What's new

Artisan deodorants or other options?

Do any of the artisan shaving soap brands also make underarm deodorants? I've always had a really hard time finding deodorant scents that I actually like. Now that i see there is a whole world of small businesses making amazing scents I wish there were a few making deodorants as well. Keep in mind that I'm referring to a standard deodorant, not anti-antiperspirant and not any of the wildly overpriced natural deodorants that don't work at all (but do come in some nice scents).

I've heard some people recommend alum blocks as an unscented deodorant. Perhaps that there is a way to combine that with some kind of scented splash or whatever to get the desired result.

Do any of the artisan shaving soap brands also make underarm deodorants? I've always had a really hard time finding deodorant scents that I actually like. Now that i see there is a whole world of small businesses making amazing scents I wish there were a few making deodorants as well. Keep in mind that I'm referring to a standard deodorant, not anti-antiperspirant and not any of the wildly overpriced natural deodorants that don't work at all (but do come in some nice scents).

I've heard some people recommend alum blocks as an unscented deodorant. Perhaps that there is a way to combine that with some kind of scented splash or whatever to get the desired result.
Pure salts (alum) or “Crystal “ sticks worked fantastic for me until they didn’t. It took maybe a week and then voilà, incredible perfection. This lasted 2 months and then I began to develop a rash. I have gone back a few times over the years and it just doesn’t perform for me long term. Truly excellent for a few months or so and it might work much better for you. They are inexpensive so I say go for it. I cannot attest to your other question.

Pure salts (alum) or “Crystal “ sticks worked fantastic for me until they didn’t. It took maybe a week and then voilà, incredible perfection. This lasted 2 months and then I began to develop a rash. I have gone back a few times over the years and it just doesn’t perform for me long term. Truly excellent for a few months or so and it might work much better for you. They are inexpensive so I say go for it. I cannot attest to your other question.
I've been using an alum block for a few weeks and so far it's been working very well. That being said, I wouldn't be shocked if I had a similar experience to you after prolonged use. Time will tell.

I've been thinking about a DIY spray deodorant for some time. I finally made my first batch. It was over 80F today, and I was outside for a couple hours in the late afternoon, early evening. After all that, smell test said it worked. Better smell test was my wife agreed.

After reading many sites, I wanted a liquid mixture that would stay mixed (in theory). I also wanted something that could kill odor-causing germs (right?). I determined that odor-causing particles should not survive a 60%+ alcohol solution. I read (on the internet, so...) that ethyl in general is better than isopropyl for repeated use on the skin. I used Everclear 151, unscented Witch Hazel, and some old cologne. In a future batch, I may plunk down dollars for witch hazel hydrosol, or hops, or Everclear 190 :). Heck, essential oils are easier than cologne, but, I had enough old cologne from the 20th century, so why not use some on my pits?

I just wanted to use what I had in the house in the end. I did my math using a spreadsheet, and tried to make sure that the overall alcohol content was over 60% (Everclear has water, Witch Hazel has alcohol, and who knows what's in old cologne).

In the end, I used 60 mL 151, 5 mL Witch Hazel, and 5 mL old cologne. If my math is correct, this should be about 65% alcohol. Put it into an old plastic spray bottle. I did shake it in the morning, and used 3 sprays under each arm. It did the trick. Smells nice more than 12 hours afterwards. No side effects (e.g., no skin irritation) but this is day one.

Just sharing.

I like Bad@ss Beard Care‘s all natural deodorant. They make about 15-20 different scents, it lasts all day, and the wife approves of their scents. They scents are targeted towards middle aged men…no powdery or wimpy scents plus they’re not so overpowering like grandma’s perfume.

PAA has a number of them that match their soaps and aftershaves.
Since I started this thread I have switched to using an alum block as my deodorant. I wet the block, thoroughly rub it around my pits, and it works like a miracle. Absolutely no odor even after a long day. I have also since discovered how great PAA scents are so I've purchased a number of their aftershave colognes and solid colognes as a nice but not overpowering way to wear a fragrance since I no longer use a scented deodorant. They do sell alum based deodorants but they are little greasy and I find it to be more cost effective to just use the other products along with the alum block.

