What's new

Article on "in-hand" honing - weigh in!

Hi folks!

I am writing an article on the benefits of "in-hand" honing - particularly when honing and stropping straight razors. Although many of you know what I mean, let me explain. The typical person using a hone, places it down on a flat surface and, using a variety of techniques, proceeds through stones of various grits, and later on to strops, to sharpen their blade. Let me make it clear that I am talking about "freehanded" honing here. If you are using a sharpening system or something else that holds the blade, you must follow the instructions for that system.

I have personally experienced many benefits of holding the hone in my hand while using it, rather than placing it on a table or bench as is more commonly done. But rather than go into my reasons for this right now, I am more interested in what YOU think. I am particularly curious about what experienced honemeisters do in their own shops. Since this is for an article, if you choose to comment, please mention in your response if you do NOT wish your name used in the documentation portion of the finished article. I will honor ALL anonymity requests.

thanks in advance for your personal opinions!

I often touch up in-hand, but rarely finish that way. Out of ~80 blades, I think I finished one or two free hand.

I know of a lot of guys that hone by hand, most coticule guys do it actually.
I tend to mix techniques and bench hone and if the stone is small or narrow I will hand hold it.

I would not hold a Norton 4/8K in my hand for example, too heavy and would wobble and shift too much.

I use the bench holder for my DMT's to set the bevel. Beyond that every stone I use I hold in the hand to hone. Just feels more natural and since I only like to use natural hones....:001_rolle

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I think you get better feedback holding the hone in your hand- it allows for a lighter touch during the finishing stage.

Let me make it clear that I am talking about "freehanded" honing here. If you are using a sharpening system or something else that holds the blade, you must follow the instructions for that system.

I'm not sure what you mean here. It's a razor, not a knife. What's going to hold the blade other than your hand? :blink:

Top Bottom