What's new

Artisan rant

I an glad this thread sparked such an interest guys :) also thank you all for understanding this was just my ventilation post and that nobody posted any hate comments about what I wrote except for the R-units but I understand why eventhough I use this term as a internet joke for metric units.
To the responder that said it seem as joke post it is not. My friends are not into wet shaving and would not understand me so I posted here because some of you will :)

Also I thank to the posters that showed me we have unicorn/zombie farts/tears in soaps, it really made me laugh :D

Lol, I tend to blow of steam once in a while, too! On the subject of the Metric System, we did not adopt it upon the founding of the United States because the ship carrying the standards from Paris was taken by pirates and said standards never arrived -- the Kilogram standard is still in existance somewhere in the Carribean I believe, it was on the news in the last couple years. Jefferson very much wanted a rationalized system of measurement (although you can debate the "rationality" of basing distance measurements on the distance from the center of Paris to the North Pole). Note that one of the issues causing the Revolution was lack of protection from pirates along the Eastern seaboard and arguments about who was going to pay for it. Naturally the colonists wanted ironclad protection but at no cost, and strongly objected to being taxed for it. Sound familiar?

The US officially adopted the Metric system of measurement in 1911, and since that time the Army has been metric base. The Navy still uses the British system (NOT SAE, because the Society of Automotive Engineers didn't exist in 1911). SAE became standard in the late 20's I believe, before that you had to have the wrenches from any particular manufacturer to work on their cars because they made their own "english" sizes. Some were and some were NOT based on the same "inch".

On the subject of artisan soap scents, I find the scent content of almost all "artisan" soaps, shaving or otherwise, to be overpowering. I've been teased for being over-sensitive, but I scent my bath soaps at a few percent of the rate suggested on the soap making forums and am quite happy. Just my nose, I guess. The soaps themselves range from OK to superb, but making good shaving soap isn't rocket science, you just need to access the literature from 1900 or so.....

Lol, I tend to blow of steam once in a while, too! On the subject of the Metric System, we did not adopt it upon the founding of the United States because the ship carrying the standards from Paris was taken by pirates and said standards never arrived -- the Kilogram standard is still in existance somewhere in the Carribean I believe, it was on the news in the last couple years. Jefferson very much wanted a rationalized system of measurement (although you can debate the "rationality" of basing distance measurements on the distance from the center of Paris to the North Pole). Note that one of the issues causing the Revolution was lack of protection from pirates along the Eastern seaboard and arguments about who was going to pay for it. Naturally the colonists wanted ironclad protection but at no cost, and strongly objected to being taxed for it. Sound familiar?

The US officially adopted the Metric system of measurement in 1911, and since that time the Army has been metric base. The Navy still uses the British system (NOT SAE, because the Society of Automotive Engineers didn't exist in 1911). SAE became standard in the late 20's I believe, before that you had to have the wrenches from any particular manufacturer to work on their cars because they made their own "english" sizes. Some were and some were NOT based on the same "inch".

On the subject of artisan soap scents, I find the scent content of almost all "artisan" soaps, shaving or otherwise, to be overpowering. I've been teased for being over-sensitive, but I scent my bath soaps at a few percent of the rate suggested on the soap making forums and am quite happy. Just my nose, I guess. The soaps themselves range from OK to superb, but making good shaving soap isn't rocket science, you just need to access the literature from 1900 or so.....
And baking the SI sucks for baking. Great for everything else under the sun but not baking.

Don't get me started on SI. Great for astrophysics, pretty hard to manage at the human level. Every measurement seems to be in millions of something, or one billionth.

Newb chiming in here! I agree with Samhain a little, because there is SO MUCH artisanal drama, that choosing a soap for the first time was a tad overwhelming. Guys, a little secret: ITS JUST SOAP! <— I heard this in “Sam Kinnison” as I typed it. :-D ALL of the soaps I’ve tried have been really good to great, from Conk all the way on up to Barrister. One important lesson: I will probably do triple-milled soaps from here on out, because they are the best on my skin, last the longest, and are OODLES more economical than ANY other setup (for me). But I had to spend like $80 to find that out. In any case, I’m happy to be on here, and to have learned a new (old) way of doing things, which makes my skin look FANTASTIC.

Newb chiming in here! I agree with Samhain a little, because there is SO MUCH artisanal drama, that choosing a soap for the first time was a tad overwhelming. Guys, a little secret: ITS JUST SOAP! <— I heard this in “Sam Kinnison” as I typed it. :-D ALL of the soaps I’ve tried have been really good to great, from Conk all the way on up to Barrister. One important lesson: I will probably do triple-milled soaps from here on out, because they are the best on my skin, last the longest, and are OODLES more economical than ANY other setup (for me). But I had to spend like $80 to find that out. In any case, I’m happy to be on here, and to have learned a new (old) way of doing things, which makes my skin look FANTASTIC.

In the words of the great philosopher Dale Gribble, “Welcome, friend!”

Ok, they have Unicorn Farts, but how about Bull Milk?
lol - great movie!
1580006271439.png

One important lesson: I will probably do triple-milled soaps from here on out, because they are the best on my skin, last the longest, and are OODLES more economical than ANY other setup (for me). But I had to spend like $80 to find that out. In any case, I’m happy to be on here, and to have learned a new (old) way of doing things, which makes my skin look FANTASTIC.

Sounds like you are several hundred dollars ahead than the rest of us here! Congratulations on finding what works best for YOU!

proxy.php

Sounds like you are several hundred dollars ahead than the rest of us here! Congratulations on finding what works best for YOU!

proxy.php
Haha! I do owe you (and someone else I forgot) a special thanks for helping me get into BM Vespers. It's expensive, but as yet the ONLY soap which will allow me to do multiple passes on my neck region during the Winter. Jar should last a couple more seasons at least.

I did enjoy trying out all of the different products, of which there are a LOT. Knightsbridge is my favorite cream, and I may keep a cream or two around for when my skin needs "pampering." :) However, it does seem like triple and quad milled soaps are the KING of economics without sacrificing quality. So many good things out there; hard to settle on just one!

Top Bottom