaps and creams. I keep my expenditures as close to home as possible. In tis pandemic climate I save as much as possible whenever possible. I have no problem with canned goo or Williams or VDH soaps. I like Nivea sensitive gel as well. I have been using canned goo for over 50 years. It performs well enough.

I choose both. Some artisans excite and others do not, and I have same experience with certain mass produced products.

I had some DG artisan soaps that left me somewhat disappointed especially due to the higher artisan price point. Yet, a soap like LaToja which has a rather unremarkable boring scent is a product I find I am quite enthusiastic about. I also get a cheap thrill from proraso creams.

In the end it all boils down to your preferences. I have also learned from some trial and error who some of the members are here who have similar preferences to my own and I’m more open to trying certain things if I see their comments about a product are favorable.

I don't see this as an either/or Q&A. I enjoy both.

From my Proraso Green cream to my Dr. Jon soap, from my Afta aftershave to my Maggard Razors splash, from my 1990s Surrey boar to my brand new Simpson Chubby 2 synth, it's all good and part of the reason I enjoy the hobby.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
I have many artisan products and a handful of drug store stuff. I used Old Spice aftershave today. I have some Lustray stuff...I would consider Pinaud products not to be in the artisan category. Lucky Tiger aftershave...drug store. I use Mennen Skin Bracer and Osage Rub for a mix, Bootlegger's Green Freeze...both drug store level products. Arko shave soap...drug store? I have both really now that I think of it. If it works for me I'll get it.

As others pointed out, some fairly inexpensive but high quality products that US people cannot find in supermarkets are found in European markets, e.g., Tobac, Proraso. My initial step in returning to wet shaving as an adult was trying Kiss My Face soap found in Whole Foods. They also carry Weleda, a French and German product. I no longer use KMF, but still use Weleda and usually buy it online. I still use Tobac and Proraso, but also higher end soaps too. Except for Tobac cologne, most the rest of my scents are from the British 3 T's, Penhaligons or one of the artisans like Barrister and Mann or, more recently Stirliing

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Most of my stuff is from the shallow end of the pool. I've sampled very little in the way of premium products which are actually worth the additional outlay.

in the US supermarket products are very limited (as has been stated above) I really like variety and that's afforded through the artisan community crafting soaps and aftershaves based on my favorite scents. That said, I have Pinaud Clubman, Aqua Velva, Skin Bracer and English Leather on my aftershave shelf. I have a puck of VDH and Williams, but that's about the limit of the variety.

I would also expect to find harsher or more critical feedback to artisans. When paying a premium for product, our expectations are rightfully higher and I believe there is a taller soapbox for folks who are underwhelmed and disappointed with an artisan product To stand on and share their disappointment. With the typically bargain priced mass produced products I would assume expectations are lower and to find a product that just performs superbly it’s easier to share the pros of a given product.

Top Bottom