I know PAA has a somewhat controversial reputation around here but boy do they make some great fragrances, and I've NEVER been into colognes. I'm particularly fond of Solstice, Boomtown Bay Rum, Tribute, and Copalli as my everyday daytime scents.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
I've been thinking about a DIY spray deodorant for some time. I finally made my first batch. It was over 80F today, and I was outside for a couple hours in the late afternoon, early evening. After all that, smell test said it worked. Better smell test was my wife agreed.

After reading many sites, I wanted a liquid mixture that would stay mixed (in theory). I also wanted something that could kill odor-causing germs (right?). I determined that odor-causing particles should not survive a 60%+ alcohol solution. I read (on the internet, so...) that ethyl in general is better than isopropyl for repeated use on the skin. I used Everclear 151, unscented Witch Hazel, and some old cologne. In a future batch, I may plunk down dollars for witch hazel hydrosol, or hops, or Everclear 190 :). Heck, essential oils are easier than cologne, but, I had enough old cologne from the 20th century, so why not use some on my pits?

I just wanted to use what I had in the house in the end. I did my math using a spreadsheet, and tried to make sure that the overall alcohol content was over 60% (Everclear has water, Witch Hazel has alcohol, and who knows what's in old cologne).

In the end, I used 60 mL 151, 5 mL Witch Hazel, and 5 mL old cologne. If my math is correct, this should be about 65% alcohol. Put it into an old plastic spray bottle. I did shake it in the morning, and used 3 sprays under each arm. It did the trick. Smells nice more than 12 hours afterwards. No side effects (e.g., no skin irritation) but this is day one.

Just sharing.

Dude, you may have cracked the code on a better deodorant, then what comes from mass produced brands. If this ends up being successful, then I'd suggest you just found a business idea, and can start making it and selling it to us B&B'ers. I am a mechanic who also does lawncare on the side, I am always in need of a deodorant that smells good, but can actually last. And I too, don't want no antiperspirant. Last time I tried that stuff, it made my pits raw and itchy as heck!

Dude, you may have cracked the code on a better deodorant, then what comes from mass produced brands. If this ends up being successful, then I'd suggest you just found a business idea, and can start making it and selling it to us B&B'ers. I am a mechanic who also does lawncare on the side, I am always in need of a deodorant that smells good, but can actually last. And I too, don't want no antiperspirant. Last time I tried that stuff, it made my pits raw and itchy as heck!
Although it may well kill bacteria, it's the bacteria's "excretions" that are responsible for the odour. Killing our natural bacteria can have unintended consequences. There is also a lot more to formulating a deodorant. Baking soda was used long before the Hippy movement adopted it, that provides moisture absorption. But it can cause irritation in too high a quantity, adding clay takes up some of this. I used nothing else for the better part of a decade. If you are going to absorb some of the sweat, you are stuck with either solid or pasty liquid that you smear on. Fun. Getting a solid base is relatively easy for somebody already formulating skin care products, it just needs to be able to spread without clumping. Then you get into odour reduction, which the clay and baking soda help with. There are other things people add with varying degrees of success. The main point is, you need some moisture absorbency without clogging pores and something for the odour without a scorched earth policy. I have heard of women using baby wipes or equivalent mid day and re-applying deodorant, but that shouldn't be necessary. We shower more often than historically, but are more conscious than ever about having ANY odour. In some ways we are crazier than the Edwardians when they finally accepted germ theory.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I too kicked most mass market deodorant antiperspirant. I have had good luck with the crystal alum, l’occitane, Taylor of bond street and duke cannon. I usually don’t use the same thing every day. I’m also at a loss as to why most artisans don’t make deodorant. Like stirling and wsp. There’s an inordinate focus on beard balm from shave 🪒 artisans. I think shave soap and beard stuff is mutually exclusive.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
I too kicked most mass market deodorant antiperspirant. I have had good luck with the crystal alum, l’occitane, Taylor of bond street and duke cannon. I usually don’t use the same thing every day. I’m also at a loss as to why most artisans don’t make deodorant. Like stirling and wsp. There’s an inordinate focus on beard balm from shave 🪒 artisans. I think shave soap and beard stuff is mutually exclusive.

