What's new

Artisan Shave Sticks (DIY)

Hi All,

So I had a "shower idea" while shaving this morning using my Tabac Shave Stick regarding shaving sticks and wanted to throw it out here/brainstorm it. Has anyone come up with a good way or method of making some type of shave stick from artisan soaps? Was thinking about how much I enjoyed the simplicity and speed and mess free process of using my Tabac shave stick combined with face lathering and wished I could have that with more soaps.

Like it would be wonderful to have a shave stick of Barrister and Mann Reserve soaps or Wholly Kaw soaps or Grooming Department. I know peopke have made shave sticks with Cella and some of the softer soaps but I'm thinking more about the harder Artisan ones. Any advice? Suggestions? Anyone done this before?

The harder soap pucks can just be used as is as a stick.
DSCN0699.JPG

Soft soaps like Wholly Kaw, I just plaster a glob onto the top of my Arko stick. I get about a week out of a glob. That is the last of a VDH puck, that I was using as a stick, that is stuck onto the Arko stick in the picture.

All you need is one of these twist-up containers:
proxy.php

Available at Maggard's or any of a zillion other places. Or just use an empty deodorant container.

Either smush or cut up a harder soap into the container and then you're set.

twist up tubes, deodorant sticks... whatever. it works like a charm on just about any soap. smush/grate/slice... just pack it in.

some guys have even done softer soaps and croaps.

I've been doing it for years, and others here showed me the way back when

eh, just about any artisan shave soap puck or croap can be easily face-lathered!
after all, it's not rocket science, just soap!!

strop shoppe london morning rooney filarmonica pashana february 19 2018.jpg

Thank you all for the incredibly helpful and straight forward answers here on this. I was clearly over thinking it like how I would melt the soap down and re-pour it etc..

Looks like I have a fun new weekend project. :)

I cut smallish pieces off a hard soap using a butter knife and press them back into a stick container.

For softer artisan soaps I suspect one could also use the stick container much like a cookie cutter (especially a round one which could be twisted back and forth) to load the stick.

All you need is one of these twist-up containers:
proxy.php

Available at Maggard's or any of a zillion other places. Or just use an empty deodorant container.

Either smush or cut up a harder soap into the container and then you're set.

+1! WCS also has something similar. Most soaps can be converted to sticks.

Thank you all for the incredibly helpful and straight forward answers here on this. I was clearly over thinking it like how I would melt the soap down and re-pour it etc..

Looks like I have a fun new weekend project. :)

do NOT melt a tallow soap. I wouldn't melt any soap. I think glycerin based soaps are safe to, but I wouldn't take a chance on any of them. if you grate soap that isn't triple milled, I stick it in the freezer for at least an hour. it stays firmer while grating and doesn't melt down small portions with friction on the grate and stick to it. it's just a bit cleaner and easier that way, with no real damage to the soap.

Thanks for the grating tips! I actually stopped at Walmart this morning and bought a few $0.99 travel deodorant sticks that I plan to use as artisan shave sticks. Should be easy enough to pop the deodorant out and make a shave stick.

Good suggestion on the freezing btw, greatly appreciate that. That'll help me not ruin my grater....

I have grated up MWF and LEA classic hard soaps and packed them into travel tubes. Add in a Speick stick and my travel kit is looking pretty luxurious without too much bulk :)

Just made a stick of Boellis Panama 1924 for a trip to NYC at the end of March. Used a old glue stick. Hope it works otherwise I have a stop at Pastures Pharmacy anyway
20190227_121017.jpg

Top Bottom