What's new

Artisan shaving brush (2-band silvertip badger) made in Mexico

Hello, gents!

I posted this a few days ago but it was considered as self-promotion. But I received permission to re-do the post in this section since the vendor is not registered here.

This is an artisan shaving brush made in Mexico. One of the few brush makers we have here: Don Ernesto.

Hair type: 2-band silvertip badger.
Knot: 24 mm
Loft: 52mm
Handle: Mexican desert ironwood (from the Sonoran Desert)

Here are some pictures:

Brush brand-new:
20220312_082410.jpg

After a month of daily use:
20220413_172654.jpg

Another pic:
20220413_172701.jpg

From another angle on its stand along my Böker Edelweiss:
20220413_172617.jpg

The tips are very soft and white. It has a very firm backbone; strong enough for soaps. It retains water very well too.
The handle as I mentioned is made from Mexican Ironwood (from the Sonoran Desert) which has very beautiful wood patterns and a colororing that goes from a very dark almost black brown hue that then changes to a reddish cognac-looking color. It's also quite a heavy handle which weighs about 90 grams making it a hefty brush. It's also thick, measuring 40mm at its widest, 32mm at its narrowest and its height is 60 mm. This size of handle makes it very comfortable for medium-sized to large hands and it's great for bowl lathering. However, given its firm backbone it's a very good brush for soaps as well.

Here are some pics in action...

Some soap build-up:
5bdej.jpg

Bowl-lathering time!
3bdej.jpg

Whipped-cream-like lather:
4bdej.jpg

Yet, another pic of that creamy lather. Have a look at the wet desert ironwood handle's colors too:
2bdej.jpg

You can find these at Home 5 - https://classic-shaving-supplies.com/

"Classic Shaving Supplies" is the name of Don Ernesto's son (Guillermo Jiménez) shaving products' company.

I hope you'd like to get one of these brushes. They're sold by Guillermo Jiménez on the aforementioned website or you can contact him directly on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/Classic-sha...18038966728902

His father makes the brushes using a wide variety of woods: desert ironwood, bogwood, American hickory, olivewood, ebony, amboina and some more.

This brush was (shipping within Mexico) $51 or $52 USD (around $1,300 Mexican pesos). But I have no idea how much shipping costs to foreign countries would be.

So, there you have another good option for artisan-made shaving brushes.
I thought I should share this with you.

Kind regards,
CoffeeAddict24

It is a nice-looking handle, and the shape looks like it would be comfortable to hold.
Are you by any chance able to compare the knot to any other knots out there?

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I went to the website but couldn't find a way to get it translated. I'm not that bright. I found the brushes and they do look beautiful.

I went to the website but couldn't find a way to get it translated. I'm not that bright. I found the brushes and they do look beautiful.
I used Google Chrome and it was translated automatically; of course the option to "Always translate pages in Spanish" was selected.

Last edited:

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I used Google Chrome and it was translated automatically. Of course the option to "Always translate pages in Spanish" was selected.
I'm on Chrome too and have the languages set to auto translate.... it didn't work for that site... I thought i had all the Spanish language types selected. Any suggestion as to what I'm missing?

Last edited:
I'm on Chrome too and have the languages set to auto translate.... it didn't work for that site... I thought i had all the Spanish types selected. Any suggestion as to what I'm missing?
Not meaning to hijack the thread, but... Interesting. I don't like to give out bad info so I followed the link using Chrome on both my phone and my laptop with the same result. I even visited the site using MS Edge and had it translated; Mozilla Firefox required the installation of an extension so I abandoned the test at that point. And now back to our regularly scheduled program...

If you go to the Google Translate homepage, enter the target site's URL, and choose Spanish to English translation, it gives you a link to the site with everything translated.

Just to save you from having to go through the process, here's the link that it output: https://classic--shaving--supplies-com.translate.goog/?_x_tr_sl=es&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en-US&_x_tr_pto=wapp

It did a pretty good job of translating everything as far as I can tell. Hopefully it works for you. :thumbup1:

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
If you go to the Google Translate homepage, enter the target site's URL, and choose Spanish to English translation, it gives you a link to the site with everything translated.

Just to save you from having to go through the process, here's the link that it output: https://classic--shaving--supplies-com.translate.goog/?_x_tr_sl=es&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en-US&_x_tr_pto=wapp

It did a pretty good job of translating everything as far as I can tell. Hopefully it works for you. :thumbup1:
thx

@Coffee Addict , if you're in touch with Don Ernesto maybe let him know that international shipping doesn't show as available on his site. Admittedly I have no idea what type of shipping restrictions from Mexico might exist, but if he's able to list the option on his site then potential buyers would be able to consider placing orders.

Reactions: bjm
Hello, gents!

I told Don Ernesto's son Guillermo this morning. He told me he'd do what he can on the website.

Anyway, you can contact him directly on Facebook: 登录或注册即可查看 - https://www.facebook.com/guillermo.jimenezmartinez.33

As far as I know he's able to communicate in English.

Guillermo also told me that you can send a Whatsapp or call him:
Guillermo Jiménez
+528120105559

The problem, he says, is shipping. Sometimes around $60 USD which makes his brushes $120 USD.

This is the first 2-band badger brush I own so I don't have many options to compare. However, I must say it performs very similar to Shavemac's D01. I had one in 24mm knot and it's just as effective but much softer tips.
I also owned a Rooney size 1 style 3 in silvertip badger but it was too soft and floppy for my liking. I guess that was due to the fan shape rather than the silvertip. I also own a Omega 618 in Super which is very soft but can be floppy. Yet, creates a rich lather but takes more time. The 2-band badger brush from Don Ernesto is soft as the Omega or Rooney on the tips, but with enough backbone like a Shavemac D01.

I lathered some Tabac this morning with this brush and got a great lather quite quickly.
Stropped my Böker Extra Hollow on a Tony Miller's Horsehide strop and got a BBS shave.
This is a pretty decent brush.

Anyway, shipping costs aside you have many options for the handle: amboina wood, bog wood, desert ironwood, ebony, palma negra (that's Spanish for "black palm"), olivewood, cocobolo and some others. But you'd have to ask him for what kind of woods are available.
And for the knots, they have synthetics, horse and of course badger hair including silvertip and 2-band. They use 22, 24 and 26 mm knots on their brushes.

Kind regards,
CoffeeAddict

Top Bottom