Nice to see you around today Rhody, I've missed you buddy! I agree, I do not understand why artisans don't make deodorant. We need to have more artisans making safe deodorant for us to use. If Stirling or Captains Choice made deodorants for our pits, I've be all over that product. Yes sir!

Razorock makes deodorant. Artisan deodorants take a little bit longer to apply because you have to soften it against your warm skin before you spread it on. It doesn't yellow my white shirts.

There are many others. Check out your favorite soap makers if they have matching scented deodorants.

There are mass market deodorants from shaving brands like Speick, Tabac, Weleda, Cremo, Every Man Jack, etc. that have nice scents.

I have been using Every Man Jack Cedarwood for the past few weeks. Do not recommend unfortunately. I like the scent, the “natural” ingredients, and the feel of it upon application. Where it fails is performance. In the warm weather, my pits develop a noticeable odour after only a few hours. I tried reapplying it during the day but that didn’t help much and now I’m going through it very quickly. Probably the worst performing deodorant I’ve used, and I’ve used many. I’m guessing this is due to the “natural” ingredients.
Prior to that I had Jack Black Pit Boss. Not particularly fond of the scent but otherwise worked very well and lasted a long time, although it is pricey.
Would like to try PAA, not sure where to buy their deodorants in Canada.

I would love to think I've cracked a code. All I can say is that I've been using and spraying this homemade concoction since then (except for a trip where I used a good ol' Brut stick), with no irritation at all, and I still smell clean at the end of the day. Given what @APBinNCA wrote, there's always a reason to hesitate with things like this. I'm just one data point out there.

As for killing natural bacteria, I hope drinking some raw milk will help me ;)

I would offer one other suggestion: Shaving your armpits. I was an amateur competitive cyclist at one point and discovered the benefits from the cycling ritual of a clean shaven body for competitions. A number of studies also suggest the benefits of shaving armpits as a result of reducing the ability to harbor bacteria, along with removing hair that can hold on to body odor. I rarely use deodorant on a normal day and find wipes effective as a preventative, particularly if I can't access a shower after some form of heavy exertion.

I would offer one other suggestion: Shaving your armpits. I was an amateur competitive cyclist at one point and discovered the benefits from the cycling ritual of a clean shaven body for competitions. A number of studies also suggest the benefits of shaving armpits as a result of reducing the ability to harbor bacteria, along with removing hair that can hold on to body odor. I rarely use deodorant on a normal day and find wipes effective as a preventative, particularly if I can't access a shower after some form of heavy exertion.
Yikes! That makes perfect sense but stubble in the pits would be very uncomfortable. How often do you need to shave?

Yikes! That makes perfect sense but stubble in the pits would be very uncomfortable. How often do you need to shave?
I don't have a specific schedule but I would say once every 1-1.5 weeks, or if I start noticing any off odor towards the end of the day. You don't need complete BBS to see the benefits so some minor regrowth seems fine. Also, I have never had an issue with felt stubble or irritation, assuming good prep of the area prior to shaving. While I am sure each person is different, most areas of body hair, in my experience, have a different texture than facial hair. At least for myself, it tends to be softer and easier to shave.

I don't have a specific schedule but I would say once every 1-1.5 weeks, or if I start noticing any off odor towards the end of the day. You don't need complete BBS to see the benefits so some minor regrowth seems fine. Also, I have never had an issue with felt stubble or irritation, assuming good prep of the area prior to shaving. While I am sure each person is different, most areas of body hair, in my experience, have a different texture than facial hair. At least for myself, it tends to be softer and easier to shave.
Shave with a blade, wow. Do you have a dedicated brush? Is that a weird question?

Top Bottom